[CAN] Castle Plaza Shopping Centre Redevelopment

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Cam
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: #Proposed - Castle Plaza redevelopment

#46 Post by Cam » Thu May 15, 2008 11:55 pm

Demolition work on some parts of the site begins next week. Hills Clearance Centre building to be dismantled.
Adelaide, Saudi Australia.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#47 Post by rhino » Fri May 16, 2008 10:54 am

Cam wrote: Hills Clearance Centre building to be dismantled.
Damn! That's a good place to get stuff!
cheers,
Rhino

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#48 Post by Ben » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:59 pm

More development for the area. From The Advertiser:
AN INDUSTRIAL site next to Castle Plaza Shopping Centre will be redeveloped as a 14,000sqm bulky goods site, after property developer Aretzis Group bought the block for $10.3 million.

Aretzis Group director Dimitri Aretzis said the retail use would be a vast improvement on the site's history as a plastics factory and its location made it an ideal retail site.

"I knew there was a potential for bulky goods retail,'' he said.

"It is on an arterial road with a left inward turn and a right-hand turn and is a huge site. It has good fundamentals, good exposure.''

CB Richard Ellis negotiated the sale, which settled last week. CB Richard Ellis director John Savva said the project would take advantage of the state of SA's bulky goods sector.

"There is a real consolidation in that particular area, whereas the Mile End consolidation happened some time ago,'' he said.

"Gepps Cross is evolving into one of the biggest bulky goods complexes and will take care of the inner east, and with Marion property being short this is the right thing for South Rd.

"And then there is speculation with Colonial First State and the evolution of bulky goods there.''
Colonial First State, which owns the Castle Plaza Shopping Centre on South Rd, recently purchased an adjoining site for potential expansion of the centre.

Mr Savva said interest from national retailers was strong as they searched for expansion openings in the under-represented SA bulky goods sector.

Rentals are expected to be around $195/sqm. This is at the high end of the retail market, but Mr Savva said the area's residential density and demographics justified the price.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#49 Post by Norman » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:05 pm

Good to see the eyesore go. But I do hope they leave some room on South Road for additional infrastructure.

rhino

#50 Post by rhino » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:51 pm

"Gepps Cross is evolving into one of the biggest bulky goods complexes and will take care of the inner east"

Oh my God! They've moved Gepps Cross! :shock:
cheers,
Rhino

Pat28
High Rise Poster!

#51 Post by Pat28 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:03 pm

rhino wrote:"Gepps Cross is evolving into one of the biggest bulky goods complexes and will take care of the inner east"

Ahh, What is this!! :shock: :shock: Where is Gepps Cross now? :D
Besser Verkehr in den Bergen

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#52 Post by monotonehell » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:22 am

rhino wrote:"Gepps Cross is evolving into one of the biggest bulky goods complexes and will take care of the inner east"

No it's still where it was. They're comparing the three sites, saying that Gepps Cross is doing well, so another similar function can be performed by the Castle Plaza site.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

rhino

#53 Post by rhino » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:05 am

monotonehell wrote:

No it's still where it was. They're comparing the three sites, saying that Gepps Cross is doing well, so another similar function can be performed by the Castle Plaza site.
:lol: :lol: You crack me up, Mono!
cheers,
Rhino

blackbug87
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#54 Post by blackbug87 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:10 am

So with the site bought, does this mean that there will be no expansion of the shopping centre.
I know Target have suffered several break ins at the former entrance to the "Target Home" store, which is no longer used, but they're hesitant on demolishing it incase they build a mall across it, in which case it will become a second entrance again...

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#55 Post by Ben » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:32 am

blackbug87 wrote:So with the site bought, does this mean that there will be no expansion of the shopping centre.
I know Target have suffered several break ins at the former entrance to the "Target Home" store, which is no longer used, but they're hesitant on demolishing it incase they build a mall across it, in which case it will become a second entrance again...

Think you are getting confused. The castle plaza upgrade is still going ahead but on top of that on the site adjacent Castle Plaza there is being redeveloped intop a bulky goods site.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#56 Post by SRW » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:37 pm

Anyone know the address of Aretzis development?
Keep Adelaide Weird

MrMelrose
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#57 Post by MrMelrose » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:32 pm

I hate Myer, and 'upmarket' :roll: David Jones! KMart sucks - the stores layout needs changing, and service is near to none :!: . Big W is good (Cumb Pk. esp.), Harris Scarfe is good, although I havent shopped there for quite a while, and Target has always been the perfect store for Castle Plaza - it was there long before there was a Castle Plaza. Theyre gonna need to up the number of mens clothing stores when they re-develop, because Castle Plaza currently has 6 womens clothing stores :evil: outnumbering 1 Mens store, something I've disliked about it for quite a while. Its my closest shopping centre and it doesnt really have a good range of specialty stores. Hopefully they put a Cheap as Chips or a Cunno's in the new part, and bring back Tandy's to the centre, and have a JB HiFi. And certainly no more jewellery stores!!!
For a number of years I've been hoping theyd do this because I like how Tea Tree Plaza has Tea Tree Plus. I heard that when they re-developed last time, Harris Scarfe wouldnt take up their offer because it was too close to Marion for them to open a store at C.P. I wish Myer had the same view! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

waz94
Gold-Member ;)

#58 Post by waz94 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:08 pm

Does anyone have any plans of this development. I have heard that a rumour that they will blocking off Raglan Ave at the South Rd end to remove another set of lights at this intersection. This part of south rd is terrible in peak hour traffic due to all the lights.
Was thinking that they could re-direct Raglan ave around onto Ackland Street and have one set of lights at this intersection where it meets Edward Street. Would make sense and would be easy enough to do whilst they have demolished a large section of Hills Industries just past the railway intersection.
Have heard very little of this development and as live in the area would love to know what the plans are considering its proximity and importance to non-stop South Road.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#59 Post by Shuz » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:29 pm

I agree 100%. I hope they do exactly that.

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#60 Post by Prince George » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:31 pm

This is an interesting example of how a non-stop South Road sounds appealing to the people who are looking to travel long distances along it (Hackam to Elizabeth, for example), but less so for those who want to access the things that are actually on it (eg the people living in the areas around it). In this case, it risks becoming a vehicular moat protecting Castle Plaza from the ravenous hordes of the neighbourhoods to the East that threaten to pillage it. And it likewise becomes hard to access from the south-bound side of South Road.