News & Discussion: Other Metropolitan Developments

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Other Metropolitan Developments

#1591 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:21 am

rev wrote:I didn't think the winds in that storm were that strong, or wasn't that secured properly?
There is still some work being done, even last night, to secure this and to repair the house.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Nort

#1592 Post by Nort » Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:19 pm

My guess would be not secured properly, since most of the calculations would have been done with those walls never experiencing wind from that direction when the structure is complete.

EBG

#1593 Post by EBG » Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:45 pm

Update of Hackney hotel project- now at full height level 6 (24/12/2023).
Attachments
20231223_hackney hotel.jpg

PeFe

#1594 Post by PeFe » Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:57 pm

More new housing announced......big development in West Lakes plus one north and one south

From InDaily
Green light for new West Lakes housing plan

A disused wastewater plant at West Lakes will become a housing precinct with four-storey buildings and hundreds of new homes, after the state government approved a developer’s rezoning bid.

A computer image of the future West Lakes housing development. Photo: SA govt/supplied

Planning Minister Nick Champion today announced the approval for a longstanding bid to rezone the old SA Water Wastewater Treatment Plant on the corner of Frederick Road and Lochside Drive at West Lakes.

The 19.8-hectare site is near the West Lakes waterfront and around 10km northwest of the CBD.

The wastewater plant was shut down in 2004 and the site purchased by developers Potentia West Lakes, which in 2021 funded a planning code amendment to rezone the site for housing.

The Minister’s approval allows 489 new medium density homes on the site as well as potential commercial uses. Fifteen per cent of new homes will be classed as affordable houses.

However, Champion has limited the maximum height for the site to four storeys. The developer had sought five storeys, while many local residents wanted only two.

Champion argued today that the “predominant thing” residents wanted was for the edge of the site to be waterfront zoned in keeping with the existing development in West Lakes.

He also said the rezoning would only allow four-storey development in the centre of the site, rather than on the edges.

“As you come in closer… to the centre, closer to the heritage buildings, (the building height) will go up,” he said, adding the maximum heights are “pretty modest”.

“So that’ll be a great outcome – local residents will be able to walk through the park here, enjoy the open space… come for a coffee or a beer or something at the redone heritage building.

An aerial shot of the West Lakes site. Image: SA govt/supplied

Local heritage buildings on the West Lakes sites have been earmarked for adaptive reuse. Photo: Tony Lewis/InDaily

“I mean this is going to be a sensational outcome, not just for the people who live here but for everyone.”

Champion and Premier Peter Malinauskas also announced today that the government has approved rezoning bids in Hillier Park and O’Sullivan Beach.

The Hillier Park development is a 23.1-hectare land parcel on Hillier Road earmarked for 400 new homes. The government said it will feature a new residential park with affordable accommodation for over 50s.

The O’Sullivan Beach rezoning affects a six-hectare land parcel on Gumeracha Road and Baden Terrace. The site has been earmarked for 114 new low and medium density homes.

Asked when development would start on the three sites, Champion said West Lakes and Hillier Park would start very soon.

Planning Minister Nick Champion at Tuesday’s press conference. Photo: Tony Lewis/InDaily

“I think work will begin on this site (West Lakes) very very soon,” Champion said, “They basically have been agitating to get going, so I think they’re raring to go here.

“At Hillier Park – same deal. There’s a great deal of demand for… small allotments and residential parks. We spoke to the planner there yesterday and they think it’s immediate.”

Public transport challenge ahead for West Lakes site
A lack of public transport connection to the West Lakes development site was one of the residents’ concerns voiced during the code amendment process.

The nearest bus stop to the future development is around 800 meters south on Frederick Road.

The Planning Minister said additional bus services would have to wait until when people move into the area.

“Public transport follows density – nothing engages public transport like people being here,” he said.

“You wouldn’t run a bus down here at the moment because there’s nobody working here or living here.

“So once this development’s done, (Transport) Minister (Tom) Koutsantonis can look at the provision for buses.”

Local MP and Treasurer Stephen Mullighan wrote to the City of Charles Sturt Council on November 24, 2022 “on behalf of West Lakes residents” raising concerns about a lack of public transport to the site.

Mullighan’s letter also highlighted residents’ concerns about five-storey housing on the site.

“Generally, residents oppose the construction of residences higher than two storeys and fear overcrowding in medium density dwellings,” he wrote.

“Higher towers are opposed for the same reason. In this context many are concerned that the development would alter the character of the suburb.”

A waterfront zone will apply to new dwellings on the edge of the development site. Image: SA govt/supplied

Asked if the Treasurer supported the development, Champion said: “The local member was really active and vocal champion for his community as you would expect.

“He made a number of submissions to the council and a number of submissions as part of the code amendment process, basically talking about all the things that residents were – the waterfront zoning, the provision of open space and the height issue.”

Asked if the local MP got what we wanted, Champion said: “Well, what I think this is is a win-win.”

