News & Developments: Port Adelaide

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
cammo
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: News & Developments: Port Adelaide

#1156 Post by cammo » Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:11 pm

claybro wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:14 pm

Ok.. am I missing something? In the early 90,s the Coles/Kmart “ hypermarket” based on a European model was opened on the current site to much fanfare. The Kmart merchandise was mixed in with the Cole’s food isles and vice versa. It was too confusing for customers, so the whole lot was separated back to seperate Cols/Kmart, with a dividing wall put in. The whole lot downsized and dumbed down. Now they are changing the name, and going back to the 30 year old concept that didn’t work previously??? In this day of counting every molecule of cow farts and exhaust emissions, are we really playing musical chairs with giant retail sites, and all the wasted resources that entails for no real change of function?
What makes you think it will be a Hypermarket concept? My understanding is it's still going to be a separate Woolies (largest in Australia apparently) and separate Big W. abc mentioned Hypermarkets would do well in Australia, but I don't think that's the concept here at Pt Plaza- just another woolies and Big W - but really big ones. Personally not a fan of the Hypermarket concept myself - I Recently tried shopping at Kauffland in Berlin and found the whole experience discombobulating.

The musical chairs of retailers is not really by choice. Kmart didn't renew their lease & is closing down - Coles wanted to renew but wouldn't take on the Kmart space, so Precision Group terminated Coles and leased the whole space to WOW. As a regular shopper there I'm glad - that Coles store has to be one of the crustiest in the country.

abc
Legendary Member!

#1157 Post by abc » Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:22 pm

Shopping at any new supermarket is confusing because you don't know where anything is.

Aussies love Bunnings and hypermarkets are supermarkets on Bunnings scale... actually bigger but the point stands.

cammo
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1158 Post by cammo » Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:51 pm

abc wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:22 pm
Shopping at any new supermarket is confusing because you don't know where anything is.

Aussies love Bunnings and hypermarkets are supermarkets on Bunnings scale... actually bigger but the point stands.
Yeh that must be it, I just didn't know where things were.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1159 Post by Nathan » Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:05 pm

abc wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:22 pm
Aussies love Bunnings
Do we though? Not much left for alternatives.

Abwolf
Gold-Member ;)

#1160 Post by Abwolf » Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:16 am

I heard many years ago from a staff member that Coles Port Adelaide's 'sideways' store orientation (aisles run side to side instead of front to back) is due to the coffin freezers being too difficult/ not cost effective to remove, and so even once the dividing wall went up on the once Super K Mart rendered this store layout a little strange, the freezers have dictated this weird layout. Will be interesting to see if Woolworths put the investment into correcting this since several of their newly renovated stores still feature a coffin freezer section at the back.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

cammo
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1161 Post by cammo » Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:24 pm

Abwolf wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:16 am
I heard many years ago from a staff member that Coles Port Adelaide's 'sideways' store orientation (aisles run side to side instead of front to back) is due to the coffin freezers being too difficult/ not cost effective to remove, and so even once the dividing wall went up on the once Super K Mart rendered this store layout a little strange, the freezers have dictated this weird layout. Will be interesting to see if Woolworths put the investment into correcting this since several of their newly renovated stores still feature a coffin freezer section at the back.

That's interesting, I always wondered why it was such a bizarre layout, that explains it.

I'm sure Woolies will completely gut both the Coles and Kmart floor plate and start from scratch.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#1162 Post by rev » Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:44 pm

Abwolf wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:16 am

Excuse my ignorance, but what's a coffin freezer :?:

Abwolf
Gold-Member ;)

#1163 Post by Abwolf » Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:01 pm

It's a freezer that is about waist high that you look down into rather than one with a door that stands in front of you. The Port Adelaide store never updated their freezers to the stand up model so they run down the center of the store, horizontally and presumably this was built into the store's footprint / slab making it difficult to remove.

cammo
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1164 Post by cammo » Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:42 pm

Does anyone have any inside info on the Rydges development on McLaren Pde? I assume it's been canned - as all of the signage with pics of the proposed hotel have now been removed from the site.

There is now a sign up advertising for a "unique leasing opportunity" with a picture of a disgusting 6 story non-descript box next to the lighthouse.

A real shame, as the design for the proposed Rydges would have looked superb in that spot.

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#1165 Post by SouthAussie94 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:27 am

Demolition works for the Quest 2 Hotel are underway.
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

Columbo
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1166 Post by Columbo » Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:44 pm

cammo wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:11 pm
What makes you think it will be a Hypermarket concept? My understanding is it's still going to be a separate Woolies (largest in Australia apparently) and separate Big W. abc mentioned Hypermarkets would do well in Australia, but I don't think that's the concept here at Pt Plaza- just another woolies and Big W - but really big ones. Personally not a fan of the Hypermarket concept myself - I Recently tried shopping at Kauffland in Berlin and found the whole experience discombobulating.

The musical chairs of retailers is not really by choice. Kmart didn't renew their lease & is closing down - Coles wanted to renew but wouldn't take on the Kmart space, so Precision Group terminated Coles and leased the whole space to WOW. As a regular shopper there I'm glad - that Coles store has to be one of the crustiest in the country.
I don't get to the Port Plaza very often but ventured down there this morning, compared to the rest of the centre Coles and K-Mart looks like a trip back in time, sadly without Holly's.
It will be interesting to see what sort of refit both stores get when Woolies and Big W move in.

Went across to the Chemist Warehouse in the old Port Mall area, probably a good thing that is bringing people in there otherwise it would look like that area was all but abandoned.

The whole are could and should be such a vibrant part of the state, hopefully that time is getting closer.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#1167 Post by I Follow PAFC » Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:51 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:35 pm
If I recall the former Smiths car yard is still vacant if Coles want that. Even a Coles Local might work by the soon to open Port Dock Station
Can't find it anymore but I have heard there are plans for some shops.
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#1168 Post by I Follow PAFC » Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:49 pm

SouthAussie94 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:27 am
Where is that ?
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

cammo
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1169 Post by cammo » Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:31 pm

I Follow PAFC wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:49 pm
SouthAussie94 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:27 am
Where is that ?
The block next to the British Hotel - where the Fodder Store used to be.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1170 Post by Will » Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:51 pm

A little bit of info about the Quest 2 project.

source: https://www.mossop.com.au/new-35m-hotel ... t-adelaide
New $35m Hotel Development for Port Adelaide
09/05/23

Plans have now been submitted for a new $35m Quest II Hotel development on Port Adelaide's riverfront which will comprise of 90 rooms across six storeys.

Mossop are pleased to again be collaborating with the Neville Smith Group and City Collective Architects in the development of this new hotel, following on from the successful delivery of the adjacent Quest hotel in 2016 .

Hans Ehman of the Neville Smith Group said “This hotel development will be a significant addition to the Port’s waterfront landscape and will provide a boost to the tourism sector, driving domestic and international visitor spend to the area”.

Located on North Parade, the new six storey hotel is set to add further commercial uplift, enhancing Port Adelaide’s future. It will offer guests apartment style accommodation with spectacular views overlooking the river and the hills.

Construction is due to begin at the end of 2023 and be completed mid 2025.