PRO: Tonsley Rail Extension

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
metro
Legendary Member!

PRO: Tonsley Rail Extension

#1 Post by metro » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:21 pm

saw this article on Adelaide now:
Transport plan for Adelaide's south

Daniel Wills, Political Reporter:

RAIL services would extend to Flinders University and a major new underpass would be constructed between Sturt and Main South roads as part of a State Government transport vision.

Transport Minister Pat Conlon today unveiled the Government's draft Darlington Transport Study, which has been two years in the making and will be released for public consultation on Monday.

The vision includes proposals for a weekday tram-train service along a duplicated Tonsley rail line requiring construction of new stations at Sturt and the Flinders Medical Centre.

Mr Conlon conceded the final bill was likely to include "big numbers" but said he was confident of securing Federal Government support to deliver the plan.

"At the end of the day, it's not a funded project. I have no doubt that people will criticise it for that," he said.

"We will also be going out to consultation and what you're seeing here is a simulation, not a final design.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

"I don't think we will be putting numbers on it now.

"Any numbers that were put on it now may be misleading.

"We're not frightened of the numbers. They're going to be big."

Mr Conlon said other major infrastructure and road projects underway in SA proved the state's capacity to leverage money from Canberra.

The Government hopes to begin construction of elements of the plan in 2015-16.

"I'm confident that if this isn't all funded at once, it will all be funded over time," he said.

"What we have sought to do is create projects that have a very good benefit-cost analysis and that's the way Commonwealth funding has been allocated.

"I'm confident that you'll see them all rolled out.

"It'll happen. Adelaide is never going to go back to being the sleepy little country town people thought it was."

Mr Conlon said the state would also be forced to "make a contribution".

Federal Infrastructure Minister Anthony Albanese said the projects were intended to ensure Adelaide remained "a great place to live, work and raise a family".

"It is essential that planning for projects of this magnitude is done properly so that we can avoid leaving a laughable legacy like the previous Liberal government's absurd one-way expressway," he said.

Voters will be able to access the plan online from Monday.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 5944727310

sounds like a good idea to me, Flinders Uni could do with station like Macquarie Uni has in Sydney. As they said, it wont be cheap.

Isiskii
High Rise Poster!

Re: Rail Line to Flinders Uni

#2 Post by Isiskii » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:38 pm

Interesting points to note;

- Duplication of the Tonsley Line
- Tram-trains to be used.
- Underpass at Main South and Sturt roads.
- Stations at Sturt & Flinders University.

Obviously, I read a little too much into things, but if the rail corridor is going to be built in an underpass to Flinders University (not Flinders Medical Centre!)- which sits atop a hill, obviously that means that the stations will be underground. Hence the "big dollars" Conlon mentions of.

Also there's going to have to be some property acquisition involved as part of the project through the area between Sturt and Main South Roads. Conveniently unmentioned.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3 Post by Norman » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:53 pm

Strange, at the start it says Flinders Uni, but then later on it mentions stops at Sturt and Flinders Medical Centre... so which one will it be?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4 Post by Norman » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:55 pm

Shaping the vision for transport in the south
Commuter rail services to Flinders University and an underpass at the intersection between Main South and Sturt roads are among a series of possible improvements outlined in the draft Darlington Transport Study being released for public feedback on Monday.

Federal Infrastructure and Transport Minister Anthony Albanese said the draft Study is the product of almost two years of planning and an assessment of the City's South Road corridor.

"Driving this process has been a vision of a sustainable and vibrant community underpinned by modern, well planned transport infrastructure – an Adelaide which continues to be a great place to live, work and raise a family," Minister Albanese said.

"It's a plan not just for the next three years but for the next three decades.

"But just as the development of the Study required the involvement of all levels of government, making its multi-million dollar vision a reality will likewise require a high degree of cooperation and a shared financial commitment."

The Study's key proposals include a 15-minute frequency weekday tram-train service along a duplicated Tonsley rail line which would also be extended to Flinders University and include two new stations (Sturt Triangle and Flinders Medical Centre) as well as a public transport interchange, and a park and ride facility.

South Australian Transport Minister Patrick Conlon said the Study is example of what can be achieved when the Federal and State governments work together.

"This really is an exciting vision for what has been one of Adelaide’s most frustrating spots for motorists, bike riders and public transport users alike,"Minister Conlon said.

