News & Discussion: National Broadband Network

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Dog
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: National Broadband Network

#436 Post by Dog » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:09 pm

I believe we were promised by the Libs a 25 megabit/ second NBN to the home by 2016 before the election
Apparently now after the election this "highly unachievable" by 2016 as promised and will cost us $12bn more.

Now $41bn and we will still be up for $5bn a year to maintain the copper and that's with out Telstra charging us to use it.

And to speed thing up they will be laying staff off at NBN co! Go figure?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vee
Legendary Member!

#437 Post by Vee » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:30 pm

Today's announcement by Malcolm Turnbull on the vastly inferior version of the "NBN" the Coalition will deliver and the timeframe, now out to 2020, is really, really depressing. Australia has been conned and this will have a serious impact on innovation and our ability to participate in the global economy.

Delimiter published this piece by Renai LeMay today.
Here is an extract from the article. Read the full piece - see link below.
I was wrong to have faith in Malcolm Turnbull and the Coalition on this issue. You were all right, and I was wrong. Turnbull does indeed appear to be attempting to “demolish” the NBN.

...Turnbull .. explained how they would construct less of the NBN even than the Coalition promised in April. Those areas currently “served” (as laughable as that term is to many who live there) by the HFC cable footprint, it now appears, will get no upgrade at all. Many will doubtless still be on ADSL2+ when the Coalition’s “NBN” is completed.

Turnbull’s cost projection promises, his rollout speed promises, his technology choice promises; even his promises that the NBN Co Strategic Review would not be run by consultants; virtually all of his promises about the NBN were this morning flagrantly broken, and there were no answers to so many of the questions which the non-subservient elements of the media (those of us that are left) have about the NBN.

We cannot call this a “National Broadband Network” any more. That term is fundamentally redundant, when around 28 percent of Australian premises will not receive the infrastructure, and most of the rest will receive a watered down version highly dependent on Telstra’s copper network, which, as NBN Co’s internal reports show, has a plethora of issues. To do so would be farcical, as this morning’s entire press conference was farcical.
http://delimiter.com.au/2013/12/12/plea ... -turnbull/

Vee
Legendary Member!

#438 Post by Vee » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:18 pm

Coalition’s new NBN: one in three Australian premises will miss out
'They are selling us a technology that’s already obsolete - this is the greatest con in Australian history,' critic claims.
Almost one in three Australian premises will miss out on pure fibre internet connections under the Coalition’s new NBN policy.

The strategic review, announced today, effectively cancels the NBN rollout for almost a third of the country, with those in areas already served by hybrid fibre-coaxial (HFC) networks receiving upgrades to that network but no new fibre-optic connections.

HFC networks carry data for cable TV signals as well as voice calling and internet data, and according to the review approximately 2.7m premises are already passed by Telstra and Optus’s networks, with another 700,000 premises within the geographic area.

HFC connections can struggle to deliver high speeds consistently for users at busy periods, because they become congested as more people log on.
Read the rest here:
The Guardian
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2 ... MP=soc_568

Dog
High Rise Poster!

News & Discussion: National Broadband Network

#439 Post by Dog » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:59 pm

I remember reading the NBN was considered a major business threat to Murdoch's Foxtel ?
Looks like someone's a winner.!

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#440 Post by fabricator » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:25 pm

And to think I was supposed to get FTTH sometime next year, I swear if it doesn't go ahead I'm going to live in a cave.
Won't be long before everything in this country is overpriced or garbage. It's like one of those super markets in Russia, where people queue for hours for some item without knowing what it actually is.

Maybe if I take a wheelbarrow full of money to NBNco I can actually get fibre run into my house.
I swear the next Liberal support I see is getting pushed into the nearest river, 'cause if they want to live in the 1850's they can darn well smell like it.
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.

drsmith
Legendary Member!

#441 Post by drsmith » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:39 pm

Dog wrote:Image

I believe we were promised by the Libs a 25 megabit/ second NBN to the home by 2016 before the election
Apparently now after the election this "highly unachievable" by 2016 as promised and will cost us $12bn more.

Now $41bn and we will still be up for $5bn a year to maintain the copper and that's with out Telstra charging us to use it.

And to speed thing up they will be laying staff off at NBN co! Go figure?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
How much extra was Labor's FTTP going to cost and how much longer was that going to take to roll out ?

It's all in tonight's light bedtime reading.

http://www.nbnco.com.au/content/dam/nbn ... Report.pdf

rubberman
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#442 Post by rubberman » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:02 am

By my reading of the report on p 100 Doc, the Coalition plan will not be complete till 2030...much later than the FTTP.

The Coalition plan ignores UPLOAD speeds...effectively making many applications unworkable.

The FTTP option is five billion more by 2030. However, the maintenance of the Telstra copper is running at one billion per year, and when you factor that in......the Coalition plan appears to be much more expensive, much slower to roll out, and inferior in quality.

The deliberate non-mentioning of the Telstra copper or upload speeds is outright dishonesty.

So, in summary: We have a broken promise which will deliver an inferior product for greater cost over a larger time scale at a time when due to the collapse of the car industry we should be looking at providing opportunities for hi tech substitutes for that industry. Wow.

PS the Telstra copper maintenance cost might be there, but given the size of it, you'd think they would say so.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#443 Post by monotonehell » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:31 am

rubberman wrote:PS the Telstra copper maintenance cost might be there, but given the size of it, you'd think they would say so.
I only had 5 minutes to read the exec summary. I'll come back to the entire report later, but I suspect the costs of copper maintenance is hidden under one of those black censor bars.

