[COM] Highway Inn (Stage 2) | 4 Storeys | Mixed Use

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: #PRO: Highway Inn | 8lvls 34m | Hotel | Plympton

#91 Post by Omicron » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:12 pm

Something will come eventually. It's effectively a blank canvas in an excellent location.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#92 Post by Will » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:33 am

There was a small article in this weeks Guardian messenger, stating that this development is still alive.

The owners of the site say they have not yet abandoned their plans, but are waiting for the economic fundamentals to improve before going ahead.

They however, also say, they will review the future of the site, if these economic fundamentals have not improved by the end of this year.

skyliner

#93 Post by skyliner » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:04 pm

It's a long way now from May 2007 when were first noticed this. Fundamentals take a long time it seems.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

MessiahAndrw
High Rise Poster!

#94 Post by MessiahAndrw » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:50 pm

I'm for one am grateful not much is happening yet. Just look at the picture on this billboard of what is being built there:
Xaragmata wrote: Image
We don't need another ugly car park visible from the street - move parking behind the building, or eliminate it completely.
My blog on urban design: http://www.andrewalexanderprice.com/blog.php

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#95 Post by Will » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:50 pm

MessiahAndrw wrote:I'm for one am grateful not much is happening yet. Just look at the picture on this billboard of what is being built there:
Xaragmata wrote: Image
We don't need another ugly car park visible from the street - move parking behind the building, or eliminate it completely.

The image you have supplied is for an un-related development. It has nothing to do with the proposed Highway Inn development.

(furthermroe, that has already been built)

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#96 Post by Will » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:18 pm

Here is the article I was talking about.

From the Messenger:
Plympton high-rise still in pipeline

Business 26 Mar 12 @ 07:30am by Tim Williams

SOLID GROUND: Martin Palmer is committed to developing an apartment complex next to The Highway hotel.

THE developer behind a proposed high-rise apartment and shopping complex at Plympton says he remains committed to the project, five years after it was announced.

Palmer Hospitality Group director Martin Palmer said finance was the major hurdle to launching the $70 million development, next to
The Highway hotel located at the corner of Anzac Highway and Marion Rd.

Plans were released in 2009 for an eight-storey development with up to 120 apartments, ground level supermarket, 20 specialty shops, restaurants, cafes, second floor offices and up to 550 carparks.

The development was given major project status by the State Government in 2007, which has since been renewed.

Mr Palmer said he had already spent about $350,000 on planning.

“We’re certainly still actively pursuing the development,” Mr Palmer said.

“We are continuing to work through the hurdles that are keeping us from ... being able to break ground.”

Mr Palmer said the global financial crisis had “changed everything”, including the appetite of financiers, funding costs and the real estate market.

He said the site was “perfect” for the project but it depended on securing the right “economic modelling”.

“Building apartments is a very, very high-risk game,” he said.

“Who’s ever built apartments in Adelaide that aren’t in the CBD or by the sea? It’s very scary to be that first cab off the rank.”

Mr Palmer said other, unspecified options would have to be considered for the site if the project was not viable by the end of the year.

“I don’t even want to think about that,” he said.

Palmer Hospitality Group bought The Highway in 2004 and spent $3 million upgrading the hotel.

Over the following three years, the group bought surrounding properties, including four houses, flats and shops, to pave the way for the development

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#97 Post by Ben » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:19 pm

Plympton apartment complex to be scaled back

Local News8 Aug 12 @ 11:07am by Tim Williams

SCALED back plans for a long-awaited, multi-storey apartment and shopping complex at Plympton might be lodged with the State Government within four months.

Palmer Hospitality Group says it has slightly downsized its previous plans for a $70 million, eight-storey development with 120 apartments, proposed at Anzac Highway and Marion Rd intersection next to The Highway hotel.

Group director Martin Palmer said he was working with the Transport Department on issues including the impact on traffic flow through the major intersection and appropriate entry and exit points.

He hoped to have them resolved by the end of September, then lodge plans with the Development Assessment Commission within two months and start seeking financial backers.

He would not detail how the plans had been scaled back, but said: "We were probably trying to fit a bit too much on the site (before)."

Mr Palmer said the fact the government had maintained the special planning status reflected its confidence the project had good prospects of proceeding.

