PRO: [Hindmarsh] Nexus Centre | 32m | 8lvls | Office

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
ynotsfables
High Rise Poster!

Re: #PRO: 8 Lvls | ~32m | Nexus Centre Port Road

#16 Post by ynotsfables » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:19 pm

Contrary to some peoples belief i think the entertainment center is situated in the ideal location. This area with these new office buildings the TOD, the tram, soccer stadium, channel 7 etc is dying to evolve.
Someone had good forsight many years ago.
This will become the city. Think of it as expanding our perameters with out touching the park lands. I always believed Adelaide would expand via its arterial roads.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#17 Post by AtD » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:17 pm

Cheers Ben. Who are the architects?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#18 Post by Norman » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:20 pm

I still have no idea where this is? Is this one near the Gov/Church?

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#19 Post by AtD » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:32 pm

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#20 Post by Norman » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:45 pm

Ah thanks, thought it would be there, but it's not exactly on Port Road now, is it?

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#21 Post by Ben » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:54 am

Found some new renders.

http://www.hamessharley.com.au/portfoli ... t-101.html

It also looks like this is now 11 Stories?
A contemporary eight storey office building incorporating associated parking and retail tenancies was proposed due to increasing demand for city fringe office accommodation and foreseen potential of the Adelaide Entertainment Centre site (AEC). Although urban in its nature, Nexus – Lot 101 delivers an integrated set of uses; retail, entertainment and media. It is a building that resonates with its’ neighbours Channel 7, AEC and Norbertos to create a campus style development and enhance the activity along the top of Port Road. The development will encompass world’s best approach in passive and active sustainable development and aims to achieve a 5 star rating.

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#22 Post by Prince George » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:47 pm

It's a little hard to tell what exactly to expect from just a couple of images, but I think I like this a little more than the earlier images. Oh, for a building that wasn't a cube, but the open areas at least have a fun element to them. Am I right to think that the second building is an 8- or 9-level carpark? Considering its location between tram extension, railway lines, and the buses along Port Rd, it's a shame that couldn't be a bit smaller. And it doesn't seem to have much of a street-front either. OTOH, I appreciate that they hid it behind that more interesting looking screen. To whoever is responsible - change the lower levels to something more interesting and I'll name something after you. (Maybe not a child, but perhaps a pet-rock.)

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#23 Post by stumpjumper » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:34 pm

Glass box with penetrations, glass box with facade screen - all acceptable current architectural practice.

I think its a pity that this development - and the channel 7 studio, could not have been built in the CBD. Think of the tenants in the office tower - service industries, businesses with clients in the western suburbs hoping to become more accessible and attractive to clients and potential clients...

When there is room on the CBD for such a building, with its occupants who are very likely to employ young office workers or sales people who are the ideal demographic for apartment style walk to work living being trumpeted by the city planners (and the Property Council I might add), why are we approving office buildings like this just outside the CBD?

Buildings like this erode the vitality of the CBD. 200 fewer people having a coffee at lunchtime. Instead, there might be a struggling in house cafe. What a waste. We should decide what we want to do - promote a vibrant CBD, or look after every near city landowner by offering to spot rezone their land to take 8, 10, what the heck 20 stories, anywhere you like. Just make sure you contribute to SA Progressive Business on your way to the bank.

Perhaps the real reason is that having bought the land at a price reflecting its former development potential of 2 or 3 stories, the owner wants to make money the easy way by having it rezoned for 8 levels. The owner is then a few million richer for the cost of a phone call.

Another point, while I'm whinging, wouldn't it have been a good idea to offer channel 7 space at the spanking new $45 million film and television hub at Glenside? The official response from the Prem's dept: 'At the time of approving 7's project no-one had any idea that there would be a film and tv hub at Glenside.'

Channel 7 was only built 5 years ago. That's why we need long term planning.

ynotsfables
High Rise Poster!

#24 Post by ynotsfables » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:51 pm

This is going to look fantastic, I always imagined this area to start flourishing soon . This will compliment the TOD for sure. Hindmarsh is becoming a very attractive suburb and so close to the city.
I've mentioned this before somewhere but i can see this being a vibrant West Adelaide precinct well done. 8)

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#25 Post by AtD » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:10 pm

I suppose I should be grateful that they've tried to spruce up the car park a bit... but eww it's a car park.

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#26 Post by skyliner » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:01 am

I notice it's not far from the tram line. A bit like KWS STh, the line is upgraded and extended and high rise follows.

SA - STATE ON THE MOVE
Jack.

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#27 Post by stumpjumper » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:35 pm

I'm still at a loss to understand why a development like this (and the Channel 7 one which preceded it for that matter) isn't in the CBD.

It can't be good policy to develop the inner suburbs at the expense of the CBD?

What's going on?

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#28 Post by Nathan » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:31 pm

stumpjumper wrote:I'm still at a loss to understand why a development like this (and the Channel 7 one which preceded it for that matter) isn't in the CBD.

What's going on?
I'm all for it. Maybe what the city needs is some competition from the inner suburbs to kick it into gear.

The car park for this looks better than the main building...

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#29 Post by AtD » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:57 pm

stumpjumper wrote:I'm still at a loss to understand why a development like this (and the Channel 7 one which preceded it for that matter) isn't in the CBD.

What's going on?
Because not all office tenants are willing or able to pay CBD rents. Simple.

If this was the middle of nowhere, I'd agree with you. However there's plenty of shops, pubs and public transport in reasonable walking distance. The area is already full of commercial and light industry and it's directly opposite the Adelaide Uni Thebarton campus.

This will fit in well with the plans for the Clipsal site up the road.

ChrisRT
Gold-Member ;)

#30 Post by ChrisRT » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:57 pm

What's going on?
Probably because the land is cheaper and they don't have to worry about it being rejected by ACC because it's downwind of a 'heritage' building.

The design looks great too. The overall impression is a building that complements, rather than damages, the evolving landscape of the area.