News & Discussion: Metropolitian Councils

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

Noarlunga Centre TOD

#31 Post by SRW » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:53 pm

I know that this has been tangentially remarked upon in other threads, but given the the master plan is open for public consultation, I thought it deserved its own.

The plan was prepared Parsons Brinckerhoff, the same outfit behind the Bowden Village plan (along with Hassel), and I have to say it's impressively ambitious -- certainly more so than I was expecting. Not only are they planning for at least 6,000 residents (and 4,000 workers), but over the period 2010-2040 they're intending to implement a new street grid (including by segmenting Colonnades), with a series of public plazas and 4-6 storey residential and commercial buildings, among other things. The catalyst for the area is to be the redevelopment of the railway station, envisaged to have a 10-12 storey area-defining building and 'green bridge' along the rail route.

More info here: http://www.onkaparingacity.com/onka/cou ... opment.jsp
Keep Adelaide Weird

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Noarlunga Centre TOD

#32 Post by Omicron » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:52 pm

Someone's put a lot of time into that, and it shows. Good on them. I hope it works. I can't wait to see similar plans for other locations across the city. How fascinating that the council apparently most receptive to the whole TOD concept is the furthest away from the CBD.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#33 Post by Will » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:01 pm

Omicron wrote:Someone's put a lot of time into that, and it shows. Good on them. I hope it works. I can't wait to see similar plans for other locations across the city. How fascinating that the council apparently most receptive to the whole TOD concept is the furthest away from the CBD.
The forces of NIMBY increase the closer one gets to the CBD

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#34 Post by AG » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:55 pm

There's also larger areas and populations served by the outer suburban council areas, so there's the interests of more stakeholders to be considered beyond the small-minded thinkers who dominate some of the smaller inner city council areas.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#35 Post by SRW » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:35 pm

I should mention that the master plan for the station precinct somewhat tempers the optimism of the overarching document, but only marginally so.
Keep Adelaide Weird

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#36 Post by mattblack » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:38 am

Will wrote:
Omicron wrote:Someone's put a lot of time into that, and it shows. Good on them. I hope it works. I can't wait to see similar plans for other locations across the city. How fascinating that the council apparently most receptive to the whole TOD concept is the furthest away from the CBD.
The forces of NIMBY increase the closer one gets to the CBD

The Noarlunga TOD will be one of the first off the ranks because of a variety of reasons including land availability, upgraded transport links and the existence of a regional activity centre. The big question will be what price range the developers will be aiming for to make a viable profit, this will determine the built form that we will see which will hopefully will blend into the surrounding area in a socio economic view. Basically you cannot transfer the same qualities that you would incorporate into a TOD in Bowden into one out at Noarlunga. Each one of these TOD will have to be carefully Planned, lets hope that both the Government and developers realise this.

Voice of the People
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Inner City Planning Review - First Public Look

#37 Post by Voice of the People » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:11 am

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 6016335663

Today's Sunday Mail has the first public look at the Department of Planning and Local Government's Inner Metro Rim Structure Plan Final Report prepared by Hassell, looking at increasing density in the inner suburbs around the CBD, amongst other matters.

Included in the review, which has been out to informal consultation amongst selected members of Adelaide's planning, business and local government community (they know who they are) since December, is the expected suggestions of mid-level mixed use zones along the arterial corridors; but some quite innovative suggestions including tram lines along more routes, stormwater retenton basin in the south west parklands and new O-Bahn station in Walkerville.

I have heard that most of the inner city Council planning staff are agog with excitement as are the business community. The issue for the untrusted government is whether they can bring the public along with them to share the vision, as this is probably the best planning initiative the current government has proposed.
"Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of power is power."

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Inner City Planning Review - First Public Look

#38 Post by AG » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:35 am

Some of those concept images seem to be more of what we've already seen already in previous months, but I am liking what I'm hearing so far. Now let's see if the government has learned anything about dealing with the community from previous projects, and properly consult with the community to try and garner support for its plan instead of trying to ram things through for approval as it has done with elements of the 30 Year Plan.

metro
Legendary Member!

#39 Post by metro » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:26 pm

lol i like how they say they're going to have trams down Unley road, Port Road and Prospect Road, but in the picutres i dont see any trams :(

Voice of the People
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#40 Post by Voice of the People » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:39 pm

I like the picture with the pelican in it.
"Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of power is power."

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#41 Post by Will » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:45 pm

I expect significant public opposition to this, as there is this perception that high-rise = slums.

There must be some kind of education campaign to help people realsie that this perception is simply not true. I hope people realise that like it or not, Adelaide's population will grow. We either have a choice of continuing to expand outwards and destroy some of our best agricultural and wine growing regions or build upwards in a sensible manner as proposed by this plan.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#42 Post by Wayno » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:18 pm

The PDFs attached to this google map make for good reading. No intricate detail, just broad brush concepts and statements like this...
Keswick TOD - Facilitate the redevelopment of the Keswick Army Barracks site to a high density mixed use precinct with a strong residential focus (3-14 storeys). Incorporate a new train station adjacent to the Keswick site and integrate it with the development through a quality public realm
and Port Rd adjacent to the parklands - current West End location
Port Road / East Terrace City Edge - Facilitate high density mixed use development as key components of the ‘Park Land boulevard’ and ‘city edge’ with activated commercial uses at street level with office and office and residential accommodation above (6-10 Storeys)
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#43 Post by crawf » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:53 pm

This is wonderful and all, but what about the actual CBD?. That's where the attention should be focused on first, then the suburbs

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#44 Post by Wayno » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:01 pm

crawf wrote:This is wonderful and all, but what about the actual CBD?. That's where the attention should be focused on first, then the suburbs
It will certainly dilute the CBD focus. Also, depending upon timing we can essentially say goodbye to any chance of a new tallest.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#45 Post by AG » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:24 pm

crawf wrote:This is wonderful and all, but what about the actual CBD?. That's where the attention should be focused on first, then the suburbs
Wayno wrote:It will certainly dilute the CBD focus. Also, depending upon timing we can essentially say goodbye to any chance of a new tallest.
We need to observe that this will mostly affect the residential sector rather than the office market. Many businesses will still be looking at establishing office space in the central business district and so I don't think we're going to see construction in the city stop simply because high density residential communities are going to be established on the parklands fringe. Tall buildings would be great, but it is really the quality development and community spaces that we need. If anything, having increased inner city density will be beneficial to businesses in the CBD.