News & Discussion: CBD Retail

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#1681 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:29 pm

SRW wrote:While we're on the ACP building... does anyone know why Tiffany & Co have installed a monstrous access ramp on North Tce that invades half the footpath? I thought wheelchair access was available through the David Jones foyer? My gripe is not with equal access infrastructure, more that I don't think the public realm should have to be sacrificed due to perhaps shortsighted design in a very recent development - ie, it should have been inbuilt in the first place.
I noticed that! The choice of materials used (looks like heavy duty plywood) to build it suggest that's it's only a temporary fixture, it's ghastly though and as you've said it takes up a majority of the footpath.

Patrick_27

#1682 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:32 pm

SRW wrote:
jk1237 wrote:interesting that Christchurch will be getting a Top Shop/Top Man in a years time yet absolutely no sign still of ever opening in a city 3 times the size
We will sort of be getting Topshop/Topman when it opens within Myer early next year, although I can't decide whether that helps or hinders the possibility of a standalone storefront in Adelaide anytime soon.
It will hinder any hope of us getting a standalone store which sucks because the range Myer will no doubt offer will be VERY limited.

Christchurch are getting a lot of things as part of the city rebuild and because they're the second most populous centre in NZ they're more likely to get a lot of things over Adelaide.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#1683 Post by ml69 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:00 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:Christchurch are getting a lot of things as part of the city rebuild and because they're the second most populous centre in NZ they're more likely to get a lot of things over Adelaide.
Please explain what you mean, because your comment makes no sense to me.

International retail empires like Top Shop don't decide to set up in cities because they are rebuilding, but rather where they think they can make money. Also, despite Christchurch being the second largest city in NZ, it's still only one-third of Adelaide's population.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1684 Post by crawf » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:18 pm

The biggest problem for us, like all cities

The lack of suitable large spaces. I'm really surprised neither ACP or Rundle Place did not consider this

Nathan

#1685 Post by Nathan » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:39 pm

crawf wrote:The biggest problem for us, like all cities

The lack of suitable large spaces. I'm really surprised neither ACP or Rundle Place did not consider this
I guess Rundle Place did, the large tenancy was taken by Apple.

ACP could have easily consolidated the spaces on one side of the entrance, along with the severely underused spaces above, with their recent upgrades. I'm really surprised they didn't.

Patrick_27

#1686 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:55 pm

ml69 wrote:
Patrick_27 wrote:Christchurch are getting a lot of things as part of the city rebuild and because they're the second most populous centre in NZ they're more likely to get a lot of things over Adelaide.
Please explain what you mean, because your comment makes no sense to me.

International retail empires like Top Shop don't decide to set up in cities because they are rebuilding, but rather where they think they can make money. Also, despite Christchurch being the second largest city in NZ, it's still only one-third of Adelaide's population.
Fair enough, that didn't make much sense now that I read back on it.

From what I've read in the reports released by the rebuilt committee, part of the rebuild includes encouraging international business to establish themselves in Christchurch; whether that be in the corporate, hospitality or retail sector/s.

Granted but population seemingly never wins in this kind of decisions making; Christchurch hosts more international arena tours than Adelaide, so the same argument could be applied there. Towns like Wollongong, Newcastle and Gold Coast have a history of being preference for these kinds of things over Adelaide as well.
With Christchurch, you've also got to consider the fact that it's the largest centre on South Island which has a population of just over a million people and it's a tourism hot-spot.
Don't get me wrong, I think Adelaide should be prioritised for TopShop/TopMan over Christchurch, but unfortunately the powers that be don't feel the same way.

Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

#1687 Post by Splashmo » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:12 pm

Most of the H&Ms and Uniqlos I've been to have stores set over multiple levels. Is there anything like that available in Rundle Mall? Borders/Cotton On was the obvious one. I imagine it would require a bit of effort to get one in to somewhere like the Myer Centre or the David Jones arcade.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#1688 Post by Brucetiki » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:45 pm

Splashmo wrote:Most of the H&Ms and Uniqlos I've been to have stores set over multiple levels. Is there anything like that available in Rundle Mall? Borders/Cotton On was the obvious one. I imagine it would require a bit of effort to get one in to somewhere like the Myer Centre or the David Jones arcade.
Well the Myer Centre's had 2 empty floors for about 17 years ;) - not that I think either store would be happy with a tenancy that high up.

Mpol
High Rise Poster!

#1689 Post by Mpol » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:34 am

Calibre will (tentatively) open new store this Friday. It will look a treat!

The Scooter Guy

#1690 Post by The Scooter Guy » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:09 pm

The former Grenfell 110 is now having interior works undertaken.
I hope it'll be something new & exciting and possibly a 2016 Adelaide Fringe Official Venue.
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Patrick_27

#1691 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:37 pm

The Scooter Guy wrote:The former Grenfell 110 is now having interior works undertaken.
I hope it'll be something new & exciting and possibly a 2016 Adelaide Fringe Official Venue.
A new permanent live music venue couldn't hurt. Something like the new Fat Controller in the old Cavern Club.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1692 Post by Ben » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:53 am

So were not getting Uniqlo... but we are getting Miniso.... they look like a copy cat version. They are going in the 2nd level of Regent Arcade where Globalize used to be (guess the cinema plan is dead). Look like their first store in Australia. they are mainly in China which explains the copy cat version even their logo is almost the same.

http://minisohome.com/

Nathan

#1693 Post by Nathan » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:25 am

Really? A dollar store doused with trademark infringement is moving into one of the most prominent sites in the mall? A thought Rundle Mall was trying to up the calibre of stores.

The logo is only the start of it.
http://en.rocketnews24.com/2014/04/23/j ... -in-japan/
and http://my-new-life-in-asia.blogspot.com ... -muji.html

In summary: They pretend they're from Japan (they're not); they rip liberally from Uniqlo, Muji and Daiso; They claim to have stores in countries they don't; Their packaging is covered in garbled Japanese that doesn't make any sense; And we've given them a prominent mall location complete with chandeliers.

Nathan

#1694 Post by Nathan » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:25 pm

I went past and saw the hoarding. The full logo is even more shameless. And incidentally, the katakana in the second square is wrong (It reads as meisō not miniso), which tells you just how "Japanese" they really are...
IMG_3900.jpg
IMG_3900.jpg (66.45 KiB) Viewed 2373 times

metro
Legendary Member!

#1695 Post by metro » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:14 pm

haha what next? M&H? :lol: