News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: U/C: Electrification & Upgrade of the Adelaide Rail Network

#3286 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:23 pm

Rejoice. Salisbury is my local station and has been for 4.5 years, so I'm pretty happy about this news.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

SBD

#3287 Post by SBD » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:35 pm

Kasey771 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:10 pm
Patrick_27 wrote:Jay Weatherill's Facebook page says that Lend Lease have been signed on to do the Gawler Electrification with work to begin in weeks. Finally.
10 years after it was first proposed...It’s amazing how an impending election can get things done isn’t it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"First Proposed" is relative.
Gawler Bunyip 21 April 1950 wrote:Move for Extension of
Rail Electrification.
As far as Gawler?
At the instigation of the Salis-
bury Development Advisory Com-
mittee, Gawler and other Council
bodies immediately north of Salis-
bury will meet next month to see
what action can be taken to per-
suade the State Government to ex-
tend electrification of the railway
system as far as Gawler.
At present the proposal is to
electrify the system to Dry Creek.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#3288 Post by Goodsy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:43 pm

Wonder if they're going to get rid of any level crossings while they're at it

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#3289 Post by Kasey771 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:02 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:17 pm
Well they've only gone to 3 elections promising to do something... you can only take people for mugs for so long.
I used to (half) joke that Jay had chosen to electrify Seaford over Gawler because of the electoral make up of that area compared to the North(which always votes Labor) ie there was no new votes in it for him. Perhaps now he's just realised that even he cant mug people off for 3 elections in a row and still count on the vote of the North? Either way I'm happy this looks like finally happening :banana:
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3290 Post by Norman » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:15 pm

Good, now let's start planning the extension under the CBD. It will allow higher frequencies on all lines due to being able to run through the CBD rather than terminating in a terminus station.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3291 Post by crawf » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:21 pm

Norman wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:15 pm
Good, now let's start planning the extension under the CBD. It will allow higher frequencies on all lines due to being able to run through the CBD rather than terminating in a terminus station.
The next step needs to be electrifying the Outer Harbor and Belair Lines.

Then a city loop ;)

[Shuz]

#3292 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:35 pm

crawf wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:21 pm
Norman wrote:

Then a city loop ;)
Outer Harbour, yes - no doubt about it this will be the next cab off the rank after Gawler electrification is done. Too much time and money has been invested in upgrading the Outer Harbour line (level crossing removals, new station upgrades, sleeper replacement, Torrens Junction, etc.) to justify converting it to light rail.

As for Belair - I think the jury's still out on that one. They may be better off converting the line to light rail, but deviating at Mitcham Station and going down Unley Road as part of the proposed UnleyLink tram line. But that's a discussion for another thread (visions).

A City Loop is a while off yet - another two decades at least, I'd say.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#3293 Post by Goodsy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:41 pm

I'd put money on regional lines happening before the city loop

Patrick_27

#3294 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:15 pm

I think a city loops needs to happen sooner rather than later as we're now behind on every other major Australian capital with this and the longer we go without the more it will cost in the long run. That said, as it has been mentioned here there are so many rail projects that need consideration (without even mentioning trams). The first is Gawler electrification, the second is Outer Harbour and whether they keep the Grange spur line open, the next is the Belair corridor and if they move freight up north to allow for reduplication, extension and electrification of that line (at this point there seems to be a fair argument that the cost/benefit ratio is way out on that one at this point in time). Then we have regional rail and extension of the Seaford, and eventual Flinders line (to Flagstaff Hill), other new lines that could be viable and necessary. The list goes on and on. Until this state has a massive economic boom I think it's fair to say that the Feds are going to ignore most of these projects. Personally I'd also see some viability in re-opening the Northfield line, extending it and sending trains out towards Athelstone.

prometheus2704
Gold-Member ;)

#3295 Post by prometheus2704 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:18 pm

crawf wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:21 pm
Norman wrote:

Then a city loop ;)
I seem to recall that height of one or both of the tunnels on the Belair Line prevent electrification without substantial works to increase their height. Those costs wouldn't justify it. As extra diesel cars become available, what will stop the Belair Line getting more passengers will be the frequency of services. The passing loops currently stop that. All but a few trains into the city in the morning and back out in the evening have to stop at at least one loop.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3296 Post by Norman » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:39 pm

An interesting idea posted on another forum was to use railcars fitted with batteries. When the train enters the tunnel, it switches to battery power until the next section with wires is reached. Could be worth looking at.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#3297 Post by Goodsy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:43 pm

claybro

#3298 Post by claybro » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:58 pm

Is there any harm keeping Belair as diesel, but upgrading the stations and tracks (duplication) and new railcars? I am always surprised in other countries how many local outer suburban and regional lines are still diesel-even in places like Japan, where electric everything is used including freight.
As for the priority, I think maybe focus on electrification of Gawler and OH (in whatever form that is decided) and much improvement of stations including some amalgamation. Perhaps close the Grange spur after Albert Park, but redirect it to West Lakes. Seaton, East Grange stations are a waste of space being either end of a large golf course.
Once patronage improves with the improvement in services and amenity, the loop could be the next priority. Not sure extensions to Aldinga or Flagstaff Hill should come until after the loop.
:2cents:

mawsonguy
High Rise Poster!

#3299 Post by mawsonguy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:26 pm

If you read the announcement carefully you will see that it is Labor Party spin and they are only electrifying the section from Adelaide to Salisbury (Hint: they talk of Stage 1 and Stage 2). The section from Salisbury to Gawler remains unfunded and will not occur until the State Government can extract funds from the Feds.

My vote for the next project after electrifying the OH line is installing passing loops on the Seaford and Gawler lines so we can have true express services.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3300 Post by SRW » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:13 pm

The above is correct: electrification beyond Salisbury remains unfunded.

I think that the city loop is the highest priority after electrification of Gawler and Outer Harbor. The city loop will allow efficiencies on all routes to actually grow and sustain patronage, as well as open the potential for regional links once Adelaide Station is freed up. Imagine being able to catch a train to the Barossa from North Tce!
Keep Adelaide Weird