[CAN] 64-68 Hindley Street | 81m | 22lvls | Hotel

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[CAN] Re: #APP: 64-68 Hindley St | 81m | 22lvls | Hotel

#166 Post by Ben » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:10 am

skyliner wrote:
joshzxzx wrote:Lets just hope that the developers can get finance..

As this would be a great addition to our boring skyline...
I understand what you are getting at - in B'bane 30% of all projects now on hold/cancelled - including the Empire State bldg. (all about finance). Housing industry 25% drop.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
:shock: Empire State Building?

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#167 Post by Shuz » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:49 am

Empire Square... that's been cancelled outright. Some shitty 44lvl ~160m tower Nauru House, MLC Centre lookalike replica is replacing the site. Damn shame really.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#168 Post by Ben » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:59 am

Shuz wrote:Empire Square... that's been cancelled outright. Some shitty 44lvl ~160m tower Nauru House, MLC Centre lookalike replica is replacing the site. Damn shame really.
I'd wet myself if we had a 44lvl 160m tower... lol funny how when you reach a certian level you always want more. Don;t blame them though.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#169 Post by Wayno » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:21 pm

last night I saw a TV News report focused on new hotel building developments in the CBD. The Hotels Association are worried buildings such as 64-68 Hindley Street will push up vacancy levels from 20% (as at today) to approx 40% by 2011. They say the SA Govt must start now to generate more tourism via a broader mix of festivals spread throughout the year...

If the fear of increased vacancy rates will push the govt to create more tourism/festivals, then i say bring it on!
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#170 Post by AtD » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:28 pm

Wayno wrote:...
In summary, the Hotels Association don't want more competition. It's like Woolworths protesting the construction of a new Coles.

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#171 Post by skyliner » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:57 am

Ben wrote:
skyliner wrote:
joshzxzx wrote:Lets just hope that the developers can get finance..

As this would be a great addition to our boring skyline...
I understand what you are getting at - in B'bane 30% of all projects now on hold/cancelled - including the Empire State bldg. (all about finance). Housing industry 25% drop.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
:shock: Empire State Building?
Sorry! My bad! Slip of the keys you know! Empire square is it.

ADELAIDE TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#172 Post by omada » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:29 am

ooh how my heart bleeds for the existing hotel operators! It's called capitalism. Newer and swankier hotels will merely weed out the inferior ones, bad luck.

On that tangent, I'm tired of the protectionist attitude many business sectors have, particularly in light of the Government's recent 5% emission reduction target and providing rebates for high carbon emitting industries in the transition period - I say let the industries that pollute the most bear the actual cost and if not viable, let them fail - new industries that can operate in this new business environment will replace them.

Professor
High Rise Poster!

#173 Post by Professor » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:37 pm

Yep...

Let's send all of our jobs in manufacturing and resource transformation off to China and India who have no emmissions limits.

That will save the planet and we will all have lots of time here in Australia to contemplate the infinate.

PS I hope this hotel gets built in Hindley St. Every time there is a new hotel proposed in Adelaide the existing operators complain - they did it for the Hilton, the Hyatt etc. This particplaur hotel design looks a lot better than the "normal" layout so maybe it will be built.

Hindley Street Alley
Gold-Member ;)

#174 Post by Hindley Street Alley » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:00 pm

and correct me if I'm wrong, but Majestic is a south australian company - which is a bonus and something which should be considered as another positive - i guess this would be their real showcase hotel.

today adelaide, tomorrow, the world :lol:

looks good, i give it the thumbs up

Matt
Legendary Member!

#175 Post by Matt » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:43 pm

Hrm...
At the risk of being shot down in flames, I think this is an eyesore and a half.

It's a worry when something is already dated before it's even been built.
Looks very 70's/80's and not in a good way.

Hindley Street Alley
Gold-Member ;)

#176 Post by Hindley Street Alley » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:30 pm

I can sort of see what people mean with the 70's/80s thing,.. but i don't think this is a problem for a few reasons:

adelaide doesn't really have anything else like this
i can't think of another building in another australian city thats exactly like it (im guessing there are some similar?)
i think it would be really cool if they actually have all the plants on the balconies like in the render (from a little distance away you could see all the greenery - it could be very cool if they do it well)
even if you think the design is dated, its still a more unique design than a standard box, which seem to be extremely common...

But i do have one gripe with alot of buildings that go up in Adelaide:
there is no area near the top (ie a restaurant or bar etc.) that the public can access, id love to be able to go up to the top of this thing to a bar with an awesome view

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#177 Post by omada » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:26 am

Professor wrote: Yep...

Let's send all of our jobs in manufacturing and resource transformation off to China and India who have no emmissions limits.

That will save the planet and we will all have lots of time here in Australia to contemplate the infinate.
Typical extremist point of view, think of the bigger picture, sorry, but it's people like you that are condemning our future

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#178 Post by Howie » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:42 am

Professor wrote:Yep...

We shouldn't throw stones in glass houses...

"Australia is the world's worst polluter per capita, producing five times as much carbon from generating power as China. " : Source.

"IF THE rest of the world emitted carbon gases at the same per person rate as Australia, its population would need seven planets to sustain the pollution, according to a damning United Nations report." :
Source.

Professor
High Rise Poster!

#179 Post by Professor » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:33 pm

I should not have commented as it's not related to the building. However, you can do anything with per capita statistics. For every Australian there are almost 65 Chinese citizens. That level of distortion makes per capita analysis a bit pointless. Besides, the answer to greenhouse gas emmissions for power generation is nuclear for the base load, but that sets up another greenie debate against waste etc. No easy answers.

Anyway, a very Merry Christmas to all!

Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

#180 Post by Paulns » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:47 am

Ben wrote:I'd wet myself if we had a 44lvl 160m tower... lol funny how when you reach a certian level you always want more. Don;t blame them though.
Haha! I agree... I'd break down and cry with tears of happiness if someone ever built a 160m hotel, tower, building, anything in Adelaide!!!!! We should be happy their even proposing this? I hope it gets built, looks better than some of the other real 70's/80's dog box ugly buildings that still spoil the city...
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".