[U/C] Westfield Tea Tree Plaza (Extension)

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
gregrogers257
Gold-Member ;)

[U/C] Development confirmed

#31 Post by gregrogers257 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:55 pm

I just read an interesting article in the messenger today.......

The author of the article claims that he/she has received confirmation
from westfield that they are planning to expand marion !!.

Sounds like its not just a small expansion either......the article
claims that the upgrade could cost as much as $300 million... That's a big upgrade...

Apparently when marion was upgraded in the 90's it only cost 200 million.... So this upgrade would be even bigger than the previous expansion !!

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

[U/C]

#32 Post by Howie » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:10 pm

Far out... that's massive ! Thanks for the update greg.

gregrogers257
Gold-Member ;)

[U/C] Only up to 300 million

#33 Post by gregrogers257 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:01 pm

Don't take what I said before as gospel........the messenger is not the most reliable paper and the article said UP to 300 million, it did not say that it would definitely be a 300 million upgrade.......

But its still sounds pretty promising.......imagine how big it would be if they spent 300 million on it !!!!

bva
High Rise Poster!

[U/C]

#34 Post by bva » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:55 pm

if this does go ahead i would want to see a pretty robust RIA, examining any adverse trade diversion from the cbd?

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[U/C]

#35 Post by crawf » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:11 pm

Someone get in contact with the westfield state office and see if its true, hope it is :D

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[U/C]

#36 Post by Ben » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:53 pm

crawf wrote:Someone get in contact with the westfield state office and see if its true, hope it is :D
I've done that already lol and been waiting days for a response.

gregrogers257
Gold-Member ;)

[U/C] Massive upgrade

#37 Post by gregrogers257 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:29 pm

300 million is a massive upgrade. I'd be very surprised if they would spend that much, especially given that other shopping centres not far away from marion have been upgraded recently. e.g. Harbour town and Ikea....

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[U/C]

#38 Post by crawf » Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:39 am

The Elizabeth Shopping Centre redevelopment was around $300m.

and thats turned elizabeth from a dark and dingy hole into one of the most stylish shopping centes in SA.

Mants
Legendary Member!

[U/C]

#39 Post by Mants » Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:48 pm

crawf wrote:The Elizabeth Shopping Centre redevelopment was around $300m.

and thats turned elizabeth from a dark and dingy hole into one of the most stylish shopping centes in SA.
have you even been there crawf?

no offence to anyone from elizabeth, but it is a far cry to call elizabeth shopping centre one of the most stylish shopping centres in SA. sure its a massive improvement of what it was but your claims are a bit...ridiculous

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

[U/C]

#40 Post by AtD » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:02 pm

It'd take far, far more than $300m to make Elizabeth 'stylish.'

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[U/C]

#41 Post by crawf » Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:55 pm

Mants wrote:
crawf wrote:The Elizabeth Shopping Centre redevelopment was around $300m.

have you even been there crawf?

no offence to anyone from elizabeth, but it is a far cry to call elizabeth shopping centre one of the most stylish shopping centres in SA. sure its a massive improvement of what it was but your claims are a bit...ridiculous
Yes i have. and thats MY opinion

Elizabeth is modern, vibrant and unique compard to other shopping centres. While its not as good as Rundle Mall, Marion or Tea Tree Plaza etc... - its diffenitly up there IMO

anyway its quite amazing to think a shopping centre like that is in one of the worst areas of Adelaide.

btw i am talking about Elizabeth Shopping Centre, not the actually area. while it has improved heaps in the last couple of years, it still alot of room for improvement

Mants
Legendary Member!

[U/C]

#42 Post by Mants » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:34 am

apart from burnside village, i dont think you could call one single shopping centre in south australia "stylish"

style also depends on the type/class of people who use the complex. im not trying to discriminate against people who live in the area, but really...

tidus0
Sen-Rookie-Sational

[U/C]

#43 Post by tidus0 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:19 am

Hmm has any of you been to colonades? well before it looked like some warehouse but now i looks better the new section is the best though i work at the donut king but yeah i really like diners life no offence to marion but although it doesn't have as much eateries it is better with al'fresco dining and more better design.

Seaford has improved with having Big W and Woolworths moving in although it is only a 5-10 minute drive to colonades.

I find that colonades and marion would have to be the fashion centres in adelaide as marion is the states largest shopping centre and colonades has improved millions. I not trying to make the south sound better but that is only my opinion and i am sure others would think the same.

.::G!oRgOs::.
Gold-Member ;)

[U/C]

#44 Post by .::G!oRgOs::. » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:32 pm

tidus:

Have you EVER stepped foot in Rundle Mall? If so, I find it hard to comprehend why you would say that Marion is a fashion centre in Adelaide along with Colonades.

Sure, Marion is great when you need to get something from a department store or something cheap from a small store but tell me which stores in Marion currently serve the fashion concious shoppers in Adelaide?

How on earth can you tell me that Marion caters for people who want fashionable clothing and accessories.

In this respect, even the likes of Unley Rd is better. But nothing beats the City in Adelaide.

I'm not hailing Rundle as a flawless mall...It is pretty dodgy actually. But its miles ahead of any other mall/centre in Adelaide. Plus you have Rundle St right there...a far superior 'food court' if you ask me.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[U/C]

#45 Post by crawf » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:58 pm

Mants wrote:apart from burnside village, i dont think you could call one single shopping centre in south australia "stylish"

style also depends on the type/class of people who use the complex. im not trying to discriminate against people who live in the area, but really...
Well Burnside is a complete different ball game to Elizabeth.

Rubbish. What about Adelaide Central Plaza?, The Metro?, Mitcham Square?, Adelaide Arcade?
tidus wrote:find that colonades and marion would have to be the fashion centres in adelaide as marion is the states largest shopping centre and colonades has improved millions.
lol. I dont think so. As giorgos said nothing beats the city area. Anyway about 70% of Adelaides shopping centres are getting massive makeovers (such as Elizabeth, Northpark, West Lakes, Mitcham Square etc...)
In this respect, even the likes of Unley Rd is better. But nothing beats the City in Adelaide.
dont forget King William Road, Norwood Parade, Burnside Village and North Adelaide.