COM: Northern Expressway | 22km

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
marquisite
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: #COM: Northern Expressway | 22km

#436 Post by marquisite » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:30 pm

From what I gather based on the Nearmap update as at November 19, an on-ramp connecting city-bound Port Wakefield Rd traffic to the NEXY is being constructed. I cannot find this mentioned in any of the NEXY renders, though. The ramp is not mentioned in the Northern Connector brochure either.

Interesting..

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#437 Post by muzzamo » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:39 pm

marquisite wrote:From what I gather based on the Nearmap update as at November 19, an on-ramp connecting city-bound Port Wakefield Rd traffic to the NEXY is being constructed. I cannot find this mentioned in any of the NEXY renders, though. The ramp is not mentioned in the Northern Connector brochure either.

Interesting..
I noticed the exact same thing when i drove past today... Pt Wakefield rd is down to 40k/h and only 1 lane.

I guess it makes sense - the land is there and it doesn't exactly look like a challenging engineering project.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#438 Post by Nathan » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:35 pm

I took the expressway both ways for our NY trip to Clare. The expressway itself is very nice, and quick, but someone really needs to work on signage.

I'm not overly familiar with the northern suburbs, but knew to head out of the city via Main North Rd. From there, who knows, because there is not one damn sign telling you how to get to the Expressway. I thankfully went the right way at Gepps Cross, but then got caught out and ended up stuck on the Salisbury Highway (following instructions for Gawler, and that it looked like an interchange onto an expressway). Once I went past a couple of lights, it was obvious that it wasn't right, so had to make my way through back streets to get back on to Port Wakefield Rd, before finally getting to the Expressway. I know now, but what about tourists new to Adelaide, heading out to the Barossa in their hire car?

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#439 Post by Wayno » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:18 pm

Nathan wrote:I took the expressway both ways for our NY trip to Clare. The expressway itself is very nice, and quick, but someone really needs to work on signage.

I'm not overly familiar with the northern suburbs, but knew to head out of the city via Main North Rd. From there, who knows, because there is not one damn sign telling you how to get to the Expressway. I thankfully went the right way at Gepps Cross, but then got caught out and ended up stuck on the Salisbury Highway (following instructions for Gawler, and that it looked like an interchange onto an expressway). Once I went past a couple of lights, it was obvious that it wasn't right, so had to make my way through back streets to get back on to Port Wakefield Rd, before finally getting to the Expressway. I know now, but what about tourists new to Adelaide, heading out to the Barossa in their hire car?
Recommend you email to [email protected] otherwise nothing will be done about it. My missus experienced exactly the same issue recently, and we emailed them with our complaint.

http://dtei.sa.gov.au/contact_us
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#440 Post by Hooligan » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:13 am

Invest in a street directory

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

#441 Post by Splashmo » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:10 am

The signage at the intersection there at Gepps Cross still points to the Barossa, Clare and Riverland on Main North Road. You and any tourist will still get to those places if you go down Main North Road.

Obviously it's clearer coming back, where they exert all effort to get you onto the Northern Expressway.

Nathan

#442 Post by Nathan » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:21 am

Obviously you still get there taking all of Main North Rd, but that's not really the point is it?
Is it marked in street directories yet? It's certainly not on Google Maps.

You'd just think you could spend the extra $1m on a handful of road signs, so that people can actually get to and use your $500m expressway.

Thanks for the link Wayno.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#443 Post by jk1237 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:15 pm

our city and state would have to have the worst signage of anywhere. Was commenting on this while driving back from southern Yorke Pensinula. I knew exactly where I was, but I had to direct my friends back to Adelaide. Just after Minlaton there is an important T junction. The signs showed Maitland straight on, and Ardrossan to the right, but no Adelaide anywhere. Adelaide was to the right but is not signed anywhere on Yorke Pen. Your lucky to see Port Wakefield, but still if you are a tourist - what or where is Port Wakefield? The one suburb that has a few signs within the metro area is Gepps Cross, but again, whats of interest at Gepps Cross?

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#444 Post by crawf » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:48 pm

Nathan wrote:Obviously you still get there taking all of Main North Rd, but that's not really the point is it?
Is it marked in street directories yet? It's certainly not on Google Maps.

You'd just think you could spend the extra $1m on a handful of road signs, so that people can actually get to and use your $500m expressway.

Thanks for the link Wayno.
That whole intersection in Gepps Cross needs a major upgrade, including decent signage. Even before the construction of the Northern Expressway, it has always been a dogs breakfast for such an important junction.

Though it's a breeze to enter the Northern Expressway from around Gawler, with loads of signage including distance to Elizabeth, Port Adelaide, City etc
jk1237 wrote:our city and state would have to have the worst signage of anywhere. Was commenting on this while driving back from southern Yorke Pensinula. I knew exactly where I was, but I had to direct my friends back to Adelaide. Just after Minlaton there is an important T junction. The signs showed Maitland straight on, and Ardrossan to the right, but no Adelaide anywhere. Adelaide was to the right but is not signed anywhere on Yorke Pen. Your lucky to see Port Wakefield, but still if you are a tourist - what or where is Port Wakefield?

The one suburb that has a few signs within the metro area is Gepps Cross, but again, whats of interest at Gepps Cross?
That's pretty common interstate aswell, I can think of many signs in regional Victoria that show the direction to a nearby town rather than Melbourne.

Gepps Cross is the junction of 3 major roads, States Sport Park and now home to Adelaide's largest homemaker centre. Plus majority of Adelaidians know where the suburb is located.

Westside
High Rise Poster!

#445 Post by Westside » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:25 pm

I found the most annoying part is heading off the expressway to Gawler. If you get off at the first signed exit - two wells rd, you end up travelling a rabbit-warren including paper signs to get to Gawler. I'm not sure if it has changed since, but there needs to be a better way to get to Gawler from the expressway.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#446 Post by Hooligan » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:05 am

One sign that also could be changed is the sign at the exit of Heaslip road saying Edinburgh. It should also say Elizabeth.

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

Aidan

#447 Post by Aidan » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:04 pm

Westside wrote:I found the most annoying part is heading off the expressway to Gawler. If you get off at the first signed exit - two wells rd, you end up travelling a rabbit-warren including paper signs to get to Gawler. I'm not sure if it has changed since, but there needs to be a better way to get to Gawler from the expressway.
The problem isn't getting to Gawler from the expressway, it's getting to Gawler from another part of Gawler.

The best solution would be for the Two Wells Road exit signs to say Gawler Station and direct Gawler traffic to leave at the following exit.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Mants
Legendary Member!

#448 Post by Mants » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:14 pm

*slightly off topic*
has anyone else seen the sign on greenhill road at the glen osmond road intersection which has a big arrow next to the word MELBOURNE. i always found this quite bizarre.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#449 Post by monotonehell » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:45 pm

Mants wrote:*slightly off topic*
has anyone else seen the sign on greenhill road at the glen osmond road intersection which has a big arrow next to the word MELBOURNE. i always found this quite bizarre.
What's wrong with that? It's the way to Melbourne.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#450 Post by crawf » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:07 pm

Mants wrote:*slightly off topic*
There's been a direction sign to Melbourne for the past 20+ years at that particular intersection. There is direction signs to the word ADELAIDE in Melbourne.