"It is essential that planning for projects of this magnitude is done properly – so that we can avoid leaving a laughable legacy like the previous Liberal government's absurd one-way expressway."

The Study examines future transport options and land use arrangements for patronage on the Tonsley Line and up to Flinders University and along South Road between Ayliffes Rd and the Southern Expressway.

This work is being jointly funded by the Gillard Labor Government.

The Department for Transport, Energy and Infrastructure (DTEI) will be inviting the public to provide feedback on the Darlington Transport Study, with an Environmental Report to be undertaken as part of this work to evaluate environmental, social and economic factors.

The document will be released for public consultation on 1 November and available online by going to http://www.infrastructure.sa.gov.au and following the links to the Darlington Transport Study.

It will be on public display Monday to Friday between 1 and 26 November at:

• Flinders Medical Centre, Flinders University, Marion Council office, Onkaparinga Council office and Mitcham Council office.

Open houses will also be held at:

• Flinders Medical Centre, Saturday 6 November, 11.00 am – 3.00 pm

• Flinders University, 9 November 12.00 pm - 9.00 pm

Interested parties can contact the community engagement team to obtain a copy of the executive summary of the report or a CD version of the report by telephone on 1300 002 033 or by email at: [email protected] e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it .

The closing date for written submissions is 29 November 2010.
Last edited by Norman on Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ricecrackers
Banned
Banned

#5 Post by ricecrackers » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:56 pm

lets wait and see if funding is forthcoming
If 50 million believe in a fallacy, it is still a fallacy..." Professor S.W. Carey

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#6 Post by Waewick » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:21 pm

agreed.

I'll stay positive but won't get too excited.

I'm still trying to get a tram line back through duthy street......I think this has more hope :lol:

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#7 Post by crawf » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:25 pm

Video of the new major underpass, aswell as a tramline to Flinders University
http://video.adelaidenow.com.au/1626812 ... ides-south

Old plans for the Sturt Road/Main South Road interchange

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#8 Post by crawf » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:28 pm

Concepts of the proposed Flinders Interchange - 2008
http://www.minister.infrastructure.gov. ... 5_2008.htm

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#9 Post by muzzamo » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:39 pm

There are two videos of this up on the youtube, in better quality than the adelaidenow website, for both the rail and road component:

I can't believe that rann and foley are as unpopular than as they are when they show more vision than any other state government in recent history...

Also the adelaidenow versions of the videos are lower quality and for some reason is missing the flinders uni segment

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#10 Post by crawf » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:50 pm

But is a tram the best solution?, I thought Flinders would be to far for a tramline

Thanks btw

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#11 Post by SRW » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:14 pm

So tram-trains are still on the table, despite speculation otherwise.

I think the road arrangements are pretty good, but for the absence of grade separation of the rail line across Sturt Rd. The solution they've proposed for Flinders Drive (overpass and extension through Sturt Triangle) is especially sensible as I suspect a high proportion of traffic is Marion-bound anyway (buses particularly).

The extension of the Tonsley line beyond the FMC to the uni seems ill-defined at this stage, and I think the article indicated it's been left for future consideration.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

#12 Post by Splashmo » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:48 pm

So let me get this straight - Flinders Drive is a new road going over Main South Road and through to Sturt Road?

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#13 Post by jk1237 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:54 pm

great idea but I wonder why they have this fascination for tram-trains, considering the line runs off the Noarlunga line. Noarlunga is heavy rail. Are they proposing trams from Flinders to Ascot or Mitchell Park to connect with trains to the city or something

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#14 Post by fabricator » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:25 pm

jk1237 wrote:great idea but I wonder why they have this fascination for tram-trains, considering the line runs off the Noarlunga line. Noarlunga is heavy rail. Are they proposing trams from Flinders to Ascot or Mitchell Park to connect with trains to the city or something
Who knows, that part of the tram corridor is missing from both videos.
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.

PeFe
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#15 Post by PeFe » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:05 pm

The video shows trams running to Flinders University, the government release talks about tram-trains but surely it should be a heavy rail corridor fully grade separated (or at least our new "light" heavy rail trains or light metro) This corridor has the potential to move thousands of people at peak hours and where is the bus interchange to utilize the quick rail transport into the city?