News & Discussion: Electricity Infrastructure

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
abc
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Electricity Infrastructure

#1516 Post by abc » Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:13 pm

Nort wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:12 pm
abc wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:46 pm
Nort wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:12 pm

That's why you don't just rely on wind, and where you are using wind generation have it spread across a variety of locations.

Can you share an example of the weather conditions that you think could lead to no wind across the state?
You cant have turbines everywhere. You do realise you've got to build electricity networks to all of these turbines - they probably don't teach such technical details in what has substituted our education system in this generation.

There are times of the year where there is virtually no wind across the majority of the state.
We don't need to have turbines everywhere, you do what we already do, which is having them spread across a variety of high value locations.

If there are those times of the year when wind generation is not viable then it should be very easy for you to show examples, since the breakdowns of energy sources to the state grid are well recorded.

Since you asked about education systems, when I went to university the onus was on providing references and evidence to back up claims, with those statements being made with no ability to back them up were effectively worthless. I look forward to you schooling us with that evidence.
What did you study at university Nort?

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1517 Post by Nort » Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:41 pm

abc wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:13 pm
Nort wrote:
abc wrote:

You cant have turbines everywhere. You do realise you've got to build electricity networks to all of these turbines - they probably don't teach such technical details in what has substituted our education system in this generation.

There are times of the year where there is virtually no wind across the majority of the state.
We don't need to have turbines everywhere, you do what we already do, which is having them spread across a variety of high value locations.

If there are those times of the year when wind generation is not viable then it should be very easy for you to show examples, since the breakdowns of energy sources to the state grid are well recorded.

Since you asked about education systems, when I went to university the onus was on providing references and evidence to back up claims, with those statements being made with no ability to back them up were effectively worthless. I look forward to you schooling us with that evidence.
Let's not move onto another subject before resolving the current one. Can you or can you not show evidence for the claims you are making?

abc
Legendary Member!

#1518 Post by abc » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:01 pm

Nort wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:41 pm
abc wrote:
Nort wrote:

Let's not move onto another subject before resolving the current one. Can you or can you not show evidence for the claims you are making?
:lol: oh look at you deflect now

I don't need to provide a link to prove the sky is blue

Nort

#1519 Post by Nort » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:41 pm

abc wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:01 pm
Nort wrote:
abc wrote:

In this analogy we agree the sky is usually blue and you are arguing it is sometimes green.

And it is not deflecting to not play into your game where you evade everything you know you can't back up by switching the subject.

abc
Legendary Member!

#1520 Post by abc » Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:31 pm

Nort wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:41 pm
abc wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:01 pm
Nort wrote:

In this analogy we agree the sky is usually blue and you are arguing it is sometimes green.

And it is not deflecting to not play into your game where you evade everything you know you can't back up by switching the subject.
you brought up university not me

I'm trying to ascertain your level of expertise on this subject

SBD

#1521 Post by SBD » Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:36 pm

Nort wrote:
abc wrote:
Nort wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:12 pm

That's why you don't just rely on wind, and where you are using wind generation have it spread across a variety of locations.

Can you share an example of the weather conditions that you think could lead to no wind across the state?

I find it quite difficult from the available dashboards to distinguish between "wind turbines cannot generate" because the wind is not blowing up where the turbines are and "wind turbines are not generating" because it is uneconomic as solar is cheaper, the spot market price is below the contract price, AEMO has curtailed output or whatever other operational reason.

During the recent hot week, SA seemed to be running gas generators and importing quite a bit of electricity, but I didn't have tools to say this was due to the wind turbines being unable to generate.

Right now, Torrens Island B2 is running at 40MW and Mintaro gas turbine is running at 30MW. That seems to be minimum not-renewable energy currently required by AEMO to be available. Those rules have to be changed to reach absolute zero. Most wind turbines are barely ticking over. SA's spot price has been below $0 since 9am. NSW price is >$50, so the direct interconnector should be able to shift some of that cheap electricity, if the coal generators there can wind down enough, since in absolute terms, NSW is has way more solar than SA but is exporting expensive power to Victoria.

abc
Legendary Member!

#1522 Post by abc » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:27 pm

'clean energy'
Needville community concerned about thousands of busted solar panels
By Randy Wallace
Published March 22, 2024 9:41pm CDTCrime and Public SafetyFOX 26 Houston

Needville concerned about solar panel contamination

Thousands of solar panels in the Needville area were destroyed in a heavy hail storm on March 16 and residents are concerned about possible chemical contamination. FOX 26's Randy Wallace reports more after speaking to community members.

NEEDVILLE, Texas - There are several solar farms in the Needville area spanning more than 10,000 acres.

Some are up and running while others are being constructed.

Nearby residents were concerned before the panels were installed.

"It was a hailstorm like we've never seen before," said Nick Kaminski who lives near the solar farms.

The 4,000-acre solar farm called Fighting J's near his Needville area home took a beating during hailstorms on March 16.

When he first saw the damage, Kaminski says he was shocked.

He was one of the residents worried about the environmental impact before the solar farms were built.

"That's correct. I was worried about it," Kaminski said.

