[ONH] News & Developments: Parafield Airport Retail

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[ONH]

#16 Post by crawf » Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:46 pm

I think he's talking about the harbourtown development which will be located at Parafield Airport, which is next to Mawson Lakes (full of uni students and middle-high level income earners).

Most of those brands would last in the northern suburbs, as it will be in a brand direct shopping complex.
Elizabeth area just being essentially a low-income area
Elizabeth is slowly losing its rust-belt image with the completed Elizabeth S/C redevelopment, Munno Para S/C Extension, Edinburgh Industrial Park, $1b Playford North Development, Salisbury North Project and more...

The area might not look crash hot, but it has improved heaps over the last few years and Elizabeth isnt just full of low income people, its got alot of middle income earners.

Elizabeth is also becoming popular for young families..
and the people (there are exceptions) generally do not have the culture to buy such clothing'.
Rubbish. Management of the Elizabeth S/C, have said ever since the redevelopment, people have started to show my pride in what they wear. Plus I find that insulting as i have family who live in the Elizabeth area, and they show allot of pride in what they wear by buying the top names (especially my cousin who is currently doing a degree in acting in the city)

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

[ONH]

#17 Post by Will » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:14 pm

Crawf, I know in your world everything is booming and perfect, but in reality Elizabeth is not a middle income area. The average income statistics and the land values show that you are wrong. And in regard to how people dress, I made it quite clear that there are exceptions, but essentially next time you go down to Elizabeth look at the people walking the streets. Most dress very bogan or gangsta.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[ONH]

#18 Post by crawf » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:44 pm

Will wrote:Crawf, I know in your world everything is booming and perfect, but in reality Elizabeth is not a middle income area.

I find that really insulting and untruthful. Just because I have allot of positivism about things doesn’t mean I live in some little world where everything is booming and perfect. I see allot of faults in Elizabeth and Adelaide. But Elizabeth has dramatically improved over the years, even you cant dispute that.
The average income statistics and the land values show that you are wrong. And in regard to how people dress, I made it quite clear that there are exceptions, but essentially next time you go down to Elizabeth look at the people walking the streets. Most dress very bogan or gangsta.
You were basically saying most of the people who live in Elizabeth dress very boganish. Yes I'll agree there are allot of bogans who live in Elizabeth, but there are allot of normal people aswell. As for statistics, are these from the 2001 City of Playford Community ID website? - if so there out of date. Elizabeth is a low-middle class area.

In my opinion Elizabeth is very much overrated these days for crime, lifestyle and other things. Yes it might not be flashy like the Eastern suburbs, but its not as bad as people claim it to be.

I went out for dinner the other day for my uncle’s birthday in a hotel in Elizabeth Downs, and to be honest I had a really good time. The hotel was very modern and the people in there were nicely dressed normal people (not bogans).

One thing I will say is the appearance of the area is terrible, the playford council should really do something about that.

littledyl16
Gold-Member ;)

[ONH]

#19 Post by littledyl16 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:57 pm

there are plenty of other suburbs in the area which could support the development, like golden grove, greenwith, andrews farm, walkley heights which are all medium income, but this is what we need up in the north, because it is developing rapidly, and if the $1bn evanston project goes ahead, then i am sure that a brand outlet direct shopping centre would do extremely well

Edgar
Legendary Member!

[ONH]

#20 Post by Edgar » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:59 pm

Will wrote:I don't intend to cause offence but stores selling such clothing would not be economically viable up in the Elizabeth area. Elizabeth is essentially a low income area and the people (there are exceptions) generally do not have the culture to buy such clothing.
:lol: I may have regard this as a pure insult to Elizabeth people, but I still have to agree with what Will had said, and of course, he pointed out in the bracket 'there are exceptions', but in general it is still quite true.

crawf wrote:I think he's talking about the harbourtown development which will be located at Parafield Airport, which is next to Mawson Lakes (full of uni students and middle-high level income earners).

Most of those brands would last in the northern suburbs, as it will be in a brand direct shopping complex.
If they want to have their market shares totally relying on this group of consumer will never be enough, unless like had been stressed before, targeting at people from Elizabeth, but going back to Will's point again, it is still not possible, at the moment, to say the least.

