U/C: [Adelaide Entertainment Centre] Carpark | $11m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
The Scooter Guy
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: #U/C : Ent. Centre Upgrade | $50m | (2,500) | Hindmarsh

#286 Post by The Scooter Guy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:34 pm

Any vids of the canopy lately?
And BTW, I've been to Womadelaide 2010 on the AEC's Open Day!
Anyone been to Womadelaide this year?
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Vee
Legendary Member!

#287 Post by Vee » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:02 pm

BillD wrote:Here are three shots from Saturday night, the 6th of March 2010. The canopy was continuously cycling through different colours and patterns.
The LED signs in the background were dazzling when displaying a lot of white.
Thanks Bill. These photos are dazzling!
This venue will add a lot of interest and excitement to Adelaide events.

Can we now upgrade the old, tired Festival Centre to give it the same buzz?

russo92
Gold-Member ;)

#288 Post by russo92 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:17 pm

veemur wrote:
BillD wrote:
Yes that should be next. A complete inside and outside revamp of the festival centre is desperately needed, revive it as an Adelaide Landmark, and hopefully they can bring more shows there which only play in Sydney and Melbourne

AEC looks amazing, can't be said enough.

Nort

#289 Post by Nort » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:18 am

veemur wrote:
BillD wrote:Here are three shots from Saturday night, the 6th of March 2010. The canopy was continuously cycling through different colours and patterns.
The LED signs in the background were dazzling when displaying a lot of white.
Thanks Bill. These photos are dazzling!
This venue will add a lot of interest and excitement to Adelaide events.

Don't tease me, can you imagine how good the Festival Theatre would look with an upgrade like this, especially if the rumoured riverside cafe precinct eventuates?

yousername
High Rise Poster!

#290 Post by yousername » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:09 am

:applause: :applause: :applause:
Lets keep it up Adelaide. we know you got potential.
Will wrote:Victorians can get f#$%^&*!

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#291 Post by crawf » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:43 pm

The Entertainment Centre from Port Road looks fantastic. Love the dome

skyliner

#292 Post by skyliner » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:45 pm

Thanks Bill for the photos - excellent again - been waiting a long time to see that. Far better than expected. Has a lot of 'life' in the lighting - will attract attention as something rather unique in Adelaide ATM. :applause:

SA - STATE IN THE MOVE
Jack.

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#293 Post by Maximus » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:42 pm

Saw Massive Attack at the Ent Cent on Sunday night. I concur that the new entrance is excellent. They've done a fantastic job. It's turned a previously boring building and run-of-the-mill entrance into a real feature. Under the dome, it feels kind of like a psychedelic European train station!

Also, the concert was in the new 'theatre'. No doubt the venue lacks a little character, but it's a clean, modern, functional space and the acoustics seemed good. Incidentally, the crowd was very enthusiastic and the band appeared to genuinely enjoy themselves.

So, good news all round. :D
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#294 Post by rogue » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:15 pm

I was there on Sunday too and largely agree with Maximus. But its a pity venues like this still struggle to serve food and drinks efficiently. 3 bars open with insane line ups...

Nort

#295 Post by Nort » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:13 pm

Maximus wrote: Under the dome, it feels kind of like a psychedelic European train station!
Funny you should say that, every time I see the dome I can't help thinking how good a variation on it would look at the North end of Victoria Square as the entrance to an underground rail station. :D

rubegoldbergdevice
Gold-Member ;)

#296 Post by rubegoldbergdevice » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:21 am

Good stuff Adelaide! This type of joint needs a good facade and this is awesome. No one need know about the aircraft hangar now. I dunno what's happened inside (it needs an upgrade), but as an invitational thing this is what you want.

As far as the posts so far who have been questioning the new venue and its relevance, don't you worry it IS relevant (I'm coming from an arts background in Adelaide here). It complements the Gov across the road and creates some competition for the Thebby. Adelaide sorely needs this. Competition does actually exist in the arts y'know. And don't anyone tell me Adelaide doesn't have the population for this... the population argument is lazy and one I don't accept in the Adelaide context ever. How many f*cking people do you need? If you differ, I'm happy to step outside....

And as I've said earlier in this thread, this area has the possibility of being something awesome. Screens on the fish factory! It doesn't all have to happen in the CBD.

All that things need now is a proper spruce up and paint job on the Festival Centre and the construction of a dedicated concert hall. Yes that's right a concert hall. AFC is not that and neither is the Town Hall. And the recent, commendable but disappointing Mahler performance at the AEC proves this. The ASO have nowhere else to go and they are one of the three best symphony orchestras in the country. Once again, use the population argument and we step outside. Adelaide deserves a concert hall as the only other culturally focussed city in Australia next to Melbourne.

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

#297 Post by dsriggs » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:42 pm

rubegoldbergdevice wrote:I dunno what's happened inside (it needs an upgrade), but as an invitational thing this is what you want.
On the inside they've installed new seating, rebuilt the consession stands and bars & installed LOTS of LCD signs all around the concourse. Looks very modern.

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

#298 Post by peas_and_corn » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:26 pm

rubegoldbergdevice wrote:Good stuff Adelaide! This type of joint needs a good facade and this is awesome. No one need know about the aircraft hangar now. I dunno what's happened inside (it needs an upgrade), but as an invitational thing this is what you want.

As far as the posts so far who have been questioning the new venue and its relevance, don't you worry it IS relevant (I'm coming from an arts background in Adelaide here). It complements the Gov across the road and creates some competition for the Thebby. Adelaide sorely needs this. Competition does actually exist in the arts y'know. And don't anyone tell me Adelaide doesn't have the population for this... the population argument is lazy and one I don't accept in the Adelaide context ever. How many f*cking people do you need? If you differ, I'm happy to step outside....

And as I've said earlier in this thread, this area has the possibility of being something awesome. Screens on the fish factory! It doesn't all have to happen in the CBD.

All that things need now is a proper spruce up and paint job on the Festival Centre and the construction of a dedicated concert hall. Yes that's right a concert hall. AFC is not that and neither is the Town Hall. And the recent, commendable but disappointing Mahler performance at the AEC proves this. The ASO have nowhere else to go and they are one of the three best symphony orchestras in the country. Once again, use the population argument and we step outside. Adelaide deserves a concert hall as the only other culturally focussed city in Australia next to Melbourne.
What's wrong with them playing at the Festival Centre? It's a good venue.

adelaideviewer
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: #COM : Ent. Centre Upgrade | $50m | (2,500) | Hindmarsh

#299 Post by adelaideviewer » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:49 pm

As far as I know, the Festival Centre has to rely on it's LARES electronic/computerised acoustic system to give a proper representation of a 'concert hall' acoustic.
I don't know that the orchestra players themselves get such a good sound impression from their perspective either.

The Festival Theatre capacity is also about 1970 seats - so as the previous poster says, if you do have a classical acoustic type concert with potentially a bigger audience, where do you go?

skyliner

Re: #COM : Ent. Centre Upgrade | $50m | (2,500) | Hindmarsh

#300 Post by skyliner » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:24 pm

adelaideviewer wrote:As far as I know, the Festival Centre has to rely on it's LARES electronic/computerised acoustic system to give a proper representation of a 'concert hall' acoustic.
I don't know that the orchestra players themselves get such a good sound impression from their perspective either.

The Festival Theatre capacity is also about 1970 seats - so as the previous poster says, if you do have a classical acoustic type concert with potentially a bigger audience, where do you go?
In answer to the bold - very often the case for musicians - they get a completely different perspective on the sound - even foldback speakers don't alter that.

SA - STATE ON THE MOVE
Jack.