Toll Roads in Adelaide

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Edgar
Legendary Member!

Re: #Article:RAA calls for toll lanes to ease traffic congestion

#76 Post by Edgar » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:04 pm

What they are proposing sounds something like constructing a new lane(s) called the Toll Lanes (meaning pay to use), with uninterrupted dedicated traffic lane.

E.g. If you want to travel from north of South Rd to the southern area uninterrupted, pay and use the dedicated toll lane for a traffic hazard free ride.
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#77 Post by Edgar » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:05 pm

AG wrote:
Edgar wrote:It takes a lot in terms of road quality and purpose to implement toll system.

In Asian countries, the government sub-contract the development of these toll highways to private company, who then, build, run, and maintain these highways. In return, they are the ones who collect toll moneys from motorist who uses their highway system. Is it good? Yes, because private company are maintaining these highways to ensure it is in good condition and everything runs smoothly. After a period of time of break-even, it will closes its tolls and the highways are open to motorist for free.

It is a win-win situation, not sure about the toll highway system in Australia though.
There are already tolled freeways that exist in Australia (M7 Westlink in Sydney and the soon to be opened Eastlink in Melbourne) which are operated in the same way as you describe above that work very well, being delivered under Public-Private Partnerships. The one big difference though is that the new piece of infrastructure is operated and maintained by the consortium for a fixed period of time (usually as least 30 years) before ownership is passed back to the government.
Thanks for the clarification, I had thought they were PPP and should be run in the same way.
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#78 Post by muzzamo » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:43 pm

These lanes would possibly be open to public transport too.

As someone else mentioned, i just couldn't see the logistics of it working on south road. Its just too much of a mishy mashy road...

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#79 Post by monotonehell » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:54 pm

muzzamo wrote:These lanes would possibly be open to public transport too.

As someone else mentioned, i just couldn't see the logistics of it working on south road. Its just too much of a mishy mashy road...
Heh the only way they could add such a promise to South Road would be by building a trestle section above the existing road (is that the right term?). That will go down well with the Nimbys.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#80 Post by Omicron » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:58 pm

monotonehell wrote:

Heh the only way they could add such a promise to South Road would be by building a trestle section above the existing road (is that the right term?). That will go down well with the Nimbys.
The Embarcadero all over again!

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#81 Post by monotonehell » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:06 pm

Omicron wrote:
monotonehell wrote:

The Embarcadero all over again!
Are you referring to San Fran's Embarcadero? I like what they've done there since the earthquake. Or some other one? :?

Omicron

#82 Post by Omicron » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:16 pm

monotonehell wrote: Are you referring to San Fran's Embarcadero? I like what they've done there since the earthquake. Or some other one? :?
Yes! The last thing I want, let alone the NIMBYs, is an awful elevated road like that one was. The waterfront redevelopment since then, as you say, is very good.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#83 Post by monotonehell » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:21 pm

Omicron wrote:
monotonehell wrote: Are you referring to San Fran's Embarcadero? I like what they've done there since the earthquake. Or some other one? :?
Yes! The last thing I want, let alone the NIMBYs, is an awful elevated road like that one was. The waterfront redevelopment since then, as you say, is very good.
I rather like San Fran, it's one of the few cities in the World where I felt I could live (other than Adelaide).

Omicron

#84 Post by Omicron » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:34 pm

monotonehell wrote:
Omicron wrote:
I rather like San Fran, it's one of the few cities in the World where I felt I could live (other than Adelaide).
I've always thought the same; it seems like a very lively and appealing place.

ReallyBad
High Rise Poster!

#85 Post by ReallyBad » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:18 pm

I can't believe it, I am amazed, overwhelmed, stuck for words - The Advertiser got it wrong...
Toll Roads: RAA position
21-Feb-2008

Letter to Editor
(submitted to The Advertiser on Thursday 21 February 2008)

"The RAA finds it disturbing that the page one article in today’s paper titled “Toll Time” contains a number of blatantly wrong statements with regards to the RAA’s position on toll roads.

Readers should be aware that despite a number of phone calls yesterday with The Advertiser, the RAA considers the content of the published article to be mischievous and highly unprofessional and does not accurately reflect the RAA’s position on tolls.

The RAA is not calling for the introduction or consideration of toll lanes, nor does it offer unqualified support for toll roads generally. The RAA has long held that South Australian motorists more than pay their way already and deserve to have a well maintained and efficient road network without having to pay additional taxes, fees or levies.

RAA members are supportive of an upgraded South Road in order to significantly decrease their overall travel times, however, this does not extend to the imposition of a toll.

RAA agrees with the State Government that Adelaide does not currently have sufficient traffic volumes needed to entertain the notion of building a toll road.

While debate on toll roads is important, inaccurate reporting only serves to confuse the community.

Sharon Hanlon
RAA General Manager Public Affairs"

Studied Civil Engineering - graduated 1995 - now working in IT.

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#86 Post by Brando » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:28 pm

ReallyBad wrote:I can't believe it, I am amazed, overwhelmed, stuck for words - The Advertiser got it wrong...
Toll Roads: RAA position
21-Feb-2008

Letter to Editor
(submitted to The Advertiser on Thursday 21 February 2008)

"The RAA finds it disturbing that the page one article in today’s paper titled “Toll Time” contains a number of blatantly wrong statements with regards to the RAA’s position on toll roads.

Readers should be aware that despite a number of phone calls yesterday with The Advertiser, the RAA considers the content of the published article to be mischievous and highly unprofessional and does not accurately reflect the RAA’s position on tolls.

The RAA is not calling for the introduction or consideration of toll lanes, nor does it offer unqualified support for toll roads generally. The RAA has long held that South Australian motorists more than pay their way already and deserve to have a well maintained and efficient road network without having to pay additional taxes, fees or levies.

RAA members are supportive of an upgraded South Road in order to significantly decrease their overall travel times, however, this does not extend to the imposition of a toll.

RAA agrees with the State Government that Adelaide does not currently have sufficient traffic volumes needed to entertain the notion of building a toll road.

While debate on toll roads is important, inaccurate reporting only serves to confuse the community.

Sharon Hanlon
RAA General Manager Public Affairs"

That is really bad, ReallyBad.. :lol:

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#87 Post by AtD » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:06 pm

Now that makes a lot more sense, all the players doing what they do best, RAA saying road users are being screwed, The Advertiser screwing things up. :mrgreen:

Omicron

#88 Post by Omicron » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:36 pm

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#89 Post by Edgar » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:06 am

That is two very, VERY different stories.

Waewick

Discussion: Toll Roads

#90 Post by Waewick » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:17 pm

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/pressure- ... 6383986648

Now I've posted the typical Adelaide now response to Rod Hooks statement that the State will need to consider Tolls in the future.

Personally, this is a no brainier - but it needs to be for the right reasons.

I don't want to see tolls introduced simply for maintenance costs, they need to be put in place on roads that are significantly upgraded and provide a service you could no otherwise gain.

suggestions would be:

express city loop (including a 80kms speed limit)

the continuation of the South Road super way to meet the express way.

Any connection between the Northern Expressway to Port Adelaide.

What are people's thoughts on the argument for and against tolls? and ideas for future tolled roads?