News & Discussion: O-Bahn

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
ChrisRT
Gold-Member ;)

Re: #PRO: City Busway - O-Bahn to West Tce

#226 Post by ChrisRT » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:18 pm

warpspeed wrote:Great, now lets see just how much they screw up Grenfell/Currie street in the process.

The traffic light sequencing is pooched enough as it is, add to that the silly lane realignment they did near Pulteney street last year which now means cars can't get past busses stopped at the bus stop. It's just going to be another bunch of epic fail if you ask me. Every time streets in the CBD get messed around with, it always seems to end up being worse, not better.
Indeed. Hopefully they 'screw it up' so much that buses can go past cars without getting stuck in traffic and passengers get to their destinations faster.

frank1
Donating Member
Donating Member

#227 Post by frank1 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:51 pm

According to some of the Paynem, Norwood and St Peters ppl in that article, putting 2 bus lanes down the middle of Hackney road will 'clog it up' .... ah yeah that makes sense :roll:
Last edited by frank1 on Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

warpspeed
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#228 Post by warpspeed » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:52 pm

ChrisRT wrote:Indeed. Hopefully they 'screw it up' so much that buses can go past cars without getting stuck in traffic and passengers get to their destinations faster.
Until such time that busses actually drive at a reasonable speed and not at 30 in a 60 zone, or sit at a stop for 10 minutes so they can keep to their 'schedule', I don't find that to be a problem.

If the traffic lights were sequenced well enough, there wouldn't be that much traffic to get stuck in.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#229 Post by monotonehell » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:23 pm

warpspeed wrote:Until such time that busses actually drive at a reasonable speed and not at 30 in a 60 zone, or sit at a stop for 10 minutes so they can keep to their 'schedule', I don't find that to be a problem.

If the traffic lights were sequenced well enough, there wouldn't be that much traffic to get stuck in.
Get out of your car and look at the big picture, not just what you think you perceive from your driver's seat. Imagine if that bus that's in "your way" was replaced with cars. There'd be between 20 and 60 more cars in "your way".

Hrm?
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

warpspeed
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#230 Post by warpspeed » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:17 pm

monotonehell wrote: Get out of your car and look at the big picture, not just what you think you perceive from your driver's seat. Imagine if that bus that's in "your way" was replaced with cars. There'd be between 20 and 60 more cars in "your way".

Hrm?
I never said the busses shouldn't be on the road. They absolutely have their place. But the reality is, so do cars. There will always be busses and there will always be cars.

The only time when the busses REALLY matter, is for several hours of peak hour each day. Outside that time, it's mostly cars. I've had to drive many times across the city via Wakefield and Grenfell/Currie streets late at night, i.e. midnight, and even then, the sequencing of the traffic lights is stupid. I don't actually see what the problem is with the traffic flow so much in Grenfell/Currie streets in Peak hour. Cars seem to do their thing, busses seem to do their thing. Why mess with that? Just wait and see, I'll bet they end up making an absolute mess of it. If they could create 2 extra lanes in Grenfell/Currie street, and keep the existing lanes, that might work, but there's no way that'll happen. They're going to have to remove lanes for cars. And depending on how they do that, outside peak hour, that's going to be two lanes that will be next to useless.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#PRO: City Busway - O-Bahn to West Tce

#231 Post by AtD » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:45 pm

They'd fix the sequence on Grenfell/Currie but then you'll come here and bitch about the sequences on King William and Pulteney. The obvious solution is to take the bus, read a book and stress less.

warpspeed
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#232 Post by warpspeed » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:14 pm

AtD wrote:They'd fix the sequence on Grenfell/Currie but then you'll come here and bitch about the sequences on King William and Pulteney. The obvious solution is to take the bus, read a book and stress less.
I don't stress that much actually. I just hate seeing stupid things happen for unnecessary reasons.

If larger cities can sequence their lights reasonably well, then I'm sure Adelaide could too, if they bothered to try. The lights change far too quickly here. 2 maybe 3 minutes of green each way and people would get clean across the city in one go, instead of it taking at least 10 minutes and wasting a bunch of fuel. I wouldn't mind waiting 3 minutes at West Terrace if it meant I could go all the way across to East Terrace in one go.

I see such bone dead stupidity as the lights going green on West Terrace, only to get stopped at the intersection of Gray Street 100m away.

They've turned North Terrace into a mess already, with a dozen sets of traffic lights and lanes going all over the place. Why not just send all the busses down bus lanes there and screw up more of what is already pretty messed up. Leave the nice and reasonably straight and wide Grenfell/Currie street alone.

p.s. Whilst it may look like it, I don't actually have an objection to Busses or Trams, I think they're great.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#233 Post by Nathan » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:56 pm

warpspeed wrote:
AtD wrote:They'd fix the sequence on Grenfell/Currie but then you'll come here and bitch about the sequences on King William and Pulteney. The obvious solution is to take the bus, read a book and stress less.
I don't stress that much actually. I just hate seeing stupid things happen for unnecessary reasons.

