News & Discussion : New Restaurants, Bars & Night Clubs

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
The Scooter Guy
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion : New Bars & Night Clubs

#76 Post by The Scooter Guy » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:38 pm

Wurst & Stein on Grenfell St has just opened beneath Harry's Bar (in the former suit hire).
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Blimp
High Rise Poster!

#77 Post by Blimp » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:52 am

The Crab Shack (adjacent the Crown and Anchor) is winding up, with its last night on the 30th of April.

Was there a proposal made for this site? I recall seeing something but it never eventuated so perhaps there may be some life in it?

Nathan

#78 Post by Nathan » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:56 am

Blimp wrote:The Crab Shack (adjacent the Crown and Anchor) is winding up, with its last night on the 30th of April.

Was there a proposal made for this site? I recall seeing something but it never eventuated so perhaps there may be some life in it?
Yes, a rather bland looking serviced apartment building. Crab Shack / Little Miss / etc. have always been on a temporary rent until the site is needed for the development.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#79 Post by Ben » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:02 pm

They close every April and then open up again usually in November under a new name but yes there is a Karidis proposal (one of many) that hasn't eventuated.

Blimp
High Rise Poster!

#80 Post by Blimp » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:20 pm

I was aware that they operated seasonally and with that they often change their identity (having been little miss mexico or something similar once upon a time)

Will be interesting to see what they come up with next if it does return as a bar.

ghs

#81 Post by ghs » Tue May 10, 2016 6:37 am

Atlantis (the upmarket club on Waymouth street) is going to be opening on May 21.

It will be interesting to see how long it lasts - it's going to be pretty cold in the beer garden over the
next few months.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#82 Post by crawf » Tue May 10, 2016 9:43 am

ghs wrote:Atlantis (the upmarket club on Waymouth street) is going to be opening on May 21.

It will be interesting to see how long it lasts - it's going to be pretty cold in the beer garden over the
next few months.
Hence why they invented outdoor heaters..

What will really make or break this place is the indoor features. Personally, it sounds extremely tacky and not a place I would visit.

Llessur2002

#83 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue May 10, 2016 9:47 am

ghs wrote:the upmarket club
:hilarious:

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#84 Post by monotonehell » Tue May 10, 2016 11:30 am

crawf wrote:Hence why they invented outdoor heaters..
Outdoor heating is the most wasteful idea. If you're not comfortable outdoors, stop adding to entropy, go inside.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#85 Post by rev » Wed May 11, 2016 5:36 pm

Outdoor heaters are great, if you're sitting right under one or next to one. Or like Mono said, go inside. If you smoke, sucks to be you don't it.

Atlantis will fail, just like their venture across the road next to Savvy 5-6 years ago. Just like the "new" Heaven on Pultney failed.
You know why? Because its old faces trying to do old things. And when they try new things, they fail at them because the market has moved beyond them.
They shouldn't give up their day jobs.

You know what would be good to see as something different being tried? A Mediterranean style beach bar/club, that's actually on(or partly on) the beach that's open during the summer months. A pop-up club? Tens of thousands of young people go to the Mediterranean every year to party during our winter months.
Of course it would be next to impossible to do here because there's bound to be someone who will complain about part of the beach being used for a club & bar. :lol:

Waewick

#86 Post by Waewick » Wed May 11, 2016 9:58 pm

I hope it succeeds

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#87 Post by mshagg » Thu May 12, 2016 10:46 am

It looks different, but from what I can tell is probably skewing a bit younger than my demographic lol.

Still, different is good. Seems every other new venue that opens is just a knock off of udaberri (a bar that I love, but enough with the small bar carbon copies), and they all seem to rake it in.

Mountaineer
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#88 Post by Mountaineer » Thu May 12, 2016 11:06 am

rev wrote:Outdoor heaters are great, if you're sitting right under one or next to one. Or like Mono said, go inside. If you smoke, sucks to be you don't it.

Atlantis will fail, just like their venture across the road next to Savvy 5-6 years ago. Just like the "new" Heaven on Pultney failed.
You know why? Because its old faces trying to do old things. And when they try new things, they fail at them because the market has moved beyond them.
They shouldn't give up their day jobs.

You know what would be good to see as something different being tried? A Mediterranean style beach bar/club, that's actually on(or partly on) the beach that's open during the summer months. A pop-up club? Tens of thousands of young people go to the Mediterranean every year to party during our winter months.
Of course it would be next to impossible to do here because there's bound to be someone who will complain about part of the beach being used for a club & bar. :lol:
I have thought of a beach style bar for a while now. Every time I've gone overseas, I've thought of how Adelaideans would love a bar on the beach.

It would have to be at Glenelg to avoid too many complaints, and of course, there will have to measures to stop drunk swimmer from drowning (which is seemingly inevitable). The bar would also be extremely popular and packed out I feel, but with all these pop up bars with beach themes, surely the market is there for the real thing.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#89 Post by Wayno » Thu May 12, 2016 3:52 pm

Agree with the beach bar. I've thought similar many times. An issue to consider would be the bogan-coefficient which was a trigger for banning of drinking all along the metro coast.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#90 Post by mshagg » Thu May 12, 2016 4:34 pm

A beach bar is far too much fun to be viable in Australia. Our culture of "if it's not illegal then it's ok" means anything along these lines is no double already legislated out of existence.