Fringe Festival

All event related discussion should go here.. e.g. Clipsal 500, Womadelaide, SALA, etc.
Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: 2012 Fringe Festival

#16 Post by Wayno » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:47 am

i suppose this can be classified as a Fringe event:

under this tin roof - behind the Crown & Anchor hotel

What a neat way to create more interest in wine making - right in the heart of the City!
NEW vintage wines are ready for taste testing on your doorstep. Vinteloper owner and winemaker David Bowley has turned a disused courtyard in Union St, behind the Crown & Anchor Hotel, into a “pop-up” winery.
popup-winery.jpg
popup-winery.jpg (24.79 KiB) Viewed 6076 times
Visitors can watch as grapes from regions including the Adelaide Hills, McLaren Vale and Clare Valley are delivered to the courtyard and processed on site.

“There will be foot-trodding two to three times a day, fermenting and I will be using basket presses to press the grapes,” Mr Bowley says. “Then we will transfer them to barrels where the wine will be stored.

“I want people to realise there is still us romantics out there making wine the way people have always pictured it.”

Mr Bowley plans to make a range of wines during his city stint, such as Adelaide Hills pinot noir and Clare Valley riesling.

He hopes it will appeal to Mad March revellers.

“The nature of the timing is just due to when the grapes get ripe so that was a bit of a fluke,” he says. “But I want to give people another option and another place to hang out and recreate a bit of that festive atmosphere. I want to encourage people to visit, bring their lunch, conduct a meeting or just sit and observe and immerse themselves in the education, cultural and artistic aspects of wine making.”

People can watch Mr Bowley make wine daily from noon until midnight.

Tastings will be offered on Fridays to Sundays.

The pop-up winery runs until April 1.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

#17 Post by peas_and_corn » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:50 pm

What an easy way to get a brett infection.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#18 Post by jk1237 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:27 pm

that outdoor winebar mentioned above is great. Very cool idea, unfortunately the guy at the bar says its only open for rest of March. Wish it could stay open

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#19 Post by Ben » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:47 pm

This is annoying

http://www.melbournefringe.com.au/

There is now even a Sydney and Perth one and get this the Perth one has created their own "Garden of unearthly delights".

I can see the competition between cities heating up over the next decade.

claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#20 Post by claybro » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:12 pm

Ben wrote:This is annoying

There is now even a Sydney and Perth one and get this the Perth one has created their own "Garden of unearthly delights".

Dont be too concerned about the Perth "Garden" I was there a few weeks ago and it had nothing on ours. For all I admire about Perths infastructure, cleanliness and beutiful well maintained parks, it is a city full of bogans with too much money,and not enough class. Gina is an apt ambassador for WA.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#21 Post by Wayno » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:30 pm

Ben wrote:This is annoying.
Damn right. Maybe we should start the Adelaide International Comedy Festival.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Shahkar
High Rise Poster!

#22 Post by Shahkar » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:38 pm

Wayno wrote:
I don't see why not! It would go very nicely at this time :D

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Fringe Festival

#23 Post by crawf » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:10 am

Despite all this, the Adelaide Fringe is still the biggest out of all them combined. Though the State Government still needs to heavily promote the Fringe nationally and make it even better for next year.

Btw the Melbourne Fringe has been around for the past 31 years
Wayno wrote:
What we should do is look at poaching one of their events. Maybe the Kooyong Classic?, it could be hosted at the Adelaide Entertainment Centre until we finally get a decent tennis/entertainment venue.

Shahkar
High Rise Poster!

#24 Post by Shahkar » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:26 am

crawf wrote:Despite all this, the Adelaide Fringe is still the biggest out of all them combined. Though the State Government still needs to heavily promote the Fringe nationally and make it even better for next year.
Exactly! Surprisingly, quite a lot of people I know did not about the Fringe! And not only nationally, internationally as well! And about poaching other events, I actually think we should do it! All other states do it, have more success and take all the credit. Being nice doesn't work anymore :roll:

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#25 Post by Maximus » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:36 am

I have a highly scientifically-valid theory that you can judge the national profile of an event by whether it receives a visit from the morning TV weatherman or sports reporter.

I'm a Sunrise viewer, so can't comment on Today, but the only SA event Sunrise ever visits is the Clipsal. Whereas Grant Denyer will often be at events such as the Melbourne Comedy Festival, Sydney Film Festival, etc, etc. It can't be related to travel budget restrictions, because that guy criss-crosses Australia like nobody else.

The Adelaide Fringe Festival is not well-known outside SA at all. Kochie, being an Adelaide boy, should give them all a kick up the bum and let them know just how big our Fringe really is!
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#26 Post by crawf » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:17 pm

Maximus wrote:I have a highly scientifically-valid theory that you can judge the national profile of an event by whether it receives a visit from the morning TV weatherman or sports reporter.

I'm a Sunrise viewer, so can't comment on Today, but the only SA event Sunrise ever visits is the Clipsal. Whereas Grant Denyer will often be at events such as the Melbourne Comedy Festival, Sydney Film Festival, etc, etc. It can't be related to travel budget restrictions, because that guy criss-crosses Australia like nobody else.

The Adelaide Fringe Festival is not well-known outside SA at all. Kochie, being an Adelaide boy, should give them all a kick up the bum and let them know just how big our Fringe really is!
Yes even small promotions like this will actually boast our Festival Season interstate. It's high time the rest of Australia knows how good Adelaide is in Jan-March.

However one thing I did notice this year, was one of the hosts of the TV show 'The Project' was presenting at the Garden of Unearthly Delights for most of the week. Would of been good if they showcased more than the Garden, but still at least it's something.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#27 Post by Vee » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:14 pm

Check out the growth of the Garden of Unearthly Delights over time via a series of aerial photos, courtesy of AeroMetrex

Bigger and Better.
http://aerometrex.com.au/blog/?p=251

Jaxon Pescott
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#28 Post by Jaxon Pescott » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:23 pm

I am interested to get verified plan for free transport & guides so what source is best to check latest news and happenings. I will appreciate to quick responses.
Face is the Index of Mind

Dvious
Legendary Member!

#29 Post by Dvious » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:42 pm

Google is quick and easy to use.

oscar13
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#30 Post by oscar13 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:11 pm

claybro wrote:
Ben wrote:This is annoying

Dont be too concerned about the Perth "Garden" I was there a few weeks ago and it had nothing on ours. For all I admire about Perths infastructure, cleanliness and beutiful well maintained parks, it is a city full of bogans with too much money,and not enough class. Gina is an apt ambassador for WA.
Yeah. I live in Perth and the Fringe here is minor compared to Adelaide's.
And the Garden, is nothing to rave about...
Heading to Adelaide for long weekend in March. looking forward to it.

And sadly, your description of Perth is close to the mark! :?