News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
PeFe
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

#1096 Post by PeFe » Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:56 pm

Adelaide Metro buses all now accept tap and pay.

The trains are still a work in progress.

https://fb.watch/nqhw_iOMAY/?mibextid=Nif5oz

MT269
High Rise Poster!

#1097 Post by MT269 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:00 pm

The validators are awful though I'll admit. far too bright to the point where even drivers have been complaining about them. Sometimes I'm tempted to kung fu them.

Facing towards the rear is just plain stupid too. It would be better if they faced towards the front to reduce the sensory disturbance. There's a slim chance that I'm not the first to speak to a brick wall about them. The DIT doesn't give a rats about any travelers opinion though.

I don't understand why they can't be designed in a similar manner to the ones they are replacing. IE less bright, and smaller display that doesn't cause irritation. But then, making PT as inconvenint and uncomfortable as possible is the best way to enable patronage reductions. I'm glad that the none of the new electric buses have entered service yet, despite being nearly a year old. Their bodies don't appetise me.

PeFe

#1098 Post by PeFe » Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:39 pm

Adelaide's most used bus routes for 2023.....as revealed by Adelaide Metro.
Which bus services have emerged as this year’s leaders, securing their position as the most widely used on the network? 🤔🏆
Unveiling our top 10 for 2023 🥇 🎉
10.🚌 J2 (Greenwith to Harbour Town)
9. 🚌 106 (Magill to City)
8. 🚌 502 (Salisbury Interchange to City)
7. 🚌 300 (Suburban Connector)
6. 🚌 222 (Mawson Interchange to City)
5. 🚌 H20 (Glenelg Interchange to Paradise Interchange)
4. 🚌 H30 (West Lakes Centre Interchange to Paradise Interchange)
3. 🚌 J1 (Elizabeth Interchange to Glenelg)
2. 🚌 G10 (Marion Centre Interchange to Blair Athol)
1. 🚌 M44 (Marion Centre Interchange to Golden Grove Interchange)

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=Adelaide%20Metro
Just reinforces my dislike of the numbering system....a mish mash of letters and numbers. No logic....through buses that change numbers that in the CBD, letters that indicate buses run on certain roads...then they run on different roads...ugh!

The Knoll bus review was not all bad, the renumbering proposal was very good.

SBD

#1099 Post by SBD » Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:57 am

PeFe wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:39 pm
Which bus services have emerged as this year’s leaders, securing their position as the most widely used on the network? 🤔🏆

Just reinforces my dislike of the numbering system....a mish mash of letters and numbers. No logic....through buses that change numbers that in the CBD, letters that indicate buses run on certain roads...then they run on different roads...ugh!

Many of those "most used" routes cross the city centre and keep going. It would be interesting to know what proportion of passengers do not get on or off in the CBD but pass through it. I don't think the ticket system collects enough data to automatically identify full end-to-end journeys when people get off of one bus/train and get on another one to complete the journey, but it would at least get the direction of the second part. Our public transport is set to assume that most journeys start or end at the centre, which becomes self-reinforcing.

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#1100 Post by A-Town » Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:17 am

SBD wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:57 am
PeFe wrote:

Many of those "most used" routes cross the city centre and keep going. It would be interesting to know what proportion of passengers do not get on or off in the CBD but pass through it. I don't think the ticket system collects enough data to automatically identify full end-to-end journeys when people get off of one bus/train and get on another one to complete the journey, but it would at least get the direction of the second part. Our public transport is set to assume that most journeys start or end at the centre, which becomes self-reinforcing.
Which begs the question; should Adelaide Metro introduce tapping on and off like they do in Melbourne and Sydney? This would probably help to improve bus routes and schedules in the long run once enough data has been collected.

