News & Discussion: Adelaide Development Plan Amendment 2012

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

Council Approves Major Changes to Development Plan

#1 Post by Howie » Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:11 pm

Adelaide City Council

[quote]
Media Releases
19 July 2005

Council Approves First Major Changes to Development Plan in Nearly 30 Years

The first major review of the Adelaide City Development Plan in nearly 30 years has been approved by the Adelaide City Council.

Lord Mayor, Mr Michael Harbison said the General and park Lands Plan Amendment Report (PAR) was the most significant change to planning controls in the City since the 1980s.

“The major changes in the PAR will achieve better design outcomes, more sustainable development and more capacity for residential housing to meet Council’s population targets,â€

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2 Post by Pikey » Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:47 pm

You're not wrong it looks good! Maybe the rumoured "significantly larger" building for City Central could be true? Did anyone say 45 level resi??!!!?! :lol:
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3 Post by Howie » Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:49 pm

As far as i can tell they've only approved up to 60 meters for the west side, but i'm not sure if the PAR covers other buildings looking to exceed this.

They may be covered under the SA government major works program.. in which case, hopefully the sky's the limit!

petermaloney
High Rise Poster!

#4 Post by petermaloney » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:04 pm

how about a 45 story office tower

Algernon
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#5 Post by Algernon » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:27 pm

I wouldn't get too excited guys. Michael Harbison has been trying to get through a blanket height limit increase of a few levels... so no, we won't be seeing 45 storey resi's ;)

Seriously, we're talking one or two storeys.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by Howie » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:13 am

that's a crying shame that :(

petermaloney
High Rise Poster!

#7 Post by petermaloney » Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:32 pm

Two Stories is horrible news

Algernon

#8 Post by Algernon » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:40 pm

I saw a presentation at the ACC on the 3 PARS the council has undertaken (general PAR, Balfours site PAR, le Cornu PAR) on Thursday.

Balfours PAR isn't quite finalised. There's 2 small hitches, then it will have to be approved by the minister. Hitch 1) height of the midrise apartments on one side (no biggy). Hitch 2 - AAL is spewing, but the council is fairly confident with that as well.

I'll have a map of the new city height limits uploaded here by about Monday.

From memory, height limits in the north western and north eastern corners (around heaven) are upped to around 27m (so about 10 levels for residential buildings). All areas around King William St down to South Terrace have been upped to about 40-50m. I think the overall limit could be 107m, but the image on the slide was really blurry. The presenter commented that in the north western corner, they're keen to promote some midrise residential developments. They've also set minimum height limits to prevent under development, so you won't see things like caryards approved there anymore.

Also, the NC (non complying) developments system has been overhauled. In the NC system, if a beuilding exceeded height limit, it went to the DAP. The new system is the Merit system, so buildings can exceed prescribed height limits if they're "high performance" buildings, in accordance with a bunch of criteria like aesthetics, environmental features, etc etc.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#9 Post by Howie » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:53 pm

Brilliant summary chris which cleared up a few misconceptions we've been having here.... namely height restrictions of only about 3 levels. Things are looking brighter i must say for city west. Look forward to your post on monday with the new limits!

Algernon

#10 Post by Algernon » Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:29 pm

Howie wrote:Brilliant summary chris which cleared up a few misconceptions we've been having here.... namely height restrictions of only about 3 levels. Things are looking brighter i must say for city west. Look forward to your post on monday with the new limits!
I wasn't suggesting there's 3 level height limits (except in some areas of North Adelaide), rather that overall height limits would raise by up to around 3 levels.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#11 Post by Howie » Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:33 pm

That's what i mean, i was told that the much of the development will be restricted to about 3 levels... what you wrote above clarified that a little more for me.

Algernon

#12 Post by Algernon » Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:44 pm

Okey dokey.

Just one more thing i'll add. The general PAR that was finalised (in the article at the start of the thread) was the one that increased all the height limits. The new height limit for the balfours site, under the revised development plan, is around 40m. The separate Balfours PAR further increases the height limit to around 50m or so to allow the big resi towers. So, should the council fail in getting the Balfours PAR through (which I don't think will happen, it looks home), the height limit would stay at around 40m. The public response to the Balfours PAR was actually pretty good, with the main concerns being with the setback of the 5 level midrises along the street, not the big apartment towers. It now depends on what happens with AAL. The council thinks this won't be a problem because, as has been stated on this site before, the Santos tower provides "protection" for the site. ie if a plane hits something it'll hit Santos first :shock: :lol:

Al
VIP Member
VIP Member

#13 Post by Al » Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:01 pm

Excellent stuff Chris! I'm looking forward to seeing the height limit diagram you've got. I guess the good news is that the limit seems to be on the rise and it seems to fit in with what the council wants to do and that's to promote a higher density population in the city. I thought the Balfours towers were meant to be 60m?

Thunderstruck
High Rise Poster!

#14 Post by Thunderstruck » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:21 pm

Read something in paper today I think or yesterday about this being approved and caught tail end of a story about it on ch 10 news tonight regardign height limit increases etc and also some controversy about a proposed development over the Central Market.

Anyone with more info?
"He was the sort of person who stood on mountaintops during thunderstorms in wet copper armour shouting "All the Gods are bastards" - Pratchett

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#15 Post by Pikey » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:23 pm

Yeah I heard that story too, well part of the summary of it at 5:30, something about changing Adelaide's skyline and a controversial hi rise proposal for the markets. Did anyone see the full story?
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |