News & Discussion: Other Metropolitan Developments

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: General Suburban Projects & Discussion

#661 Post by AG » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:52 am

Jay Weatherill to reveal plans to create superb suburbs in Adelaide

by: Political Reporter Daniel Wills
February 07, 2012 11:00PM

PREMIER Jay Weatherill will today outline the State Government's plans for suburban renewal.

He will explain the role of a new authority overseeing land and housing development in a speech to a major industry group.

As the Government forges ahead with a planning review for the CBD including increasing maximum allowable building heights, Mr Weatherill will stress the need for family friendly suburbs.

The Government's 30-Year Plan for Greater Adelaide includes a focus on transport-oriented developments - dense communities based on major road and rail corridors.

Mr Weatherill's speech to the Urban Development Institute of Australia's state branch will canvass the Government's reasons for setting up the Urban Renewal Authority, flagged in November.

The new authority will be responsibility for the Bowden development, the Port Adelaide Waterfront overhaul and projects such as Woodville West on the Grange train line.

"I'll be talking to the UDIA about why we need a new approach to our city, suburbs and towns," Mr Weatherill told The Advertiser yesterday.

The Urban Renewal Authority will bring together agencies responsible for land and housing development, including the Land Management Corporation, Defence SA and Housing SA.

Mr Weatherill said it was critical the program was "properly co-ordinated" to deliver affordable housing.

Urban Development Institute of Australia SA executive director Terry Walsh said industry was eager to hear about Mr Weatherill's tours of urban projects in the US.

"We look forward to hearing ... what they will mean for SA and how government can work with the private sectors to create change," Mr Walsh said.

The Opposition's planning spokesman David Ridgway said the Government's development policy was cluttered with a raft of bureaucratic organisations that appeared to overlap.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Minda Redevelopment - Brighton - 6 levels

#662 Post by Will » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:30 pm

From the Messenger:
Community gives tick to Minda plan

Local News

15 Feb 12 @ 02:06pm by Tim Williams

MINDA says community reaction to its latest development masterplan has been “exceptionally positive” and will submit plans to Holdfast Bay Council for the first stage in March.

Chief executive Cathy Miller said more than 130 of the 300 people who attended briefings on the 10-year masterplan late last year also supplied written responses.

But Minda will not release the responses, saying anonymity was a condition of the consultation process.

The $200 million master plan involves erecting 294 retirement apartments in buildings ranging from three to eight storeys, and 36 houses and three apartment buildings for Minda residents.

“The majority of feedback has been exceptionally positive, particularly regarding Minda’s plans to create a coastal park, the choice of accommodation, community space, redevelopment of facilities for South Australians with intellectual disability, and the opportunity for Minda to become self-funded,” Ms Miller said.

Stage 1 includes two three-storey retirement blocks on Jack Fox Oval with 36 apartments, plus two three-storey blocks and 16 homes for Minda residents along King George Ave.

It also has a wetland and coastal park.

Ms Miller said some nearby residents had raised concerns about building on Jack Fox Oval and potential problems caused by the high-density parts of the plan.

Last year Minda decided not to build on undeveloped secondary dunes following a community backlash, but it now plans to replace old buildings on the dunes with large apartment blocks.

Vormund
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: Pasadena Shopping Centre Redevelopment - Multiplex

#663 Post by Vormund » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:23 pm

Was there today, some stuff inside is open now: Dan Murphy's, Flight Centre and Post Office/Newsagent.

Ned's is due to be open tomorrow, Urban by Target and the Chemist on Thursday.

I didn't check if anything out front was open though.

The Scooter Guy
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Pasadena Shopping Centre Redevelopment - Multiplex

#664 Post by The Scooter Guy » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:10 pm

For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#665 Post by Will » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:11 pm

A new Queen St?

From the Messenger:
Jetty Rd shopping revival

Local News 28 Mar 12 @ 08:30am by Lisa Bachmayer

POTENTIAL: Rene Mussared in her shop, In Love Again Vintage, on Jetty Rd, Largs Bay.

THREE businesses have opened on Jetty Rd in the past three months, breathing life into the historic shopping strip.

Traders say the revival could see the Largs Bay street become Adelaide’s next food and vintage clothing hotspot.

Queenies Store opened in late December, while clothing shops Ali’s Lane and In Love Again Vintage have joined the strip in the past month.

Another shopfront is being refitted, with a high tea cafe expected to open soon.

They join existing businesses including Foodwise Organics, Interlocks Hair, Face and Body, Weavers of the World and Largs Bay Books and Collectables.

It comes a year after the Portside Messenger reported traders were calling for urgent attention to survive as a commercial hub after a string of closures.

In Love Again Vintage owner Rene Mussared said the strip’s beachside location, historical buildings and like-minded traders gave Jetty Rd “huge potential” to become a popular shopping destination.

