PRO: Tonsley Rail Extension

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
witsend
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: Rail Line to Flinders Uni

#31 Post by witsend » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:42 pm

Looking at it, I'd also look at the location of the stations along the Tonsley Line. Given that you would have tram trains, it would be possible for them to go sailing past stops like the current trams.

I'd be proposing a stop at Daws Rd, Celtic Avenue, Alawoona Rd. Mind you spacing could adjust to better suit passengers.

Perhaps, if integrating with heavy rail, split platform at Woodlands Park and lowering the height of Edwardstown, Emerson, Clarence Park would be in order as well. The tram trains could potentially leave the network at Clarence Park, follow East Avenue and join the tram line at Stop 4, Forestville, this could further link with a North Adelaide/Prospect Tram. This would mean that all Brighton/Noarlunga/Seaford Trains would be able to run express to/from Woodlands Park, with ability to mode shift, like you have to at the moment. Mind you, add the tram/trains to the tram line, and Goodwood Rd level will go up and down like an elevator in the Myer Centre.
Regards,

Samuel Wittwer
Posts are not necessarily supported or endorsed by any organisation I am associated with, and normally represent my own personal view.

Archer
High Rise Poster!

#32 Post by Archer » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:13 pm

Omicron wrote: I'd hazard a guess that part of the reason for using tram-trains is so that the length of Flinders Drive will have non-intrusive, easily-crossed tram tracks, allowing for right turns. I do know what you mean about the carpark exit, though - getting onto Flinders Drive in the first place with that heinous right turn from the carpark isn't the most enjoyable thing in the world, especially with the afternoon sun right in your face. And, really, aren't we meant to be moving away from at-grade intersections on main thoroughfares? Why is there one on Sturt Road, for goodness sake?
I would be suprised if they would have an unsignalised intersection across the tracks. Purely for safety reasons and especially in such a busy area, it would be a recipe for disaster. So I still have concerns about this, unless someone knows of a situation where this is currently working in a metro area?

PeFe
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#33 Post by PeFe » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:18 am

Does the South Australian Government seriously expect those trams to fulfill peak-hour transport needs from Flinders University, Flinders Medical Centre, the Sturt Park'n'Ride and the Tonsley Super Tafe? They can't be serious!-talk about underestimating how successful this train line can be!

metro
Legendary Member!

#34 Post by metro » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:00 pm

PeFe wrote:Does the South Australian Government seriously expect those trams to fulfill peak-hour transport needs from Flinders University, Flinders Medical Centre, the Sturt Park'n'Ride and the Tonsley Super Tafe? They can't be serious!-talk about underestimating how successful this train line can be!
Not only is there Flinders University, Flinders Medical Centre, Tonsley Super Tafe...we can add to that list a possible new station at the showgrounds (possible TOD), and at Edwardstown a bit closer to where castle plaza are planning on extending i think (also another possible TOD).. If it is a tram then each will need to be 2 citadis trams joined together and completly separated from the Seaford Line's tracks.

and that brings up another problem, if the Seaford line is going to run at a frequency of 4 or more trains per hour, and the new trams will as well, then all of the level crossings from Ascot Park to Keswick will only be closed longer than they are open (if they even open). and then there are freight trains at goodwood. Somehow i dont think it will work too well.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#35 Post by muzzamo » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:57 am

PeFe wrote:Does the South Australian Government seriously expect those trams to fulfill peak-hour transport needs from Flinders University, Flinders Medical Centre, the Sturt Park'n'Ride and the Tonsley Super Tafe? They can't be serious!-talk about underestimating how successful this train line can be!
Get long trams :-)

Isiskii
High Rise Poster!

#36 Post by Isiskii » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:45 pm

You can now view the Darlington Transport study online at
http://www.infrastructure.sa.gov.au/__d ... or_Web.pdf

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#37 Post by muzzamo » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:56 am

Would this be a good location for a governemnt toll on south road? Its an enormously expensive project (would have to be at least 1 billion) and is a "choke point" for people traveling into the city. Even after the cost of the project was recouped, a toll here would be a relatively fair way of charging commuters for road upgrades all to castle plaza and beyond.

rhino

#38 Post by rhino » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:51 am

muzzamo wrote:Would this be a good location for a governemnt toll on south road? Its an enormously expensive project (would have to be at least 1 billion) and is a "choke point" for people traveling into the city. Even after the cost of the project was recouped, a toll here would be a relatively fair way of charging commuters for road upgrades all to castle plaza and beyond.
No, it wouldn't be a good place to place a toll, because there is no alternative route without going well out of one's way. It's not like a controlled access road. Businesses are located on South Road, and the government cannot charge someone for access to their already-held property.
cheers,
Rhino

drsmith
Legendary Member!

#39 Post by drsmith » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:10 pm

Isiskii wrote:You can now view the Darlington Transport study online at
The economic and financial assessment on the bottom of page 15 is, well, rather brief.

Still, it looks nice.

Isiskii
High Rise Poster!

#40 Post by Isiskii » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:15 pm

drsmith wrote:
The economic and financial assessment on the bottom of page 15 is, well, rather brief.

Still, it looks nice.
Maybe it's the new Labor 'trend' to announce expensive infrastructure projects without a viable business case, or lack thereof of one.

drwaddles
High Rise Poster!

#41 Post by drwaddles » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:28 pm

It's the executive summary, not the whole report(s). :roll:

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#42 Post by monotonehell » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:30 pm

drsmith wrote:

Still, it looks nice.
Jumping the gun a bit there. This is just an exec summary of a request for comment wishy washy maybe announcement. Economic assessments would be part of the next step; a transport study.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

drsmith
Legendary Member!

#43 Post by drsmith » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:20 pm

Realistically, when would one expect construction to start on this ?

If in 5 years time, it will have to compete for funds with the Northern Connector.

Aidan

#44 Post by Aidan » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:07 am

drwaddles wrote:It's the executive summary, not the whole report(s). :roll:
The whole report is at http://www.dtei.sa.gov.au/__data/assets ... or_Web.PDF.

There's a lot more detail than in the executive summary, but there's still a lot it doesn't say. After requesting the CD (which I found contained those two files plus higher resolution versions of those movies, but nothing else) I emailed DTEI with some questions, but they initially declined to answer the important ones, and still haven't.

I've started a submission anyway. I'll upload a copy to my website when I've finished.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Aidan

#45 Post by Aidan » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:10 am

monotonehell wrote:Jumping the gun a bit there. This is just an exec summary of a request for comment wishy washy maybe announcement. Economic assessments would be part of the next step; a transport study.
As the environmental report makes clear, they've already done that... but in a really shoddy way!
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.