News & Discussion: CBD Retail

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#1711 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:31 pm

The Scooter Guy wrote:
pushbutton wrote:Seems like Levitz and Le Cornu must have had a similar arrangement to the one between Burger King and Hungry Jacks.

As with Le Cornu, the "parent" / original American company (in this case Burger King) doesn't use this logo anymore, yet the Australian business still does!

I'm surprised BK hasn't forced HJ to update to the current logo.
Burger_king_logo_2.png
New Zealand has BK operating too.
"Sometimes, you gotta break the rules"
Burger King can also be found in Surfer's Paradise.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#1712 Post by pushbutton » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:36 am

I go to Surfers Paradise about once a fortnight and I've never seen Burger King there!

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#1713 Post by Brucetiki » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:49 am

pushbutton wrote:I go to Surfers Paradise about once a fortnight and I've never seen Burger King there!
And you won't - All the 'Burger King' branded stores got rebadged as Hungry Jacks in 2003

ChillyPhilly

#1714 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:18 pm

Brucetiki wrote:
pushbutton wrote:I go to Surfers Paradise about once a fortnight and I've never seen Burger King there!
And you won't - All the 'Burger King' branded stores got rebadged as Hungry Jacks in 2003
I haven't been there since 2007, but there was definitely a BK. Unless it was a random sign sticking out like a sore thumb...
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#1715 Post by pushbutton » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:29 am

For a couple of years in the early 2000s there was a Burger King and a Hungry Jacks right next door to each other in Melbourne airport!

I have since been a manager at Hungry Jacks so I know the reason for this.

An Australian guy called Jack Cowin wanted to get the master franchise for Burger King in Australia, but they couldn't register the business name because at the time there was another business called Burger King somewhere in Australia.

So Jack suggested to Burger King that he call it Hungry Jacks, they accepted, and that's how it's been!

The business name has become available in Australia since then, and Burger King requested HJ to re-brand in the mid 1990s.

However Jack felt that by then, Australians had become too used to the name "Hungry Jacks" and wouldn't embrace a change of name so he refused.

Burger King then took Hungry Jacks to court for breaching their franchise agreement, but Burger King lost the battle.

That's when Burger King decided to open their own corporate restaurants in Australia, in the hope of either persuading Jack to rebrand (and buy all the Burger King corporate stores, or force Hungry Jacks out of business!

They deliberately setup BK stores as close as possible to existing HJ stores for that reason.

Hungry Jacks subsequently took Burger King to court alleging unfair trading practices, and won.

Burger King ultimately realised they weren't going to win, and basically said to Jack "Have it your way"! (Pun intended. That's a long-running Burger King slogan), and sold the corporate stores to Hungry Jacks, who re-branded most of them and closed some that were too close to another HJ.

The relationship has been strained but cooperative since, but I dare say when Jack retires or dies, Burger King will try again to introduce their brand here!
Last edited by pushbutton on Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#1716 Post by Goodsy » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:51 am

I'm pretty sure Burger King is allowed to operate under the BK name in duty free area

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1717 Post by Ben » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:07 pm

So back to ADELAIDE retail...

The Scooter Guy

#1718 Post by The Scooter Guy » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:38 pm

Rural Bank on Grenfell St is now up For Lease. Not sure if it might be relocating to somewhere else.
But those periodic bus lanes are to still blame for punching Sony Centre and Spurling Formal Wear straight in the face! :evil:
In just a few years, both Grenfell & King William St will become nothing but one single vacant lot unless the transport authorities get their act together somehow.
Grenfell St is only two lanes on each carriageway and so is King William St (excluding the tram lane).
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1719 Post by Norman » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:03 pm

The Scooter Guy wrote:Rural Bank on Grenfell St is now up For Lease. Not sure if it might be relocating to somewhere else.
But those periodic bus lanes are to still blame for punching Sony Centre and Spurling Formal Wear straight in the face! :evil:
In just a few years, both Grenfell & King William St will become nothing but one single vacant lot unless the transport authorities get their act together somehow.
Grenfell St is only two lanes on each carriageway and so is King William St (excluding the tram lane).
???

Anyway, I think that the floors above Rural Bank are the ones up for lease.

Nathan

#1720 Post by Nathan » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:20 pm

The Scooter Guy wrote:Rural Bank on Grenfell St is now up For Lease. Not sure if it might be relocating to somewhere else.
The Sony store died years ago, long before the bus lanes.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1721 Post by monotonehell » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:53 am

The Scooter Guy wrote:...But those periodic bus lanes are to still blame for punching Sony Centre and Spurling Formal Wear straight in the face! :evil:
The bus lanes has had nothing to do with anything except annoying motorists.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1722 Post by Ben » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:27 pm

Tarocash opened in the former Zamels today.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1723 Post by monotonehell » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:31 pm

Ben wrote:Tarocash opened in the former Zamels today.
The refit/refresh musical chairs continues. :)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Nathan

#1724 Post by Nathan » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:39 pm

monotonehell wrote:
Ben wrote:Tarocash opened in the former Zamels today.
The refit/refresh musical chairs continues. :)
And while the music is playing, we have yet another Read E Book seat warmer in the mall (two now!)

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1725 Post by Ben » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:00 am

Seafolly opened their first SA store today in the former Calibre site on Rundle Street.