[COM] South Road Superway | $842m | 3km

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
camaro68
Sen-Rookie-Sational

[COM] Re: South Road Upgrade

#1066 Post by camaro68 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:37 pm

"I suspect the 'super way' only got Federal money due to it's potential as a freight link through a largely industrial area. Freeways are, in general, a poor investment choice for improving travel times for commuters because they induce more vehicle trips."

Ahh yes induced demand, my old nemeses rises again, at least spending the money on a new elevated freeway, will keep trucks away from suburban streets, and make travelling nth/sth much quicker.

Induced demand won't be an issue as even of the population of SA got to 2 million a 8 lane freeway will more than cope with any increased demand.

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1067 Post by Aidan » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:15 pm

ChrisRT wrote:
raulduke wrote: although they have denied it, i would be surprised if they dont stick with the concept of an elevated road for most of the length of south road
Doubt it. Everywhere south of Regency road is pretty much residential and I doubt people in those areas would appreciate looking out their back windows to see a great, big elevated freeway.
Not everywhere. S of the Glenelg tramway, and also around Mile End, it's mainly commercial and industrial.
I suspect the 'superway' only got Federal money due to it's potential as a freight link through a largely industrial area.
Undoubtedly.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

ChrisRT
Gold-Member ;)

#1068 Post by ChrisRT » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:51 pm

camaro68 wrote:Induced demand won't be an issue as even of the population of SA got to 2 million a 8 lane freeway will more than cope with any increased demand.
Is that so? Then why not build it as 6 lanes? Or 4? Or 2? Building any more than is required is simply wasting money. If you want to reduce congestion on existing roads, the cheapest way is to reduce the number of people driving in the first place, NOT give them more space to drive on. Fact.
Last edited by ChrisRT on Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1069 Post by AtD » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:15 pm

Induced demand occurs without any population growth. That's the whole point.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1070 Post by rhino » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:44 am

"Build it, and they will come."
cheers,
Rhino

camaro68
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1071 Post by camaro68 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:00 am

It amazes me how the two opposed to this freeway don't even live in Adelaide!!!!! :wallbash:

Adelaide's working population is two spread out it's not like other states countries where most people work in this city, the public transport option would not work.

The state is set up for people travelling by car, we also have the issue of trucks driving down too many suburban roads, one being Glen Osmond that has 8 primary schools along it, this is a huge safety issue, the creation of a freeway from the Port Expressway to the southern expressway (needs to be made two ways of course) then out behind McLaren Vale to the South Eastern freeway, is a way to keep traffic out of the CBD.

This state has no vision, no strategy, that is why any proposed improvement will cost billions, why don't we get it build by an OS company, give them a 99 year lease, and whomever want's to use it pay, and the rest can use the existing roads and public transport system. They did it in Greece from Athens to Thessaloniki, it's about a 400 km freeway, this one will only be about 50!!!

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1072 Post by jk1237 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:34 pm

camaro68 wrote: Adelaide's working population is two spread out it's not like other states countries where most people work in this city, the public transport option would not work.
Very wrong :wallbash: . Out of the big 5 capitals in Australia, the Adelaide CBD contains the highest % of economic activity relative to the suburbs, than the other cities. Our CBD is very dominant

ChrisRT
Gold-Member ;)

#1073 Post by ChrisRT » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:57 pm

camaro68 wrote:It amazes me how the two opposed to this freeway don't even live in Adelaide!!!!!
I'm moving back in March. Looking forward to it. I think there's more interesting changes happening in Adelaide at the moment than there are in Vancouver.
camaro68 wrote: This state has no vision, no strategy, that is why any proposed improvement will cost billions
I'm sorry but I'm struggling to understand the logic here. Are you saying that if we did have vision and strategy (which I believe we do; NEXY wasn't chosen for its cool name), then building highways would suddenly be a lot cheaper? The cost of concrete and labor doesn't care about vision and strategy.
camaro68 wrote:why don't we get it build by an OS company, give them a 99 year lease, and whomever want's to use it pay, and the rest can use the existing road
Well first you would have to find a company willing to invest in such a project. Good luck in the current economic environment. Macquarie Bank was going to invest in a similar project here in Vancouver but pulled out following the GFC.

Secondly, the foreign company would probably require a 'demand guarantee'. This means any shortfall in projected revenues would have to be made up by us (ie. the government). This introduces a whole lot of financial risks and other headaches. The net result is, essentially, signing over some of our sovereign interests to foreign interests so that we can have a shiny new freeway. Good luck convincing the people of Adelaide that that is a good idea. People in Adelaide don't look kindly upon privatisation of public infrastructure after the fiasco of ETSA privatisation.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#1074 Post by Hooligan » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:34 pm

Can you please all move your Public transport vs Private transport shit back to this thread?
http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... &start=330

Everytime i see new posts here i think theres news about the south road upgrade, yet i get this crap.

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1075 Post by Will » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:42 am

From the Messenger:
Pleas to finally fix South Rd
newsLocal News17 Mar 10 @ 01:51pm by Michelle Etheridge

TRANSPORT groups are calling for a timeline to be announced on fixing South Rd’s endless bottlenecks through the inner west.

SA Road Transport Association executive director Steve Shearer believes the rest of South Rd has been neglected amid the Superway project and recent announcements that the Southern Expressway would be duplicated under either a Labor or Liberal government.

Mr Shearer said the next State Government should consult road user groups on a detailed plan to turn the entire road into a non-stop, north-south corridor. “It makes it impossible for people who have businesses in the area adjoining South Rd to know what to expect,” he said. “They don’t know whether they’re going to have a tunnel dug out in front of them, an underpass or nothing.”

Mr Shearer said the worst section of South Rd was between Grange Rd and Regency Park: “How can you have a major thoroughfare through a city, with signs ... warning trucks not to stay in the outside lane because they’ll hit the Stobie poles it’s ridiculous. It makes no sense at all to do it bit by bit.”

RAA communications manager Matthew Hanton said the road needed to be widened in some parts and signalling to be removed from intersections.

Last year, the RAA announced its vision for a $2 billion tunnel along South Rd from Anzac Hwy to Croydon. “If you make one intersection free-flowing, all it does is move the congestion to the next intersection,” Mr Hanton said.

SA Freight Council chairman John McArdle said the group had “always pushed for improvements for the north-south corridor”.

``We’re confident that that program will continue into the future,’’ he said.

Candidates’ responses

CALLS for the release of a long-term plan and timeline to fix South Rd have received a mixed response from Croydon candidates.

Sitting member Michael Atkinson said, under the State Government’s plan to roll out a light rail network to Port Adelaide and West Lakes, improvements would be needed near the Outer Harbour line’s intersection with South Rd.

He also said works including a grade separation, tunnel or overpass would be needed between Grange and Port roads.

Liberal candidate Zack McLennan did not respond before the paper’s deadline.

Family First candidate Alex Tennikoff labelled the government’s handling of South Rd as ``a joke’’.

``A north south corridor plan is essential for Adelaide’s future,’’ he said.

Gamers 4 Croydon candidate Kat Nicholson said she would lobby for a timeline for upgrading the length of the road.

Independent candidate Max Galanti said the South Rd Superway, Southern Expressway duplication and Galipoli underpass were not ``the complete answer’’.

``I would support any plan that would reduce the congestion on South Rd,’’ he said.

Greens candidate James Hickey said although he would support widening South Rd between Regency Park and Port Rd, improvements along the length of the road would simply attract more traffic to the thoroughfare.

He said said if elected, he would lobby the State Government to focus on improvements to public transport.

Democrats candidate Shaun Yates said he, too, would lobby for increased bus and tram services.

``If we can get more people out of their cars and onto public transport, South Rd could be freed up so that the freight task could be more efficiently accomplished and thus benefit the economy,’’ he said.

Toolman
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1076 Post by Toolman » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:35 pm

Hooligan wrote:Can you please all move your Public transport vs Private transport shit back to this thread?

Everytime i see new posts here i think theres news about the south road upgrade, yet i get this crap.

I agree with you Hooligan . its crap and I cant find anything on the web that even refers to the original " Port rd / South rd " underpass
they all promised then dropped like a hot potato . It seems they buried it good and since then announced the stupid Superway at Regency park .
I have never seen a traffic jam at Grand Junction and South rd at Regency park but I see one every morning between Torrens rd and Port rd on SOUTH rd .

:wallbash:

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1077 Post by Norman » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:59 am

Toolman wrote:
Hooligan wrote:Can you please all move your Public transport vs Private transport shit back to this thread?

I agree with you Hooligan . its crap and I cant find anything on the web that even refers to the original " Port rd / South rd " underpass
they all promised then dropped like a hot potato . It seems they buried it good and since then announced the stupid Superway at Regency park .
I have never seen a traffic jam at Grand Junction and South rd at Regency park but I see one every morning between Torrens rd and Port rd on SOUTH rd .

:wallbash:
It was cancelled a while back, the mid-year budget review for the 2008/09 financial year I think (might have been before that, not too sure on that). There were also some issues surrounding the acceptance of part of South Road under the AusLink network.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1078 Post by AtD » Tue May 11, 2010 8:31 pm

http://www.budget.gov.au/2010-11/conten ... nse-16.htm
Nation Building Program — road infrastructure — Superway and Northern Expressway

The Government will bring forward $50.0 million from 2010?11 to 2009?10 for the South Road Superway, to facilitate the early commencement of construction as part of the South Road package of works. In addition, the Government will bring forward $6.0 million from 2010?11 to 2009?10 for the Northern Expressway projects, in recognition of the imminent completion of the project. These payments will be made under the Nation Building Program Memorandum of Understanding with the South Australian Government.

See also the related expense measures titled road infrastructure in the Nation Building Program package of measures.
The budget website is struggling under the traffic right now.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

[COM] Re: South Road Upgrades | PRO: South Road Superway

#1079 Post by rev » Sun May 23, 2010 9:29 pm

Not sure if this has anything to do with the superway, but there's an excavator and some sort of machine parked at the South/Days road intersection..
Didn't see any construction going on...so since the signs advertising the superway are up, I guess this is somehow related? :?:

raulduke
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: South Road Upgrades | PRO: South Road Superway

#1080 Post by raulduke » Mon May 24, 2010 7:06 am

It would be part of the "early works" package