[COM] Ernst & Young Tower | 51m | 13lvls | Office

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: U/C - City Central Tower 2 - 50.8m

#226 Post by omada » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:47 pm

Matt said:
This building is only marginally better than the old Advertiser building, and only because it's new.
You have got to be kidding, only "marginally better", its got a 5 star energy rating! A building's value lies beyond just looks alone.. and anyway I think it looks pretty good, ok I agree it's certainly not a stunner, but its modern, and I don't really think it will date badly, as it has a rather minimalist look (apart from the pods)..

Matt
Legendary Member!

#227 Post by Matt » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:11 pm

The comment you quoted was "eyesore", which was about the building's appearance.
I haven't mentioned anything about it's function, features, etc.

It's probably stunning inside, as are most of the new buildings around the place, and I don't dispute it's green rating.

My point is that a building in a prime position like that could and should have been a lot more architecturally creative and a lot more attractive from the exterior.
Instead, it's a fugly glass greenhouse box and looks like someone's forgotten to take down the scaffolding.

I'm all for efforts to make these buildings sustainable and environmentally friendly, but just think there should be more effort in merging this with more of a focus on appearance, particularly for buildings of prominence.

Form vs function... blah blah blah.

frank1
Donating Member
Donating Member

#228 Post by frank1 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:51 pm

Does the green glass and scaffolding appearance have anything to do with the green star rating? Maybe more architecturally appealing buildings won't be as environmentally friendly?

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#229 Post by UrbanSG » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:11 pm

Yes Matt on the Currie Street tower as well. Low reflection solar 'e' glass. All the rage now. It is highly likely this glass would also be see-thru in appearance. The tint of the glass can make a slight diffrence but basically we are stuck with the see-thru look. I believe developers should colour the blinds darker to compensate for this see-thru glass. White blinds and see-thru glass = a poor appearance.

Yes, CC2 will have an active street frontage, cafes etc, you can start to see it now. The previous building had awful blank walls instead. Another big improvement for this prime position.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#230 Post by jk1237 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:36 pm

Well I love all the city central towers. They're modern, simple and stylish, and I especially like the see-thru effect, compared to the black stump on Grenfell st

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#231 Post by AG » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:44 pm

Some of you seem to forget that function is just as, if not, more important than the form of the building. The market forces and engineering capabilities would largely dictate how the building is designed, rather than how it appears. It is a bonus if an economically feasible architectural masterpiece can be created though.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#232 Post by Omicron » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:40 am

Those f'ing blinds on CC1!

The Seagram Building in New York City pioneered the 3-stage blinds - fully open, half open or fully closed, back in 1958. It does make a hell of a difference.

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#233 Post by UrbanSG » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:05 pm

Quick pic from today with the crane almost gone, a bit of a preview of a part of the ground floor which could be a highlight of this building given its prime location.

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#234 Post by UrbanSG » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:28 pm

CC1 and CC2 today. Sometimes these building look great in a certain light and then they look really crap at other times. I will say it again I hate the blinds in CC1. Starting to think these two, especially CC1, will date very quickly as others have suggested. Temp crane was lifting some items for CC2.

Omicron

#235 Post by Omicron » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:07 pm

They look best to me when the light appears to reflect off of the glass rather than looking straight through it. The eastern windows of CC1 and the pods of CC2 in that photo look much better than the messy southern ones, simply because you can't see any of the desks, pencils, people, bookshelves, cupboards and hideous blinds.

skyliner

#236 Post by skyliner » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:30 pm

Omicron wrote:They look best to me when the light appears to reflect off of the glass rather than looking straight through it. The eastern windows of CC1 and the pods of CC2 in that photo look much better than the messy southern ones, simply because you can't see any of the desks, pencils, people, bookshelves, cupboards and hideous blinds.
Exactly. I hate the southern pods - they look like afterthoughts to satiaste some designer somewhere. I'm glad that some will disappear from sight from Vic Sq.. when further developments take place. Then again, I might be overreacting as I am particularly desirous and sensitive to the need of exemplary architecture that does not date. (for an exemplary city - no less). We all know what the dated look does , IMO, through looking at the SGIC bldg.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#237 Post by Ben » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:35 am

This entire building was lit up on the inside over the weekend and looked amazing. Wish i had of got a photo. Hopefully this will remain until it is finished which looks like it can't be too far away now.

Will409
Legendary Member!

#238 Post by Will409 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:58 pm

I went passed CC2 on the tram to and from Glenelg today and it looks as if they are about to remove the covered walk way on King William Street finally. The exterior of the building looks complete to me (but since buildings are not in my field exactly), I may be wrong. When set as a backdrop with Pirie Street tramstop and a Flexi, it makes Adelaide look almost insanely modern in a way.
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#239 Post by AG » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:12 am

Second tower in high demand
RUSSELL EMMERSON, REAL ESTATE EDITOR
December 03, 2007 12:00am
WAYMOUTH St's next office tower has almost been spoken for - months before completion.

City Central Tower Two developer Aspen Group says they are negotiating leases for the remaining three floors of the building.

Ernst & Young have been confirmed as major tenants, and the ANZ has previously reported its intention to establish their "flagship" branch at street level.

Leasing manager Ben Yates would only identify Ernst & Young as a tenant, but was pleased with leasing results.

"It indicates tenants are recognising the unique location of Tower Two on King William St," he said.

"It really is an iconic site. I can't see another office building being built on King William in the future."

Commercial agent Savills said the quick turnaround was a good result, but also a sign of a very tight market. In terms of space in this town, it is a good result for them ," managing director Rino Carpinelli said.

"There is a flight to quality space at the moment, particularly government departments and private firms. In our marketplace right now, there are a number of highly-sized future requirements . . . Publicly listed and private companies are looking or will be looking for space in the next 12 to 18 months."

The Aspen Group will now turn to the next element of the City Central project - the site of the old Criterion Hotel on King William St.

"Our vision is to create something unique in Adelaide which will add vibrancy to that site," Mr Yates said.

"The Criterion was a destination pub for people in the area for some time, so I think they are looking forward to us (completing it). Our commitment is to have that finished by the end of next year."

The building will be officially opened in February.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#240 Post by Norman » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:24 am

Pics...
Attachments
P9240470.JPG
P9240470.JPG (390.15 KiB) Viewed 2059 times
P9240469.JPG
P9240469.JPG (412.5 KiB) Viewed 2059 times