I have to agree that Elizabeth has improved dramatically over the past years (although I may not have lived here my entire life, I still know what was going on through my sister as well as watching local news through my satellite tv in my homecountry), but not to the standard of sensibility for adapting the culture like other surburbs, though again, we have to point out that, there are exeptions for the other growing minority group of people who are better off.

Mants
Legendary Member!

[ONH]

#21 Post by Mants » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:18 pm

crawf, perhaps you should read will's post more thoroughly, as he said, there are exceptions, but ultimately Elizabeth is a low-class, "bogan" area, and it will be years before it loses that reputation, if ever.

really cant argue with that.

bdm
High Rise Poster!

[ONH]

#22 Post by bdm » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:39 pm

It's nice to know that everything is happy, shiny and perfect in Crawf-land.

Edgar
Legendary Member!

[ONH]

#23 Post by Edgar » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:47 pm

bdm wrote:It's nice to know that everything is happy, shiny and perfect in Crawf-land.

LOL come on guys, he just want to be positive :D :D :lol: :lol:

I remembered during my last year uni class - Communication and the Media, one of my tutor asked us on how news were intepreted to readers and what we readers would assume some of the missing information.

One such example she gave us was "If there was a robbery case on a local petrol station and that was all the information released, what would you pressume on the criminals involved?"

The answers I heard from the class were "I would pressume they are bogans" , "Driving a V8" , "From Elizabeth" etc. Not that I want to diss Elizabeth people, but 'bogans' 'V8 boys' and 'Elizabeth' are always interconnected.

Mants
Legendary Member!

[ONH]

#24 Post by Mants » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:29 am

bdm wrote:It's nice to know that everything is happy, shiny and perfect in Crawf-land.
now im imagining bogans walking round Elizabeth to the tune of Shining Happy People by R.E.M. :?

:lol: :lol:

.::G!oRgOs::.
Gold-Member ;)

[ONH]

#25 Post by .::G!oRgOs::. » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:55 am

Ah, Cheers howie...didn't see it.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[ONH]

#26 Post by crawf » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:55 am

Another blow for the already dying Glen Osmond Road Precinct, good news for the north though.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[ONH]

#27 Post by rhino » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:07 pm

Well one thing I have learned from this discussion is that Bogans are not normal people. Now I have to ask, are the women who go shopping at Burnside Village in their designer tracksuits normal people? What is the dress code for "Normal people"? If a Bogan is walking through Elizabeth City Centre wearing a suit, is he still a Bogan or is he suddenly a Normal Person? How can you tell? :|
cheers,
Rhino

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

[ONH]

#28 Post by jimmy_2486 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:03 pm

Well once we see the majority of people in Elizabeth wearing suits and not having tattoos and Dada clothes on them, obviously it will loose its name as the bogan city!!

So who ever doesn't like the fact that the majority of Adelaidians call Elizabeth this should try and do something about this by trying to encourage people to dress better, have manners out in public, get a job, and SEE A DENTIST!!

Not all people are like this but a lot are.

However problem is with Elizabeth is that the housing is so cheap that the bogans of Adelaide (or probably Australia) have no where else to go because these are the only places they can afford to live in and not really need a decent job (if one at all).

I mean houses will rise so high that the bogans will have to either get a good job and update their lifestyles, or leave the area and goto the country.
Its happening as we speak in port adelaide which use to be a bogan city but after Newport quays is built it will boost the prices of the place making it very un-affordable for people who do not want to get a job.

So basically what I am saying is.....Money = type of lifestyle......Cost of housing = Amount of income people will have in the neighborhood

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[ONH]

#29 Post by rhino » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:15 pm

The point I was making is that no-one is "normal". Bogans see themselves as normal people. What makes someone "normal"? If Bogans form the majority of the population in the area, then they are normal.

Personally, I think the northern suburbs can sustain a northern "Harbortown" - there are enough people living out there with good incomes to sustain it.
cheers,
Rhino

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

[ONH]

#30 Post by jimmy_2486 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:24 pm

Well what your saying about harbor town is right id say.

Slowly the growth Adelaide is experiencing with all these developments will travel further north and eventually the north will be bogan free as this development will push the house prices up and kick the bogans out (unless they want to get jobs, or higher paying jobs).

Placing it at parafield is not a bad idea as people from inner north can still travel to it and the new future port Adelaide, Mawson lakes, and golden grove area can get to it as well.