Nick showed us emails he sent to Fort Bend County Commissioners, the Fort Bend Economic Development Council, and the owners of Fighting J's Solar Farm asking for the environmental impact report.

"We've asked for the same studies, and we've been treated the same way," said Mikes Fugua who also lives near the solar farms. "We got nothing out of them."

"My concern is the hail damage that came through and busted these panels we now have some highly toxic chemicals that could be potentially leaking into our water tables," said Kaminski

"There's numerous makeup in the chemicals on this thing," Fugua said. "The majority of them are cancer-causing."

It's Kaminski's worst nightmare come true.

"I have a family two children and a wife," he said. "My neighbors have kids and a lot of other residents in the area who are on well water are concerned that the chemicals are now leaking into our water tables."

"We've got livestock that have to drink it. We have to bath, drink, all that good stuff," said Fugua. "It's a big concern,"

We asked Fighting J's Solar Farm for a comment, but we haven't heard back.

Test results on the soil and water are pending.
https://www.fox26houston.com/news/needv ... fighting-j

more video here
https://x.com/CitizenFreePres/status/17 ... 99716?s=20

SBD

#1523 Post by SBD » Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:32 pm

abc wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:27 pm
'clean energy'
By Randy Wallace

more video here
so someone who didn't want a solar farm next door expressed "concern" to their local FOX station, who published the story without waiting for comment by the solar farm owner, nor results of any soil or water tests.

I'm not sure if there's any reason for "concern", but this article doesn't confirm it.

abc
Legendary Member!

#1524 Post by abc » Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:44 pm

SBD wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:32 pm
abc wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:27 pm
'clean energy'
By Randy Wallace

more video here
so someone who didn't want a solar farm next door expressed "concern" to their local FOX station, who published the story without waiting for comment by the solar farm owner, nor results of any soil or water tests.

I'm not sure if there's any reason for "concern", but this article doesn't confirm it.
imagine if hail was a thing in SA... oh wait

thousands of acres of panels destroyed... just ignore that detail

SBD

#1525 Post by SBD » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:50 am

abc wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:44 pm
SBD wrote:

I was geo-blocked from seeing if the farm might still be generating electricity. I could not find any official information online to suggest that hail-damaged panels leak dangerous chemicals such as cadmium, lead and polyvinyl chloride into the groundwater. I've never heard announcements not to drink rainwater from house roofs with hail-damaged panels. I've not heard news reports of widespread blackouts in Texas due to damaged farms. I don't consider serious conversations between the operator and its insurance company as a cause for community concern.

Nort

#1526 Post by Nort » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:40 pm

That article is basically just:
4s58kw.jpg

abc
Legendary Member!

#1527 Post by abc » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:27 pm

SBD wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:50 am
abc wrote:
SBD wrote:

I was geo-blocked from seeing if the farm might still be generating electricity. I could not find any official information online to suggest that hail-damaged panels leak dangerous chemicals such as cadmium, lead and polyvinyl chloride into the groundwater. I've never heard announcements not to drink rainwater from house roofs with hail-damaged panels. I've not heard news reports of widespread blackouts in Texas due to damaged farms. I don't consider serious conversations between the operator and its insurance company as a cause for community concern.
How convenient you were geo-blocked. Once again it just amazes me that you deny the reality of what happened to this farm. You're now even disputing that it was damaged at all.
New levels of gaslighting.

Nort

#1528 Post by Nort » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:52 pm

abc wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:27 pm
SBD wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:50 am
abc wrote:

How convenient you were geo-blocked. Once again it just amazes me that you deny the reality of what happened to this farm. You're now even disputing that it was damaged at all.
New levels of gaslighting.
This seems like either a misunderstanding of what SBD actually said, or a blatant lie.

Unless you can quote the part of his post where he was "disputing that it was damaged at all"?

Once again though, you have the opportunity to share us with the facts and evidence you apparently have access to. Provide any of this showing chemicals being released, or the site no longer being able to generate power, and you'll be more easily able to make your case.

As someone interested in the best solutions for our state, based on evidence, I look forward to you sharing it.

abc
Legendary Member!

#1529 Post by abc » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:45 pm

nothing to see here

Archer
High Rise Poster!

#1530 Post by Archer » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:47 pm

Different News article on the same Hail Incident: https://www.newsweek.com/thousands-sola ... rm-1883546
I have no idea how reliable any of these news reports are, just found some further information in this one that seemed interesting & relevant.

Interesting Excerpts:
Solar panels are built to be fairly durable to the elements and can continue to produce energy if damaged. Research by the National Renewable Energy Laboratory suggests hail-cracked panels have less than four percent energy loss. However, the Department of Energy notes that baseball-sized hail can have enough kinetic energy to fully break the glass on solar panels.
While solar panels can contain toxic substances such as cadmium telluride and copper indium gallium diselenide, in solar cells they are found in solid form in a thin film that usually only becomes an environmental concern when disposing of them. It is also unclear if the panels at Fighting Jays Solar Farm contain the chemicals.

Experts have said that solar panels have several protective layers to avoid the substances being exposed through damage. County officials told local news outlets that hazardous materials crews had so far found no contamination in the area.