If larger cities can sequence their lights reasonably well, then I'm sure Adelaide could too, if they bothered to try. The lights change far too quickly here. 2 maybe 3 minutes of green each way and people would get clean across the city in one go, instead of it taking at least 10 minutes and wasting a bunch of fuel. I wouldn't mind waiting 3 minutes at West Terrace if it meant I could go all the way across to East Terrace in one go.

I see such bone dead stupidity as the lights going green on West Terrace, only to get stopped at the intersection of Gray Street 100m away.

They've turned North Terrace into a mess already, with a dozen sets of traffic lights and lanes going all over the place. Why not just send all the busses down bus lanes there and screw up more of what is already pretty messed up. Leave the nice and reasonably straight and wide Grenfell/Currie street alone.

p.s. Whilst it may look like it, I don't actually have an objection to Busses or Trams, I think they're great.
Well there's your problem - don't drive across the length of the entire city - that's what the city ring route is for. (Admittedly Greenhill Rd is pretty badly sequenced - but it's still quicker).
Is there anywhere else that people really expect the fastest way to get from one side of the central business district to the other is straight through the middle on it's busiest streets?

If you absolutely have to go through the city, use Wakefield/Grote St.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#234 Post by SRW » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:33 am

warpspeed wrote: I wouldn't mind waiting 3 minutes at West Terrace if it meant I could go all the way across to East Terrace in one go.
Are you actually driving to a destination in the city? Or simply traversing through it? If the latter, you get no sympathy. Use the ring route and quit your complaining about the traffic of people who are actually in town to be in town.
Keep Adelaide Weird

bulldog13
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#235 Post by bulldog13 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:07 pm

warpspeed wrote:
The only time when the busses REALLY matter, is for several hours of peak hour each day. Outside that time, it's mostly cars. I've had to drive many times across the city via Wakefield and Grenfell/Currie streets late at night, i.e. midnight, and even then, the sequencing of the traffic lights is stupid. I don't actually see what the problem is with the traffic flow so much in Grenfell/Currie streets in Peak hour. Cars seem to do their thing, busses seem to do their thing. Why mess with that? Just wait and see, I'll bet they end up making an absolute mess of it. If they could create 2 extra lanes in Grenfell/Currie street, and keep the existing lanes, that might work, but there's no way that'll happen. They're going to have to remove lanes for cars. And depending on how they do that, outside peak hour, that's going to be two lanes that will be next to useless.
So what about those people who don't drive or have a car, they REALLY DO NOT matter then!!!. But agree with the comment about dedicated bus lanes when there are no buses ie late at night

drwaddles
High Rise Poster!

#236 Post by drwaddles » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:11 am

bulldog13 wrote:agree with the comment about dedicated bus lanes when there are no buses ie late at night
There's no need for the extra capacity for cars late at night :roll:

Basically, if a bus lane goes in during peak periods it should probably apply for 24hrs seeing as the extra capacity is not required outside of peak. 24hr bus lanes better condition people to always keep out of the lane too.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#237 Post by SRW » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:39 am

From Clr Plumridge's latest newsletter:
(Item 1.1) A Workshop was conducted to brief members on the O’Bahn Upgrade Project which features:-
  • • $61 million Federal Government project being coordinated by DTEI to improve O’Bahn bus access from the dedicated corridor to the City via Hackney Road.
    • Provides dedicated bus corridors (i.e. bus only lanes) to improve bus access into and out of the City (excluding Hackney Road, outbound).
    • Considers improving the streetscape of Grenfell Street and Currie Street by designing the street as a ‘place’ and not just a transport corridor with improvements to amenity.
    • Requires some small Park Lands land take and removal of a small number of significant trees to accommodate road widening associated with dedicated bus lanes along Hackney Road, Botanic Road, Dequetteville Terrace.
    • The impact of reducing general traffic to one lane in each direction on Grenfell and Currie Streets roads to accommodate bus lanes which is likely to be significant. DTEI are to go to public consultation on the design in late 2010 after Cabinet and PWC consideration.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#238 Post by Kasey771 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:46 am

• Requires some small Park Lands land take and removal of a small number of significant trees to accommodate road widening associated with dedicated bus lanes along Hackney Road, Botanic Road, Dequetteville Terrace.
Oh dear, there goes any hope of tis actually occurring:(
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#239 Post by crawf » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:22 pm

SRW wrote:From Clr Plumridge's latest newsletter:
  • • Considers improving the streetscape of Grenfell Street and Currie Street by designing the street as a ‘place’ and not just a transport corridor with improvements to amenity.

• The impact of reducing general traffic to one lane in each direction on Grenfell and Currie Streets roads to accommodate bus lanes which is likely to be significant. DTEI are to go to public consultation on the design in late 2010 after Cabinet and PWC consideration.
Yes!!!

The last bit wont go down well with motorists lol

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#240 Post by Norman » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:41 pm

Kasey771 wrote:
Oh dear, there goes any hope of tis actually occurring:(
Relax, they did the same thing on Port Road, Thebarton without too much of a hassle.