Looking at their summary table, the reworked FTTP (option 2) is a better option. Only expected to take one more year, better service, better coverage. The other plans are not worth spending around the same mount of money on, when all we'll get is what commercial interests would manage to roll out on their own in only one third of premises.

Turnbull can't even properly analyse his own report.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#444 Post by Vee » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:15 am

Respected technology expert, Sortius is a geek comments on the newly released Turnbull broadband review - his plan for Australia. Looks like Murdoch and Telstra will be the big winners. $$$$ Bad luck if your suburb is already served by HFC.
Timeframe blown out. Ageing copper maintenance $$??? Revenue?

Game Over Man, Game Over
http://www.sortius-is-a-geek.com/game-man-game/

HFC is useless now!!!
Why the HFC is no NBN alternative: A sob story (ZDnet)

http://www.zdnet.com/au/why-the-hfc-is- ... 000006043/

If interested ...
Meanwhile, the original strategic review, prepared by the PBO for the incoming Abbott government, was released today by the Shadow Minister.
http://bit.ly/1aXaiCV

Now, the Turnbull plan is even worse with rubbishy HFC in the mix for many (30%) Australians and the timeframe has blown out. The NBN high speed network - cities and regions - is vital 21st century infrastructure. This latest version sells us out.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#445 Post by Vee » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:19 am

One more on HFC ...
HFC suburbs - No Man's NBN land
A third of Australia will be left to rot on struggling cable broadband networks after the Coalition further downscaled the national fibre network.
The Age
http://www.theage.com.au/digital-life/c ... 2zb99.html

Aidan

#446 Post by Aidan » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:55 am

Unfortunately so much of the report has been redacted that it's beyond my ability to assess its veracity.

Aaaaaagh! Why am I posting in reportspeak??? Have I stared into the abyss for too long?

To me the decision to use HFC where it already exists looks sensible, as unlike FTTN it is cheap and fairly fast, and it can always be replaced by FTTP later. It's the extrordinarilly high levels of FTTN they propose that worry me.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Waewick

#447 Post by Waewick » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:22 pm

do all these numbers reflect that many people don't use internet at home/wired?

drsmith
Legendary Member!

#448 Post by drsmith » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:20 pm

rubberman wrote:By my reading of the report on p 100 Doc, the Coalition plan will not be complete till 2030...much later than the FTTP.

The Coalition plan ignores UPLOAD speeds...effectively making many applications unworkable.

The FTTP option is five billion more by 2030. However, the maintenance of the Telstra copper is running at one billion per year, and when you factor that in......the Coalition plan appears to be much more expensive, much slower to roll out, and inferior in quality.

The deliberate non-mentioning of the Telstra copper or upload speeds is outright dishonesty.

So, in summary: We have a broken promise which will deliver an inferior product for greater cost over a larger time scale at a time when due to the collapse of the car industry we should be looking at providing opportunities for hi tech substitutes for that industry. Wow.

PS the Telstra copper maintenance cost might be there, but given the size of it, you'd think they would say so.
The Libs have clearly broken their 2016 25mbps commitment from Opposition, but what Labor left us with broadband after 6-years in office was a vision that under their administration became a financial disaster.

Clearly, neither side can cover themselves in glory here, but Labor's sin is worse in my view. Their vision certainly had appeal and arguably merit, but their delivery was a failure.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#449 Post by monotonehell » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:46 pm

drsmith wrote:...Clearly, neither side can cover themselves in glory here, but Labor's sin is worse in my view. Their vision certainly had appeal and arguably merit, but their delivery was a failure.
I agree that neither side can cover themselves in glory, but which one of these is the sin?
1. Attempting to do something nation-building, being somewhat incompetent, hitting hurdles, not achieving goals, going over budget, but still moving forward.
2. Putting forward a plan that is not technically feasible, lying through your arse about outcomes of said plan, fudging the figures so said plan looks okay, conspiring with your mates in other organisations to betray the taxpayer, constantly moving the goalposts, going back on promises, continuing to lie about merits of said plan despite all the evidence to the contrary, ordering a review and promising to release the findings but blacking out the important bits about buying copper and HTC networks from entities who are about to scrap them, and blacking out the bits about ongoing maintenance costs.

If the problem was that Labor mismanaged the project, then manage the project. Simon Hackett showed a way forward, he pointed out where costs could be saved. Instead of spending billions on an outcome, Abbott and Turnbull are proposing to spend almost as many billions on no progress. Their outcome is basically where we are already today with zero dollars outlay. How is that a good thing?
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

drsmith
Legendary Member!

#450 Post by drsmith » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:17 am

monotonehell wrote: I agree that neither side can cover themselves in glory, but which one of these is the sin?
1. Attempting to do something nation-building, being somewhat incompetent, hitting hurdles, not achieving goals, going over budget, but still moving forward.
2. Putting forward a plan that is not technically feasible, lying through your arse about outcomes of said plan, fudging the figures so said plan looks okay, conspiring with your mates in other organisations to betray the taxpayer, constantly moving the goalposts, going back on promises, continuing to lie about merits of said plan despite all the evidence to the contrary, ordering a review and promising to release the findings but blacking out the important bits about buying copper and HTC networks from entities who are about to scrap them, and blacking out the bits about ongoing maintenance costs.
What you're effectively saying is that the political sins of one side are excusable whereas the other is not. That would be OK if both sides didn't have to operate in the same overall political environment and money was no object.

As for Simon Hackett, it would be interesting to know to what extent this suggestions have been integrated into the optimised FTTP solution (scenario 2). The most interesting aspect of the Strategic Review is the extent to which FTTN has been reduced from the Coalition's original plan, both by 2016 and 2019. I would suggest the ultimate design of the current government's solution is still very much a work in progress.