Riverlea (Buckland Park) | 12,000 dwellings | $3b

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: #Proposed: Buckland Park Development

#61 Post by Wayno » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:54 pm

Cruise wrote: Don't you get my point? Not everyone works in the Fucking CBD!
agree - i'm certain a large % of residents will be non-office workers (tradespeople, etc) who will need to commute in directions not supported by PT.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#62 Post by AtD » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:10 pm

Cruise wrote:Its a self contained township, not everyone commutes to the cbd everyday, Unlike what many wannabe transport planners say.
That would make sense if there were any large industry out there. It's 20km from Elizabeth!

Wilfy 2007
High Rise Poster!

#63 Post by Wilfy 2007 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:39 pm

AtD wrote:
Cruise wrote:Its a self contained township, not everyone commutes to the cbd everyday, Unlike what many wannabe transport planners say.
That would make sense if there were any large industry out there. It's 20km from Elizabeth!
The trip to Elizabeth would not take long though would it.

Is there any likely hood of a Railcar service from Virginia to Adelaide do you think?

Regards,

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#64 Post by Norman » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:43 pm

Wilfy 2007 wrote:
AtD wrote:
The trip to Elizabeth would not take long though would it.

Is there any likely hood of a Railcar service from Virginia to Adelaide do you think?

Regards,
No. It's not feasible.

Wilfy 2007
High Rise Poster!

#65 Post by Wilfy 2007 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:47 pm

Norman wrote:
No. It's not feasible.
[/quote]
So that means previous Infastructure is no longer at Virginia, is this correct?

Regards

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#66 Post by AtD » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:04 pm

Wilfy 2007 wrote:The trip to Elizabeth would not take long though would it.
It's a matter of distance (ie direct cost), not time.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#67 Post by Norman » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:52 pm

Wilfy 2007 wrote:
Norman wrote:
No. It's not feasible.
So that means previous Infastructure is no longer at Virginia, is this correct?

Regards
It wouldn't be feasible to run trains (even diesel) to those townships because of the small amount of people living there.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#68 Post by AG » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:54 am

$2bn Buckland Park development will have 'no public transport'
JOANNA VAUGHAN, POLITICAL REPORTER
July 22, 2008 05:45pm
THE planned $2 billion Buckland Park development is likely to be approved without basic public transport infrastructure, the Greens claim.

Greens Mark Parnell yesterday questioned why the proposed 15,000-home project between Virginia and Port Gawler would be built without promise of public transport infrastructure, forcing residents to rely on private cars to drive to neighbouring regions for essential facilities and employment.
The proposed Buckland Park township was declared a major project 12 months ago to bring it under the control of the State Government and to fast-track the development.

Responding to the question, Planning Minister Paul Holloway said Buckland Park had a significant advantage in that it is closer to the centre of Adelaide than a number of other developments.

"In relation to transport, it has an advantage; it is not far away from the current standard gauge line that goes to Virginia ... Obviously if there is a significant development in that area, it opens up some potential in the future," he said.

Mr Parnell said Mr Holloway's answer indicated the Rann Government was prepared to allow thousands of new homes to be built well away from basic public transport infrastructure, which was "absolute madness."

"The Buckland Park project is a massive "ghetto in waiting' as people attracted by relatively low land prices will be marooned by petrol prices set to soar over $2 a litre," he said.

"While Perth massively expands their rail network, and builds new suburbs around their new train stations, we plonk 15,000 new residents in the middle of nowhere and expect them to survive on their own."

The Buckland Park project was last week expanded from 8000 to 15,000 people.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#69 Post by AtD » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:18 pm

Greens fear northern housing 'ghetto'
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008 ... 311526.htm
Posted Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:18am AEST

New housing could become a 'ghetto', say Greens (ABC News: Gary Rivett)

The Greens say a housing development on Adelaide's northern outskirts is likely to be approved without public transport services.

Walker Corporation is proposing to use 1,300 hectares of land between Port Gawler and Virginia for housing for an estimated 15,000 people.

The South Australian Government says the site is not far from a rail line and closer to central Adelaide than other new housing developments.

