News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: New OBahn artic?

#286 Post by monotonehell » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:01 pm

jk1237 wrote:
muzzamo wrote:I saw a new artic on currie st last week. It was similar to the new artics that southlink use down south, but it had guide wheels and double doors
yeah I also get confused caus I think its new, but the one you saw is the one that has been in service for a couple of years now. Aparently its too shaky which is why there is only 1
I've ridden that on the OBahn, 2012 isn't it? or 2016... I'm not a trainspotter so I don't remember. It didn't seem too shaky, but maybe it's a mechanical shake that can only be detected by engineers that indicates the whole thing will disintegrate after 20 hours running ?

Either way it seemed an okay ride.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#287 Post by Hooligan » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:30 pm

The new fleet will be the same body (well, it will look the same to the naked eye) but a new chassis.

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

The Scooter Guy
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#288 Post by The Scooter Guy » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:13 am

monotonehell wrote:I've ridden that on the OBahn, 2012 isn't it? or 2016... I'm not a trainspotter so I don't remember. It didn't seem too shaky, but maybe it's a mechanical shake that can only be detected by engineers that indicates the whole thing will disintegrate after 20 hours running ? Either way it seemed an okay ride.
It is 1015. I've been on it a few times! The following numbers are 1016, 1017, 1018, 1019, 1020 and the list goes on...
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

The Scooter Guy

#289 Post by The Scooter Guy » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:25 pm

I wish the older buses (the mercs) had their engines reconditioned and their wheels replaced as they are likely to disintegrate soon! :(
Keep in mind that some of the MAN artics used to run on the O-Bahn until the late 90's. In 2005, 4 of these artics (1941, 1943, 1947 & 1948) also ran on the O-Bahn:
Attachments
CIMG2533copy.jpg
CIMG2533copy.jpg (395.27 KiB) Viewed 2728 times
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#Article: Adelaide's worst bus routes revealed

#290 Post by fabricator » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:37 am

And the winner of worst bus route for late/missed/early trips in 2008/2009 is..

*drum roll*

J1 - Elizabeth to Glenelg

second goes to:
M44 - Marion to Golden Grove

Third goes to:
721 - Noarlunga to City

Nice thumbs up to long distance bus routes, and the OBahn itself. :applause:

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 01,00.html
IT'S one of Adelaide's longest bus routes and one of its busiest, but the J1 has also earned the title of the city's most unreliable.

A Sunday Mail review of Adelaide's tardiest bus services has found the J1 - which winds its way 53km from Elizabeth to Glenelg - was delayed more times last financial year than any of Adelaide's 262 privately operated bus services.

Download a list of South Australia's worst bus routes

Commuters on the Torrens Transit-operated J1 route were left waiting 374 times - an average of at least once every day - because of timetable problems and roadworks, the investigation has found.

In March alone, J1 services were late 138 times, partly because of traffic detours for the Clipsal 500.

The State Government has revealed Adelaide's bus and train operators were fined more than $1 million for late, cancelled or early services in the past two financial years.

The Sunday Mail has combed through hundreds of late-running reports filed by bus contractors Torrens Transit, SouthLink and Transit Plus to determine Adelaide's worst-performing routes.

The J1 came well ahead of the next tardiest route, the M44 from Golden Grove to Marion, which had 281 services delayed, while the SouthLink-operated 721 service between Noarlunga and the city recorded 267 late, missed or early trips.

Torrens Transit managing director Neil Smith conceded the J1 service, which travels via the city en route to the airport and Harbour Town, was not up to scratch.

He said "quite significant" delays were caused by a change in traffic light sequencing at the entrance to Harbour Town on Tapleys Hill Rd, which was holding up buses.

"We will be talking to the PTD (Passenger Transport Division) about getting that timetable adjusted," he said.

"The other thing that can create difficulty for us is . . . the number of people who board at the airport is highly variable and many are new to Adelaide.

