News & Discussion: Metropolitian Adelaide Road Upgrades

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Elder Smith Drive

#1 Post by rhino » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:55 am

I heard on the news that the Elder Smith Drive / Maxwell Rd intersection was opened yesterday. Is this an interchange or just a set of traffic lights? Does Elder Smith Drive go right through to Port Wakefield Road yet? How is / will that junction be managed, considering that Port Wakefield Road will be part of the Northern Expressway / Port River Expressway road complex?

I expect that the opening of the Maxwell Road Junction would already see a huge ammount of Para Hills area traffic heading to the Mawson Lakes public transport interchange?
cheers,
Rhino

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Elder Smith Drive

#2 Post by bm7500 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:12 am

This is the atricle about the opening of the road as it appeared in Adelaide Now
THE final link between Main North Rd and Salisbury Hwy will open to traffic on Monday.

The $11.3 million Elder Smith Rd, linking Main St at Mawson Lakes with Main North Rd, Parafield, will have a single lane in each direction, a four-way intersection with signals, two right-turn lanes, bicycle lanes and pedestrian facilities.

The road improves access to the Mawson Lakes area, including the University of South Australia.

And this is a copy of my comments in response to the article as published on the Adelaide Now site 31st August 07
Even as a resident of Mawson Lakes, I believe that this new link is only going to cause more traffic congestion and accidents along Main North Road. All this extra motorist frustration will be for what, an additional single lane in each direction into Mawson Lakes. Instead of doing things by halves, the government should have provided funding for at least a dual lane corridor with underpass access to / from Main North Road instead of adding yet another traffic light controlled intersection to one of Adelaide's busiest arterial roads. SA, The Traffic Light State!
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

rhino

#3 Post by rhino » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:22 am

Thanks for that bm, and I must say I agree with your response.
cheers,
Rhino

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#4 Post by Cruise » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:13 pm

ive seen this road during construction and really does appear to be a cheap and nasty solution

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#5 Post by AtD » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:38 pm

Good thing Mawson Lakes is one of the best serviced stations in the network.

This also explains why I had such a hard time getting home tonight, turning right onto Salisbury Highway from Mawson Lakes. Ended up going across, doing a U-turn and turning left.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

King Street Bridge

#6 Post by Norman » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:28 pm

Bay Council has designs on new King St bridge
DESIGNS for a new King St bridge may be drawn up next year after Holdfast Bay councillors gave the first real indication a fortnight ago that they want a replacement for the existing weakened crossing.

At meeting on Tuesday (July 22), members voted to consider spending $350,000 designing a new bridge a decision immediately praised by the State and Federal governments although funding help from those directions is uncertain.

The current bridge across the Patawalonga at Glenelg North is corroding and an engineering report has warned the middle section could collapse under a once off heavy weight.

The council will spend $250,000 this year to ensure the bridge lasts at least five more years.

Meantime, Crs Philip Crutchett and Bob Fisk successfully moved that the council consider planning a new bridge next financial year.

Last year, Cr Crutchett moved that the council spend no more than $1.5 million building a replacement bridge.

Costings from the council’s administration, shown to councillors last month, suggest the bridge would cost $7 million to replace, leaving a funding gap of $5.5 million.

Hindmarsh MHR Steve Georganas (Labor) said he was pleased the council was planning for a new bridge but he would not speculate on its chances of receiving federal funding.

A current application for $3 million in federal help through the Special Local Roads program is being assessed.

``It’s positive because it means they’re seriously coming up with a decision to do something,’’ Mr Georganas said.

``One of the biggest hurdles has been the indecisiveness of councillors ... it’s hard to jump in and help when they’re all over the place.’’

Mr Georganas said he wrote a letter supporting the council’s application to the Special Local Roads program in March but no decision had been made.

State Transport Minister Pat Conlon’s spokesman Matt Clemow referred question to Transport SA spokesman Ross Stargatt last month.

``DTEI welcomes the council’s move to begin this process,’’ Mr Stargatt wrote in an emailed statement.

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

What's going on at Smart road?

#7 Post by peas_and_corn » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:07 pm

Tonight I was going to the cinema to watch T3 (it's good, BTW) and I was diverted because there's a heap of night works on the Smart road intersection. What's going on there? There was a bunch of vehicles, and while I wanted to get a closer look, my other half was cold and wanted to go home.

ghs

Re: What's going on at Smart road?

#8 Post by ghs » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:20 pm

Mate, all there doing is putting some more bitumen on the road..... what do you think they are
doing building a massive skyscraper in Modbury ?

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

#9 Post by peas_and_corn » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:35 pm

I thought they were messing around with the roundabout *again*

ghs

#10 Post by ghs » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:02 pm

Mate, even if they are upgrading the roundabout who gives a fuck ?

It's just a roundabout for christ sake..

sam
Donating Member
Donating Member

#11 Post by sam » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:02 pm

I saw one of the Variable Message Signgs for this, something along the lines of "Road work between Reservoir Road and OBARN" at one point, ROFL!

ac83
Gold-Member ;)

COM: Main South Rd / Victor Harbor Rd Intersection Upgrade

#12 Post by ac83 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:31 pm

Hi all,

During my weekly drives down to Victor Harbor I've noticed the large amount of roadworks appearing on the intersection of Victor Harbor Rd and Main South Rd. It looks an extra lane is being added by can't quite make sense of it. I've been searching around this forum and online to see what they are doing but can't seem to find anything. Hope to god it's not just another bandaid fix by placing traffic lights as the current stop sign already creates problems.

Maybe a simple fly over from VH rd turning right onto MS rd? Wishful thinking I believe. If Perth can have a flyover going into the Carousel Shopping Centre then how hard and how much is it to do this at that intersection?

If this has been discussed in this forum before paste the link and lock this topic!

Cheers,

Azz

Briggzy_03
High Rise Poster!

Re: #U/C: Main South Rd / Victor Harbor Rd Intersection Upgrade

#13 Post by Briggzy_03 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:00 pm

ac83 wrote:Hope to god it's not just another bandaid fix by placing traffic lights as the current stop sign already creates problems.
Unfortunately it is exactly that, an extra set of traffic lights. I'll try and find the article that details it.

Welcome to the forum azz :D

EDIT: http://www.nationbuildingprogram.gov.au ... 57-08SA-SR <------ Found it.

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#14 Post by fabricator » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:26 pm

Its only been killing for the past 20 years at least, its not as if there was any real rush to fix this.
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#15 Post by mattblack » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:53 pm

fabricator wrote:Its only been killing for the past 20 years at least, its not as if there was any real rush to fix this.
I think thats the Mclaren Vale turn off your thinking about, which will, now that labor looks like getting in will also be fixed with an overpass.