Greens MP Mark Parnell fears the project will lack basic public transport.

"The Government says that they want more transit-oriented development yet when it comes to Buckland Park they're going to have a ghetto out on the outskirts, with no train line, no transit-oriented development at all. It's a ghetto in waiting," he said.

"This is a disaster. They're looking at low-income housing which is good, but dumping low-income families on the outskirts of Adelaide with no services will be seen in a few years' time to be a crime - when petrol's gone to $2 or $3 a litre it'll be regarded as very poor planning."
It's not something said very often, but I agree with the Greens on this one.

Jim
Donating Member
Donating Member

#70 Post by Jim » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:01 pm

The more I read on climate change the more I am convinced that we are now looking at the more the extreme of predicted impacts including rise in sea level. I am wondering at what point government or for that matter insurer’s step in to stop coastal and low lying projects. Or will my kids be paying for huge levy banks in 30 or 40 years.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#71 Post by Cruise » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:03 pm

So hang on, why does the CBD have crime then?

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#72 Post by Omicron » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:44 pm

Am I the only one to whom this development screams 'Monarto'? This sounds like a '70s urban planner's wet dream, and I for one don't like the idea of the poor souls stuck out there gasping for air amidst all that utopian pre-planned backslapping raining down on them.

It's rather chilly out on this limb, I must say.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#73 Post by monotonehell » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:23 am

Cruise wrote:So hang on, why does the CBD have crime then?
Because there's trains from Elizabeth and Marion... oops did I say that out loud? ;)
Omicron wrote:Am I the only one to whom this development screams 'Monarto'? This sounds like a '70s urban planner's wet dream, and I for one don't like the idea of the poor souls stuck out there gasping for air amidst all that utopian pre-planned backslapping raining down on them.

The connection hadn't occurred until you mentioned it. But then again Monarto was the Elizabeth of the 1970s. BUT in these times of (insert doom and gloom here) it doesn't make much sense to set up such a development with out transport to local and distant centres. It needs a decent PT link to Gawler, Elizabeth, Salisbury somehow. A spur from the Galwer line at Salisbury making use of the ARCT right of way to Virginia and then plough on through perhaps? I'll leave it up to you gunzels to dream it up though.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#74 Post by Omicron » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:57 am

monotonehell wrote:
Cruise wrote:So hang on, why does the CBD have crime then?
Because there's trains from Elizabeth and Marion... oops did I say that out loud? ;)
Omicron wrote:Am I the only one to whom this development screams 'Monarto'? This sounds like a '70s urban planner's wet dream, and I for one don't like the idea of the poor souls stuck out there gasping for air amidst all that utopian pre-planned backslapping raining down on them.

The connection hadn't occurred until you mentioned it. But then again Monarto was the Elizabeth of the 1970s. BUT in these times of (insert doom and gloom here) it doesn't make much sense to set up such a development with out transport to local and distant centres. It needs a decent PT link to Gawler, Elizabeth, Salisbury somehow. A spur from the Galwer line at Salisbury making use of the ARCT right of way to Virginia and then plough on through perhaps? I'll leave it up to you gunzels to dream it up though.
Stop encouraging them! I fail to see the point in building houses over there (*points*) for people who work over here (*points*). Vast tracts of the north are blanketed with barely-habitable dross but are practically on top of the prime commercial and industrial areas of Elizabeth and Salisbury. What we need is large-scale urban rejuvenation and redevelopment, just like the Playford Alive project covering much of Davoren Park and Smithfield Plains that seeks to introduce medium-density to previously-underutilised space and involves the wholescale renewal of dilapidated areas. If the lead of the City of Salisbury in water conservation is followed in this instance, there is no reason why such renewal efforts cannot be expanded across a wider network of existing suburbs.

It seems better sense to me to work within our existing public transport, business, community service and road network parameters and enhance them as needed, rather than start all over again miles away.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#75 Post by Norman » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:36 am

monotonehell wrote:Because there's trains from Elizabeth and Marion... oops did I say that out loud? ;)
Hey, you keep your Ice users at bay and we'll stop people throwing acid at each other :lol: