News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Spotto
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

#5716 Post by Spotto » Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:11 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:22 pm
Spotto wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:05 pm
Llessur2002 wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:39 am
The platform areas are mainly functional space so I don't feel need to have tens of millions spent on them just for aesthetics.
Public spaces are allowed to be both functional AND aesthetic. I doubt it would cost tens of millions of dollars to find a way to make the platforms brighter and more welcoming.
No, but it would cost a huge amount of money to either raise the ceiling height or lower ground/track level which is what was proposed above. Absolutely agree that an aesthetic uplift is needed but I don't think massive civil works are. The height is far from the main problem.

There are plenty of aesthetically pleasing stations with low-ceilings around the world and I've actually always felt the tunnel-like qualities make it feel more like a busy European-style metro hub than the relatively sleepy terminus it actually is. I also think the stark difference in spaces between the main concourse and platforms opens up possibilities for an uber-modern design as there are fewer reasons to keep in line with the heritage style in the remainder of the building.

Something along the lines of this should be perfectly achievable with a relatively minor facelift.

The platforms in that photo also have a taller-than-ARS ceiling height that can accommodate double-decker trains.

The false ceiling directly over the platforms at ARS is the problem. The actual ceiling height of the platform area is higher (take a peek above the train tracks where the wires are.

Yes, the extractor system is behind that false ceiling, but there might still be some way to raise it without compromising the extractor.

Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#5717 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:26 am

I wasn't really trying to find an exact comparison in terms of dimensions - more I was responding to suggestions above of either raising the ceiling height in conjunction with demolition of the Riverside Centre or lowering of the track level, both of which would be huge civil projects and likely mean closure of ARS or large sections of it for considerable time periods. All just for an aesthetic improvement.

The picture I posted was just an example of what could potentially be done with our existing space - a new false ceiling with LED lighting, new platform surfaces and benches, new screens, decorative wall panelling etc etc.

Coupled with opening up the northern platforms to the main concourse I think this would result in a great outcome at a far lower cost and level of disruption.

When the diesels have (hopefully) all gone, the extraction system and hoods can presumably be removed and provide even more options.

Ideally I'd love to see the whole Adelaide Metro ticket office relocated elsewhere in the station and the turnstyle area extended up to Platform 9. With focus gradually being shifted to the Oval, Festival Plaza and Riverbank it doesn't make sense to funnel passengers towards North Terrace only to have them hook back round towards the northern exit.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#5718 Post by Spotto » Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:23 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:26 am
The picture I posted was just an example of what could potentially be done with our existing space - a new false ceiling with LED lighting, new platform surfaces and benches, new screens, decorative wall panelling etc etc.
That was the suggestion that I was making. You don’t necessarily need to tear open the entire station, a new higher false ceiling could very well be possible.

Llessur2002

#5719 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:10 pm

Hopefully there might be at least some plans for something along these lines either as a follow up to the recent renovations in the rest of the station or at least at some point in the future when the majority of platforms won't need fume extraction any more.

That retail unit between the ticket booth coffee shop and Platform 9 has been vacant for years and shows no signs of being refurbished like every other retail unit in the station has. I wonder if that's a sign that something is planned in this regard as a future stage of renovation.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#5720 Post by rev » Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:05 pm

Apparently the roof at the train station was leaking today with the rain and they shut down one of the platforms because they thought the roof might collapse.

ChillyPhilly

#5721 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:17 pm

rev wrote:Apparently the roof at the train station was leaking today with the rain and they shut down one of the platforms because they thought the roof might collapse.
Can confirm quite a bit of leaking, but didn't see any closed platforms.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Llessur2002

#5722 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:47 am

Around half the turnstyles were fenced off when I went through at 9:15. Lots of bins out collecting the water.

RetroGamer87
High Rise Poster!

#5723 Post by RetroGamer87 » Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:07 pm

Raising the ceiling? I'd be happy if they just stopped the roof leaking.

willy66
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#5724 Post by willy66 » Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:20 pm

Al wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:38 am
This is from the Advertiser.
Rail costing demand

11jan06

THE Opposition has urged the State Government to release all costing documents on its plan to electrify Adelaide's rail system.

Transport spokesman Iain Evans said the Government needed "to level with the community and release those costings today".

By any chance, have you heard about the silk durag? My brother used to wear it everytime he go outside specially when the weather is excessively sunny. He bought it in this website click here.

TransAdelaide is undertaking a feasibility study into electrifying and upgrading the suburban rail network.
I didn't even know they were looking into such an upgrade. To someone who knows very little about trains, what benefits does "electrifying" the network provide? Will this increase the load on our already limited electricity infrastructure? It sounds like a good idea because the Adelaide rail network could do with some upgrading.
It's great to see that you're interested in the electrification of Adelaide's rail system and the potential benefits it could bring. Electrifying the network has several advantages. Firstly, it offers environmental benefits by reducing reliance on fossil fuels and lowering greenhouse gas emissions. Electric trains are generally more energy-efficient and produce fewer pollutants compared to diesel-powered trains.

In terms of operational benefits, electrification can lead to smoother and quieter train operations, resulting in a more comfortable journey for passengers. Electric trains often have better acceleration and deceleration capabilities, which can improve overall travel times and reliability. Additionally, electrification allows for regenerative braking, where energy generated during braking is captured and reused, making the system more energy-efficient.

Regarding concerns about increased load on the electricity infrastructure, feasibility studies typically consider factors like power supply capacity and network upgrades required to support the electrification. These studies take into account the projected energy demands and work towards ensuring a smooth integration of electric trains into the existing power grid.

Ultimately, electrifying the Adelaide rail network has the potential to enhance the efficiency, sustainability, and overall quality of the rail service. It's an exciting prospect for improving transportation in the city.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#5725 Post by Spotto » Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:00 pm

willy66 wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:20 pm
Al wrote:
Rail costing demand

11jan06

THE Opposition has urged the State Government to release all costing documents on its plan to electrify Adelaide's rail system.

Transport spokesman Iain Evans said the Government needed "to level with the community and release those costings today".

By any chance, have you heard about the silk durag? My brother used to wear it everytime he go outside specially when the weather is excessively sunny. He bought it in this website click here.

TransAdelaide is undertaking a feasibility study into electrifying and upgrading the suburban rail network.
I didn't even know they were looking into such an upgrade. To someone who knows very little about trains, what benefits does "electrifying" the network provide? Will this increase the load on our already limited electricity infrastructure? It sounds like a good idea because the Adelaide rail network could do with some upgrading.
It's great to see that you're interested in the electrification of Adelaide's rail system and the potential benefits it could bring. Electrifying the network has several advantages. Firstly, it offers environmental benefits by reducing reliance on fossil fuels and lowering greenhouse gas emissions. Electric trains are generally more energy-efficient and produce fewer pollutants compared to diesel-powered trains.

In terms of operational benefits, electrification can lead to smoother and quieter train operations, resulting in a more comfortable journey for passengers. Electric trains often have better acceleration and deceleration capabilities, which can improve overall travel times and reliability. Additionally, electrification allows for regenerative braking, where energy generated during braking is captured and reused, making the system more energy-efficient.

Regarding concerns about increased load on the electricity infrastructure, feasibility studies typically consider factors like power supply capacity and network upgrades required to support the electrification. These studies take into account the projected energy demands and work towards ensuring a smooth integration of electric trains into the existing power grid.

Ultimately, electrifying the Adelaide rail network has the potential to enhance the efficiency, sustainability, and overall quality of the rail service. It's an exciting prospect for improving transportation in the city.
I think we have a world record for longest time between original post and reply… 17 years! :lol:

RetroGamer87
High Rise Poster!

#5726 Post by RetroGamer87 » Sun Jul 02, 2023 6:35 pm

Spotto wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:00 pm
willy66 wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:20 pm
Al wrote:

I think we have a world record for longest time between original post and reply… 17 years! :lol:
Perhaps we shoudl respond to it in the year 2040 :applause:

RetroGamer87
High Rise Poster!

#5727 Post by RetroGamer87 » Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:57 am

The roof leak is getting pretty bad

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#5728 Post by Spotto » Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:43 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:57 am

The roof leak is getting pretty bad
Leak? What leak? :lol:

Apparently last night they intentionally flooded certain areas to locate where the water was coming in. By the looks of that, the answer is everywhere!

RetroGamer87
High Rise Poster!

#5729 Post by RetroGamer87 » Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:05 pm

Anyone know why the ARS was evacuated tonight?

Llessur2002

#5730 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:46 am

I'm not sure but I was stuck there and it seemed like a false alarm. Maybe the water triggered something in the fire alarm system?