“I can see it becoming like Queen St at Croydon with an eclectic group of shops,” she said.

“Everyone is really excited. It could be a hotspot for something different in Adelaide.”

Ali Crook opened her shop, Ali’s Lane, after talking with Ms Mussared about creating a vintage fashion destination.

“We liked the idea of opening together so we have a destination rather than one shop for people to visit,” she said.

“We’ve had a positive response from a lot of locals who are happy that there is finally something happening on Jetty Rd.”

Billy Regione, who opened Queenies Store with Louise Closier, said the cafe had been busy since opening late last year.

“We did a lot of research before choosing the site and felt confident it would be good, but did not realise it would happen so quickly,” he said.

“We thought it was an excellent location that was right up our alley in the sense that there are lots of people around, but not as many as Glenelg or Semaphore Rd.

“The locals are mad for it.”

Interlocks Hair, Face and Body owner Tina Andrew, who has been on the street for four years, said Jetty Rd had “become a happy place to be” since the new shops moved in.

“It used to be dead on weekends, but they bring people into the area and we all feed off each other,” she said

Vee
Legendary Member!

#666 Post by Vee » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:27 am

Yes, Queen St. ((and it's extension across the railway) in Croydon is an outstanding success and a great model for other hip linear shopping strips with older style buildings and quirky shops and eateries.

The right mix, sympathetic upgrading/renovation/repurposing of older buildings with good operators providing products, services and an atmosphere that meet the needs of locals and visitors and street art/furniture to blend the precinct into an identifiable cluster are recipes for success.

The Jetty Rd, Largs strip would do well to replicate the success of Queen St Croydon.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#667 Post by crawf » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:03 pm

I quite like Largs Bay, it's a very underrated suburb of Adelaide. The beach isn't bad either

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#668 Post by Wayno » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:01 am

crawf wrote:I quite like Largs Bay, it's a very underrated suburb of Adelaide. The beach isn't bad either
Agreed. The Largs/Semaphore Beach area is awesome. Kilometres of boardwalks, lots of lawned area, the lovely largs pier hotel, neat little beachside cafes - I had breakfast here this morning. The area has a good relaxed feel about it...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

fast_forward
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: #PRO: Woodville West Urban Renewal

#669 Post by fast_forward » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:38 pm

I drove past this development today. A lot has happened since the last photo post in August. Some of the buildings look like they're almost complete.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#670 Post by crawf » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:22 am

This is such a great development, more of this in the burbs please.

eslampar
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: Kilkenny TOD

#671 Post by eslampar » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:29 pm

Some more info released from Charles Sturt Council i thought i would share as this topic seems to have an amazing amount of interest...

http://www.charlessturt.sa.gov.au/webda ... h_2012.pdf

Xaragmata

#672 Post by Xaragmata » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:23 am

Pics from Monday - apartment buildings on Alma Tce & Todville Street are largely complete:

Google satellite view is fairly recent, & looks like a few reproduction trust homes with tiled rooves among the townhouses behind the apartments.

Omicron

Re: #U/C: Woodville West Urban Renewal

#673 Post by Omicron » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:08 pm

I don't understand why balconies are made barely-useable. So often I see these tiny little balconies that can hardly fit a single chair and table (if that) with no shelter beyond a hopeless suggestion of eave and a flimsy umbrella. Surely a nice set of doors onto a larger balcony is a cheap way of making smaller apartments feel bigger for limited cost?

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#674 Post by monotonehell » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:04 pm

Omicron wrote:I don't understand why balconies are made barely-useable. So often I see these tiny little balconies that can hardly fit a single chair and table (if that) with no shelter beyond a hopeless suggestion of eave and a flimsy umbrella. Surely a nice set of doors onto a larger balcony is a cheap way of making smaller apartments feel bigger for limited cost?
Agree with this, although from what I can tell of my neighbours who have room-sized balconies (Alpha); a balcony is where you set up an outdoor dining table and chairs, some tasteful wall hangings etc, and then never use. Except maybe for the occasional sly smoke.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Omicron

#675 Post by Omicron » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:57 pm

monotonehell wrote:
Omicron wrote:I don't understand why balconies are made barely-useable. So often I see these tiny little balconies that can hardly fit a single chair and table (if that) with no shelter beyond a hopeless suggestion of eave and a flimsy umbrella. Surely a nice set of doors onto a larger balcony is a cheap way of making smaller apartments feel bigger for limited cost?
Agree with this, although from what I can tell of my neighbours who have room-sized balconies (Alpha); a balcony is where you set up an outdoor dining table and chairs, some tasteful wall hangings etc, and then never use. Except maybe for the occasional sly smoke.
In warmer weather, Omi's balcony would be in a permanent state of martini hour, followed by mojito lunch, wine afternoon, champagne evening, and so on.

Possibly I'd read in the natural light, too. Something productive like that.