SBD

#1101 Post by SBD » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:53 pm

A-Town wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:17 am
SBD wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:57 am
PeFe wrote:

Which begs the question; should Adelaide Metro introduce tapping on and off like they do in Melbourne and Sydney? This would probably help to improve bus routes and schedules in the long run once enough data has been collected.
That could be used to help develop models of where people who use public transport actually travel. I suspect it would still show a fairly low level of cross-suburban journeys. The people who live in suburbs and work in other suburbs have probably already abandoned public transport and bought a car or bike.

My commute was about 20 minutes by car, about 30 one way and 45 the other by bike, and an hour and a half by public transport (limited to only two services per day). I rarely used the public transport, so tap-on/tap-off would provide zero useful information.

ChillyPhilly

#1102 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:09 am

Happy New Year to all!

I usually do Glenelg for NYE, but changed it up and went to Elder Park.

Granted, NYE is literally a once-in-a-year event, but the principle shows that if there is sufficient service, people will use it.

Hundreds if not thousands lined up for trams, trains and buses. To digress briefly, the nutty centre island tram stops need to be rebuilt.

Even the supplementary 'tram' buses were full when arriving in the CITY from Glenelg.

Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

cocoiadrop
Gold-Member ;)

#1103 Post by cocoiadrop » Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:23 am

It shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone that the free fares mixed with low frequencies would result in this overcrowding. It's half of why I didn't bother going to see the fireworks.

ChillyPhilly

#1104 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:46 am

cocoiadrop wrote:It shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone that the free fares mixed with low frequencies would result in this overcrowding. It's half of why I didn't bother going to see the fireworks.
I agree, but it is also that we've culturally accepted mediocrity and have underdeveloped and underplanned infrastructure built for much lower patronage.

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#1105 Post by A-Town » Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:22 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:09 am
Happy New Year to all!

I usually do Glenelg for NYE, but changed it up and went to Elder Park.

Granted, NYE is literally a once-in-a-year event, but the principle shows that if there is sufficient service, people will use it.

Hundreds if not thousands lined up for trams, trains and buses. To digress briefly, the nutty centre island tram stops need to be rebuilt.

Even the supplementary 'tram' buses were full when arriving in the CITY from Glenelg.
Agreed. I also caught the tram into the city last night and can't remember seeing it so busy before (both to the city and Glenelg).

At city intersections including Greenhill Rd, the tram really should be prioritised over cars to improve travels times and increase efficiency.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#1106 Post by Brucetiki » Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:27 am

I was (pleasingly) surprised to see the bus we were on (287) packed leaving the city after midnight.

I've seen trains/trams rammed to the rafters after NYE in the past, but thought the bus routes picked for all night services would have the usual numbers of passengers. How wrong I was.

Only downside was the constant 20-30 minute delays for the buses due to congestion on North Tce, but that's outside the buses control. Perhaps in future the timetabling should factor in the 20-30 minutes it takes buses to get through North Tce on NYE.

Modbury_Man
Gold-Member ;)

#1107 Post by Modbury_Man » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:01 pm

Traditionally there have been changes to AdelaideMetro timetables on the last Sunday of January each year. Will be interesting to see what changes occur this year - there was $30 million or so promised in the last State Budget for improving Mt Barker and Adelaide Hills bus services, as well as previous promises to improve buses in the Northern Suburbs once the Gawler line was 100% electric operation (which it now is).

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1108 Post by Norman » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:26 pm

The challenge will be hiring enough drivers to cover the extra services!

MT269
High Rise Poster!

#1109 Post by MT269 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:59 pm

The Adelaide leg of Transit systems seems to have sufficient drivers to the point where they're requesting them to go on leave. I'm sure there would be a modest number, who wouldn't mind transferring to Keolis Downer with the right incentive.

ChillyPhilly

#1110 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:57 pm

MT269 wrote:The Adelaide leg of Transit systems seems to have sufficient drivers to the point where they're requesting them to go on leave. I'm sure there would be a modest number, who wouldn't mind transferring to Keolis Downer with the right incentive.
Is this idea tenable with KD to lose its operations contract?