Top of the Myer centre

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
YokohamaBoy
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Top of the Myer centre

#1 Post by YokohamaBoy » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:21 pm

Like everyone else I'm of the opinion that the top of the Myer centre is huge waste of space. I haven't been up there since I was like 4 so I really don't know what the layout is like, but I'm sure something could be done with it. Just taking Tokyo as an example, here all department stores have nice restaurants at their top levels. They always have large windows to take advantage of the city views. Couldn't we do that with the Myer centre? I would have thought that the Myer centre would have some really nice views from the top levels.

I don't know if this is feasible. From my (very hazy) memory there might not actually be any large windows up there. But if it could be accomplished, you could end up with some fancy restaurants with really great views over the city.

What do you guys think?

The Scooter Guy
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Top of the Myer centre

#2 Post by The Scooter Guy » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:38 pm

Like Brisbane's version, the Myer centre could have cinemas rather than Dazzleland sitting vacant like a lemon! The escalators to the top levels have been 'glassed up', rendering entry near impossible. A few signs of Dazzleland remain however for example:
Attachments
dazzelandcoffeeshop.png
dazzelandcoffeeshop.png (280.52 KiB) Viewed 5040 times
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#3 Post by fabricator » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:28 pm

The upper floors have one downside, they are part of that building !

The lifts are crazy and more like an amusement ride themselves, the escalators are slightly dangerous and involve far too much walking from one flight to the next. The sane way to get to floor #3 was to use the escalators in Myers.

Had they built Dazzleland in a normal multi story shopping center it might have survived. But when the first scary ride is getting to floor #5 you have to wonder what the builder's were thinking.
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by Howie » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:32 pm

I heard on the rumour mill that the centre operators were talking about opening an Louis Vuitton store up there along with other designer brands. That was earlier this year.

YokohamaBoy
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#5 Post by YokohamaBoy » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:19 pm

HIgh end brand names sounds like a good idea to me. Would also give people a reason to shop in the city. Brands you can't get out in the suburbs.

Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

#6 Post by Splashmo » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:03 pm

I don't see Louis Vuitton or Versace moving up to the top of the dingy old Myer Centre.

Adelaide doesn't really have a high-end luxury street in the CBD. Brisbane didn't either, so they built that swanky new arcade with David Jones and all the other luxury brands.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#7 Post by monotonehell » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:43 pm

Splashmo wrote:I don't see Louis Vuitton or Versace moving up to the top of the dingy old Myer Centre.

Adelaide doesn't really have a high-end luxury street in the CBD. Brisbane didn't either, so they built that swanky new arcade with David Jones and all the other luxury brands.
Rundle street used to be such in the 1990s, and seems to be returning to same with places like SABA and those others opening. In the mid to late '90s, for some reason, the high end places that were there moved out to Hyde Park.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#8 Post by Nathan » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:31 pm

monotonehell wrote:
Splashmo wrote:I don't see Louis Vuitton or Versace moving up to the top of the dingy old Myer Centre.

Rundle street used to be such in the 1990s, and seems to be returning to same with places like SABA and those others opening. In the mid to late '90s, for some reason, the high end places that were there moved out to Hyde Park.
Wasn't there talk with the CC developments of trying to attract some of those high-end retailers - particularly in the GPO and in the lane way alongside it and Electra House?

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#9 Post by Will » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:46 pm

I think the Makris proposal (imagine 88) at the old Le Cornu site is supposed to be our new high-end retail precinct.

adam_stuckey
High Rise Poster!

#10 Post by adam_stuckey » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:49 am

Will wrote:

I think the Makris proposal (imagine 88) at the old Le Cornu site is supposed to be our new high-end retail precinct.
New stores always claim to have 'high end fashion' but usually end up with Target and Go-Lo but with top restaurants its a bit risky when it could just turn into a food court i think cinemas would do the best there considering there aren't any mainstream ones in town (which i can't understand)
To try to put it in some sort of perspective the World Cup is as big as having 2 grand finals a day for a month

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#11 Post by Shuz » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:20 pm

I'd be fairly sure someone's already thought of opening cinemas up in the Myer Centre, but I think realistically, the structural reconfiguration of doing so would actually compromise the structural integrity for the rest of the building. Remember, it was built for Dazzle-land and shops, not a cinema - whereas Melbourne Central actually accommodated for the cinemas as part of its construction (which is obviously where the idea's spurred from).

Would be too late to make a recommendation now, but Harris Scarfe could've raked in a fair bit of moolah in building new cinemas as part of their redevelopment. They have a very large, and rare site in the city centre - one of the few good ones remaining capable of encompassing cinematic presence. Shame, another oppurtunity lost. Same goes for City Cross - which if memory serves, wasn't a 20 level office tower initially meant to built on site?

Would be another good 10-15 years before either Myer or David Jones look at renovating their premises and or expanding... David Jones are actually in a bit of a compromised position, because they can't expand anymore than they already are limited to - try resolving parking issues with the 225 North Terrace apartment building atop!

If I had to make any bets - I'd say they'd seek redevelopment on the Central Markets site - utilising the Supreme Court building (as it used to be a department store) for their fashion outlet - would be a perfect match to their identity as seen in Sydney's Elizabeth Street store. Central Markets has always been touted for redevelopment - possibly sooner than you'd think - getting a little gritty and rundown; good candidate for new city cinemas again.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#12 Post by Will » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:10 pm

Placing cinemas in the Central market would ruin everything that makes the Central market special. Instead it would turn into another plastic sterile shopping mall. no thanks, how boring! The fact that the Central Market is a bit gritty is what makes it special.

The only parts of the central market I would consider redeveloping is its entrance and associated arcade fronting Vic Square, however without ruining the market's mojo.

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#13 Post by cruel_world00 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:47 pm

The only parts of the central market I would consider redeveloping is its entrance and associated arcade fronting Vic Square, however without ruining the market's mojo.

Let's not forget the hideous Coles Grote Street Entrance. So horrible.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#14 Post by AtD » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:18 pm

Agreed. The whole Grote Street side of the arcade next to the Central Markets is horrible. With the blank wall of Coles and the loading dock, it's a barrier between Victoria Square and Grote Street.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#15 Post by monotonehell » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:18 pm

adam_stuckey wrote:New stores always claim to have 'high end fashion' but usually end up with Target and Go-Lo but with top restaurants its a bit risky when it could just turn into a food court i think cinemas would do the best there considering there aren't any mainstream ones in town (which i can't understand)
Palace Nova is a Mainstream cinema + a World cinema with something like 8 screens. PLUS you can buy a friggin' beer or wine and drink it in the cinema. Stumpjumper might be interested to see that they are playing Beautiful Kate, a movie made recently in South Australia with help from the SAFilmCorp. ;)
http://www.cinemanova.com.au/SA/default.htm

Also there's the three screens at Piccadilly North Adelaide.
http://www.wallis.com.au/piccadilly.html

I'd rather go to either of those who do a much better job than Hoyts anywhere or Marion. In fact I'm going to see either Inglorious Basterds or District9 on Friday at PalaceNova.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.