News & Discussion: Metropolitian Councils

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Hooligan
Legendary Member!

Re: Prospect Road Transit Mall

#16 Post by Hooligan » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:46 pm

Norman wrote:There are plans to put a tram along Prospect Road in the future, why bother with this now?
Really?

Do you mean a real plan released by the state government or a I-posted-a-plan-in-the-visions-section type plan?

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#17 Post by Norman » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:09 pm

Hooligan wrote:
Norman wrote:There are plans to put a tram along Prospect Road in the future, why bother with this now?
Really?

Do you mean a real plan released by the state government or a I-posted-a-plan-in-the-visions-section type plan?
It's in the 30-year plan. Well, last time I checked anyway.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#18 Post by Wayno » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:22 pm

do it now. It might be 15years before the tram line is installed...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#19 Post by AtD » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:43 pm

Wayno wrote:do it now. It might be 15years before the tram line is installed...
Agreed. If anything this would compliment a tram line.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#20 Post by rhino » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:43 am

Wayno wrote:do they mean to convert the whole length? or maybe just close to the city end? The King William Rd conversion worked coz it's not too long and terminates in suburbia of reasonably high density.
I seem to recall him taliking about a few blocks - some of it is already narrowed down to one lane in each direction, and I think this is the part he was talking about. How many blocks is that, does anyone know?
cheers,
Rhino

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#21 Post by AG » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:40 am

AtD wrote:
Wayno wrote:Sounds like a good thing to me, although regular commuters using Prospect Rd as a thoroughfare will be annoyed with lower speeds.

Another concern: Prospect Rd is looooong (runs to Grand Junction Rd) - do they mean to convert the whole length? or maybe just close to the city end? The King William Rd conversion worked coz it's not too long and terminates in suburbia of reasonably high density.
I don't think Prospect Road gets that much commuter traffic because it's already quite narrow. I would assume most traffic uses Churchill Rd.

Prospect Counicl's boundary is a few streets north of Regency Rd so I would suspect the works would only go that far.
Prospect Council also released a report several months ago for the upgrade of Churchill Road, proposing the narrowing of the road to allow for dedicated parking spaces, bike lanes and one lane in each direction with right turn lanes. There is some commuter traffic, but Churchill Road (combined with Cavan Road) isn't that much longer than Prospect Road. Most of the traffic uses Main North Road.

Omicron

#22 Post by Omicron » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:01 pm

For a moment there I thought we were all talking about Portrush Road, and as a consequence thought to myself 'PORTRUSH TRAM? LOLOLOLOLOL', and got all excited because I could post things like this:

But then I realised what was going on.
AtD wrote:
Agreed. If anything this would compliment a tram line.
Yes, that. :mrgreen:

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#23 Post by Norman » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:14 pm

Well, if they are going to do it, they should incorporate that plan into their design, unlike what they did in Semaphore.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#24 Post by Hooligan » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:43 pm

Norman wrote:
Well, if they are going to do it, they should incorporate that plan into their design, unlike what they did in Semaphore.
No. If they are planning to put a tram line down in 15 years they can feel free to whatever they like now. Whatever they do now will need to be redone later anyway. In 5 years time semaphore road will need a rehase anyway

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

skyliner

#25 Post by skyliner » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:29 am

Norman wrote:
Your last line Norman - Best and most financially acceptable 'line' of thinking - integration of the two plans seems obvious. Did not know of tramline for Prospect Rd. Used to teach at Blackfriars school there - narrow rd - suited to the plans put forward.

SA - STATE ON THE MOVE
Jack.

rhino

#26 Post by rhino » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:03 pm

Norman wrote:
Hooligan wrote:
Really?

It's in the 30-year plan. Well, last time I checked anyway.
From this thread: http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... 396#p71396

[quote "Messenger News"] ........ The government’s 30-year Plan for Greater Adelaide, released last year, made no mention of taking trams north of the city.

Acting Transport Minister Paul Holloway’s spokesman Sam Ion last week played down the idea, saying Adelaide Oval was already “ideally” located close to the Adelaide Railway Station.

He said a plan to build a $20 million footbridge over the River Torrens, linking the station and the oval, would make the ground even more accessible.

City of Adelaide Minister Jane Lomax-Smith, who as a city councillor lobbied hard for the tram to be extended to Prospect, declined to comment.
cheers,
Rhino

Zills
Gold-Member ;)

#27 Post by Zills » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:33 pm

several references were made in the thirty year plan with regards to 'potential mass transit'. That includes links shown on the parade, prospect road, glen osmond road, and even a link from ttp crossing out to main north road (obanh extenstion?).

furthermore: http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... f=9&t=2362

and..well this is just me being optimistic :D
AtD wrote:I stumbled apon this history lesson from 1990 on YouTube.

the writing's on the wall baby! well, i hope so

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#28 Post by AtD » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:54 pm

My favourite part of that video is "we want to put South Australia on track for the year 2000." Oh dear.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#29 Post by crawf » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:08 pm

King William Street and Moseley Square look terrible in that video

Ha...$3million dollars

contractor
High Rise Poster!

#30 Post by contractor » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:35 am

Looks like Adelaide is ramping up again with it's remove and lay new pavers policy :cheers: Exciting times indeed.