"So time delays at the airport can be excessive and we have to adjust our timetables . . . that's something we'll try to get through in the new year."

Mr Smith said traffic congestion in the city was also a problem, particularly with buses in Currie and Grenfell streets during the afternoon peaks.

"There is bus congestion in Currie/Grenfell streets that's probably outside the realm of what anyone would be happy with," he said.

Among other bus services experiencing a high number of delays were the 106, which runs from Magill to the city, the 228 from Smithfield to the city and the 863 from Aldgate to the city.

Bus operators and train operator TransAdelaide must pay compensation to the Government for any late, cancelled or early trips that they could have prevented.

Transport Minister Patrick Conlon said $489,473 was collected last financial year compared to $578,844 collected in 2007/2008. "This is an excellent result but there's still more work to be done," he said.

"We're spending more than ever revitalising our public transport system and through very strong working relationships with our contractors, we are starting to see results. I am certain as our record $2.5 billion investment in upgrading rail, purchasing new trains, trams and buses continues, the efficiency and reliability of our system will improve even further."
Map and details of the worst bus routes.
http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/files/busr.pdf

See I told you all, the J1 is the pits.
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: #Article: Adelaide's worst bus routes revealed

#291 Post by monotonehell » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:49 am

What's the late services got to do with the O'bahn? The O'Bahn part of the J1 is the only bit that tends to run on time. The J buses can be quite late leaving Adelaide, but make up time once they get on the O'bahn.

The main reason J buses sometimes run late are because of the extended length of the route allows more opportunities for delays to work their way in. The run from Glenelg to the Airport is normally good, the main delays occur between Harbourtown and the Airport, along SDB drive and the Currie/Grenfell/Hackney section during peak periods.

Also if a non-articulated bus is put on, delays with boarding and alighting are caused due to the passengers being packed in like sardines.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#292 Post by Hooligan » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:46 pm

You have to see Mono, If the O bahn was a railway it would be 105.7456333333% more reliable.

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

ChrisRT
Gold-Member ;)

#293 Post by ChrisRT » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:35 pm

I think you'll find that number is 105.7456333334% Hooligan.

Seriously though, no point in dreaming about how much better O-bahn would be as rail; heavy, light or otherwise.

Ain't going to happen my friend. It's not worth the cost and NIMBY's around St. Peters area would have one hell of a dummy spit to boot.

Would also do a lot of damage to Linear park which has become one of our premier 'greenways' over the past 2 decades.

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#294 Post by fabricator » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:55 pm

Yeah they are not using the OBahn as it was designed, and it wasn't designed to function as a short cut so you can run buses even longer distances to form cross city routes. The 721 used to be a country bus route, hence why it travels such long distances.

Omicron

#295 Post by Omicron » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:43 pm

News just in - popular bus routes over long distances with many stops are more likely to be late! Tomorrow's headline: short bus routes with fewer stops and less passengers are more likely to be on time.

Will the revelations never end?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#296 Post by Norman » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:38 pm

The same story is going to be repeated every 2-3 months or so. It's in the "Slow News Action" pile.

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#297 Post by fabricator » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:29 am

At least they had to do some research for this article, though the map shows the 721 running to Seaford instead of Noarlunga.
Still typical Advertiser, can't even use it as :toilet:

Aidan

#298 Post by Aidan » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:46 pm

fabricator wrote:Yeah they are not using the OBahn as it was designed, and it wasn't designed to function as a short cut so you can run buses even longer distances to form cross city routes. The 721 used to be a country bus route, hence why it travels such long distances.
When was the 721 a country bus route? Certainly not in the last 21 years!
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Xaragmata

#299 Post by Xaragmata » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:58 am

The M44 was probably late again on Monday, along with other West-bound services diverted via Frome Rd, Victoria Drv & Kintore Ave due to stop T2 being a crime scene:

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#300 Post by fabricator » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:15 pm

Story for above accident here:
http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 82,00.html

I expect the stop will be closed afterwards too while the sign is replaced.