“I mean, I think this will sell like hotcakes. I think this will go very quickly.”

https://indaily.com.au/news/local/2024/ ... sing-plan/

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1595 Post by SRW » Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:09 pm

That's a crazy underutilsation of the West Lakes land in a housing crisis. Waterfont and 10km from the city! But apparently the ample detached single storey character of the neighbourhood has to be protected? This government's attitude to development is not fit for the times.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Nathan

#1596 Post by Nathan » Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:20 pm

SRW wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:09 pm
That's a crazy underutilsation of the West Lakes land in a housing crisis. Waterfont and 10km from the city! But apparently the ample detached single storey character of the neighbourhood has to be protected? This government's attitude to development is not fit for the times.
Residents that were happy to live next to a wastewater plant, but not 4-storey apartments. :|

ChillyPhilly

#1597 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:28 pm

My goodness, there is some awful language in that article.

'Fear overcrowding in medium density'. Uhh, what?

Algernon

#1598 Post by Algernon » Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:34 pm

SRW wrote:
I was a resident of the area for quite a while. Some 25 years ago it came out that there was soil contamination in the area from the water treatment plant.

I wouldn't be buying there in a hurry.

Modbury_Man
Gold-Member ;)

#1599 Post by Modbury_Man » Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:46 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:28 pm

Interesting as well that Minister Champion doesn't think the area is worthy of a bus service as yet, when his own party protested the removal of the 350 route a few years ago which would serve this new site perfectly! It linked Port Adelaide and West Lakes via Frederick Rd.

https://www.facebook.com/PMalinauskasMP ... 42/?type=3

ChillyPhilly

#1600 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:58 pm

Modbury_Man wrote:
ChillyPhilly wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:28 pm

Interesting as well that Minister Champion doesn't think the area is worthy of a bus service as yet, when his own party protested the removal of the 350 route a few years ago which would serve this new site perfectly! It linked Port Adelaide and West Lakes via Frederick Rd.

https://www.facebook.com/PMalinauskasMP ... 42/?type=3
Champion knows nothing about planning and it shows every time he speaks.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1601 Post by SRW » Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:21 pm

Algernon wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:34 pm
SRW wrote:
I was a resident of the area for quite a while. Some 25 years ago it came out that there was soil contamination in the area from the water treatment plant.

Most inner city sites are contaminated to some extent (e.g. Bowden, West End brewery). All the more reason it's better suited to denser development as it would require less intense methods of remediation than plots for detached housing.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Algernon

#1602 Post by Algernon » Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:59 pm

SRW wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:21 pm
Algernon wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:34 pm
SRW wrote:

Most inner city sites are contaminated to some extent (e.g. Bowden, West End brewery). All the more reason it's better suited to denser development as it would require less intense methods of remediation than plots for detached housing.
I agree with that to a certain degree - site remediation bar can be quite high. the issue here though is the extent of the contamination. This came out about 25 years ago and there was quite a big furore at the time with community meetings about this. The groundwater was contaminated and basically if you lived East of the lake, you were told the vegetables you were growing were good for the rubbish. The contamination wasn't localised to the treatment plant land, so I don't have high confidence that a few metres can be scraped off the top and backfilled and it's all roses.

Setting aside the suitability of the soil. Asusming no issue there, what is the overall amenity here justifying higher density? It doesn't really have access to the water unless you go north or south to the man made beach areas. Transport wise, this was the shit part of West Lakes. You were too far from the boulevard for the mall buses to the city and too far from port road for the port adelaide buses. Maybe the amenity proposition is "peace and damn quiet" which I guess is fair, but not a screamer of a location for mine except being psychologically close to a body of water.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#1603 Post by rev » Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:53 am

Buses run along Frederick road.

Modbury_Man
Gold-Member ;)

#1604 Post by Modbury_Man » Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:32 am

rev wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:53 am
The 350 bus route was cut a few years ago along this section of Frederick Rd - only a School Bus runs along here now. The infrequent and interpeak only 371/372 service (https://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/routes/371) runs a bit further south on Frederick Rd.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#1605 Post by rev » Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:20 pm

Modbury_Man wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:32 am
rev wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:53 am
The 350 bus route was cut a few years ago along this section of Frederick Rd - only a School Bus runs along here now. The infrequent and interpeak only 371/372 service (https://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/routes/371) runs a bit further south on Frederick Rd.
371 also runs late morning/early arvo a few times near the site in question at West Lakes.
Wouldn't be hard for Adelaide Metro to expand services if buses where the preferred PT option/if there was demand when this development completes.
How about a coastal tram network, Semaphore up into the Port, down Frederick and WSB to the Westfield and the higher density area there, onto Military road to Grange & Henley, and onto Glenelg. Could even link it to the airport.
I think this state needs to wake up and realize that PT doesn't need to start/end or include the CBD, the majority of people do not travel to the CBD on a daily basis, not for work or any other reason.