The government in June removed major project status from hotel developments at Wayville and Kent Town which have a combined worth of $420 million, with Planning Minister John Rau saying that stalled projects had "a potential dampening effect on other development prospects in the vicinity".

Nathan

[COM] Re: PRO: [Plympton] Highway Inn | 8lvls | 34m | Hotel

#98 Post by Nathan » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:05 am

Look what's back, and looking much more bland.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 6564013931
New look at $70m development for corner of Anzac Highway and Marion Rd

THIS is what the Anzac Highway and Marion Rd corner might look like if plans for a $70 million development are given the green light by the State Government.

The Palmer Hospitality Group has released artist impressions of its long-awaited, multi-storey apartment blocks and shopping complex to the Guardian Messenger.

Group director Martin Palmer said he hoped building on the development, which would feature two four-storey apartment blocks, an eight-storey building, parking and shops, would start within two years.

"We are getting our plans together at the moment to put to the Development Assessment Commission (DAC) and hope to have those approved," Mr Palmer said.

"Those plans haven't been approved ... but once we have gone through that process, we're hopeful we'll have buildings there by 2015. At the moment there is no clear timeline."

Mr Palmer said businesses at the site, behind the Highway Hotel, had been given notice to vacate their premises, but no demolition applications had been lodged.

"We're trying to give tenants as much chance to make other arrangements as possible," he said.

"I admit this process has taken a while ... but it's all a working progress at the moment."

Marion Road Furniture store owner Richard Blumberg, who has been given notice by the Palmer Hospitality Group to move out of his premises by the end of February, said the development would benefit the area.

"It's going to be better than what's here now," he said.

"The development doesn't bother me ... it's good to see things are moving."

A plan to redevelop the site was announced in 2009 and featured an eight-storey building with up to 120 apartments, a ground level supermarket, 20 specialty shops, restaurants, cafes, second floor offices and up to 550 carparks.

Those plans were changed following community consultation.

The Palmer Hospitality Group bought the Highway Hotel in 2004.

A Planning Department spokeswoman said it was not known when the development application would be considered by the DAC.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#99 Post by SRW » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:56 am

Will still be a magnificent improvement on what's there, so let's hope this proposal maintains momentum.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Adeguy72
Gold-Member ;)

#100 Post by Adeguy72 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:06 pm

In my opinion this site is long overdue for redevelopment and what is proposed should be fantastic.
My only concerns are about traffic - as the intersection is already a bottleneck in peak hour.

Plus, the sketches suggest cheap gawdy building design more suited to somewhere like Mawson Lakes.
Do we really want something looking like this at a major intersection?

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#101 Post by omada » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:31 am

Man are you guys hard to please! The proposal looks great and at least looks like it has a chance to become reality.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#102 Post by Will » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:49 pm

Things may appear to be starting. The old video rental shop has closed down, and the antique shop is currently having a 'demolition sale'.

fkj
Gold-Member ;)

#103 Post by fkj » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:22 pm

Adeguy72 wrote:Plus, the sketches suggest cheap gawdy building design more suited to somewhere like Mawson Lakes.
Do we really want something looking like this at a major intersection?
I agree, another half arsed el cheapo development. I would have rather kept what is there if this is the alternative :2cents:

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#104 Post by Eurostar » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:33 pm

I welcome this new apartment complex, its in a great location, with shops, plenty of public transport options, plenty of shops, banks and will have great views of the city and beach. I do hope soon though that there is a tram overpass put in to go over Marion Road and a tram overpass to go over Greenhill Road

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#105 Post by UrbanSG » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:51 am

I agree Eurostar it's a great location between the CBD and Glenelg. The development doesn't look tacky to me, especially considering it is located in a standard mid-suburban location, without water frontage etc. It needs to be affordable.

I agree even more about the need for a tram overpass over Marion Road, especially if this development proceeds. This area is a nightmare in peak hour, particularly the evening peak hour. The area, including Anzac Highway turns into gridlock. It's not just bad for cars, it's also bad for bike riders, buses, pedestrians. It's almost all because of the tram crossing being too close to two major intersections Anzac Highway/Marion Road and Cross Road/ Marion Road. The boom gates are up and down every few minutes in peak hour and the traffic lights are not well coordinated either.

Putting an overpass here would probably reduce the amount of traffic on South Road slightly too as many people currently avoid Marion Road as a north south route because of this area of continual gridlock and I'm sure some of these people use South Road instead.