COM: [Glenelg] Bay Junction Shopping Centre | $60m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Shuz
Banned
Banned

Re: #U/C: | Bay Junction | $60m | 3lvls | Retail | Glenelg

#151 Post by Shuz » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:08 pm

The cinema building is still there; no need to worry about it.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#152 Post by Will » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:41 pm

Shuz wrote:The cinema building is still there; no need to worry about it.
Quite the contrary Shuz. Although the cinema is still there, if the owners cannot find an economically viable option to preserve it, it will be demolished. So yes we should worry about it.

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#153 Post by skyliner » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:18 am

That last pic seems to indicate the third flor will not continue trio the theatre, yet the one with Wayno's wonderful 3-D attachment show 3 floors right through. Has something happened here?

BTW - talking of theatres - Brisbane's last big old theatre (the Regent) is coming down for a 40 floor block. Will never another one like that againAll restored in the 1980's to it's former glory with 1000 seat auditorium - from 1920's.
Hope a use is found for this one. Only been there once - slightly modernised into 2 theatres from memory. It represents a form of architecture rapidly
disappearing.

SA - STATE ON THE MOVE
Jack.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#154 Post by Shuz » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:38 am

How is the Holdfast Council letting this one slide so easy then, was it not heritage?

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#155 Post by Will » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:18 am

Shuz wrote:How is the Holdfast Council letting this one slide so easy then, was it not heritage?
It's hard to believe, but no it isn't heritage listed.

Xaragmata

#156 Post by Xaragmata » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:40 pm

skyliner wrote:That last pic seems to indicate the third flor will not continue trio the theatre, yet the one with Wayno's wonderful 3-D attachment show 3 floors right through. Has something happened here?
The top floor is offices(?) on the corner of Jetty & Brighton, and does not reach the cinema - apparently it will be an open car park on much
of the top deck. Some pics from last Friday:

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#157 Post by Wayno » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:42 pm

from the photos above it appears those 2 palm trees will need to go - they are jammed underneath the 3rd story balcony with no room for growth! presumably the council wanted them retained as a part of the development?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

baytram366
High Rise Poster!

#158 Post by baytram366 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:10 pm

Thanks for the update guys. The last I heard is that the cinema is most likely going to be bulldozed which is very very sad.
I hope that this is not true.
It looks like the palm trees have almost been built in the building design and the building built around them. But yeah they have grown a lot since I last saw it and look very squeezed in there under that upper decking.
Baytram 366's Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34520752@N07/collections

skyliner

#159 Post by skyliner » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:24 pm

Xaragmata wrote:
skyliner wrote:That last pic seems to indicate the third flor will not continue trio the theatre, yet the one with Wayno's wonderful 3-D attachment show 3 floors right through. Has something happened here?
The top floor is offices(?) on the corner of Jetty & Brighton, and does not reach the cinema - apparently it will be an open car park on much
of the top deck. Some pics from last Friday:

Thanks for the very good clarification Xaragmata. Two floors just does not seem to cut it in an inner suburb such as Glenelg. Must be posts or something like that in 'Wayno's render giving illusion of height in this part of the bldg.

SA - STATE ON THE MOVE
Jack.

ghs

#160 Post by ghs » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:03 pm

I think it's a real pity that latitude didn't go ahead........ that would have been heaps better than this project

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#161 Post by Brando » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:43 pm

ghs wrote:I think it's a real pity that latitude didn't go ahead........ that would have been heaps better than this project
Not being an ass, but you do realise they were two different sites?

baytram366
High Rise Poster!

#162 Post by baytram366 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:15 pm

Walked past the cinema on Saturday night on the way back from a bit of a night out and took a look through the paper covering the walls. It looks as if the fantastic blue carpet is still there a long with the stairs but all the signs and adverts etc have been removed. Couldn't see if the ticketing desk was still there but it looked a bit empty from my quick look.
I wonder if the cinemas themselves have been stripped yet, and if so, what happened to all the chairs and such??? I want one for my house :lol:
Baytram 366's Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34520752@N07/collections

ghs

#163 Post by ghs » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:27 pm

Brando wrote:
ghs wrote:I think it's a real pity that latitude didn't go ahead........ that would have been heaps better than this project
Mate, I am not an idiot. I am just saying latitude excited me, this one doesn't.

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#164 Post by Brando » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:14 pm

ghs wrote:
Brando wrote:
Mate, I am not an idiot. I am just saying latitude excited me, this one doesn't.
Did i insinuate that you were an idiot?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#165 Post by Norman » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:32 am

From The Messenger: http://guardian-messenger.whereilive.co ... tage-test/
Old Glenelg cinema fails heritage test

16 Sep 09 @ 07:51am by David Goldsmith

THE former Glenelg Cinema is a step closer to possible demolition after Holdfast Bay Council failed to get the landmark building heritage-listed.

The knockback by the Department of Environment and Heritage (DEH) which judged the 72 year old Jetty Rd building had insufficient heritage value to meet the criteria has removed one potential obstacle against razing it, according to Bay CEO Justin Lynch.

``That’s the end of the line for us,’’ he said.

``It’s now a matter of working with the people who own it to see if we can get a sympathetic development on that site which is good for the community, rather than the obliteration of the building.’’

The Wallis Group closed the doors of the Art Deco cinema last February, saying falling patronage since the opening of the 30-screen Marion Megaplex meant it was no longer viable.

In April, the council’s development assessment panel (DAP) granted Wallis permission to convert the building into a mixed restaurant/office space, while also allowing demolition to proceed should
costings show that a conversion was not economically feasible.

Wallis spokesman Philip Roberts said the company was still exploring its options for the site.

``I would like to think that certainly within the next six months it would be resolved,’’ he said. ``Obviously the Wallis Group is under no pressure to hurry along. It will make a full investigation of all the
relevant options and decide which one is best for it.’’

Mr Roberts said the neighbouring $60 million Bay Junction redevelopment would help to make the eastern end of Jetty Rd ``more attractive’’ from a retail perspective.

Mayor Ken Rollond said the council had ``exhausted its options’’ for protecting the old cinema.

``We can’t do any more and it’s really up to the owners,’’ he said.

``I hope that it will be more economically viable to keep it as it is, without knocking it over.’’

Mr Rollond described the two-storey building as one of the nicest on Jetty Rd.

``It’s quite a striking building ... and trying to preserve it is a really worthwhile thing to do.’’

A DEH spokeswoman said although the building was the first Art Deco cinema built in Adelaide, many of its original ``significant internal features’’ had been lost or changed over time.

``(The changes) compromised the extent to which the theatre can represent its significance as an early Art Deco building and cinema,’’ she said in an emailed statement.