News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

#3091 Post by rev » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:43 am

SBD wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:13 am
rev wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:26 pm
VinyTapestry849 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:54 am

Yes, before the pandemic United were actually assessing Adelaide
Oh. First I heard of this (not an airline aficionado by any stretch).
Did a google search but couldn't find anything, got a link? Would be interesting to get an idea of what they are thinking as the airport were talking about flights to the USA.
See your own post from 2019. https://sensational-adelaide.com/forum/ ... 33#p183833
My post clearly says they overlooked Adelaide.

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3092 Post by SBD » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:50 am

rev wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:43 am
SBD wrote:
rev wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:26 pm

Oh. First I heard of this (not an airline aficionado by any stretch).
Did a google search but couldn't find anything, got a link? Would be interesting to get an idea of what they are thinking as the airport were talking about flights to the USA.
See your own post from 2019. https://sensational-adelaide.com/forum/ ... 33#p183833
Yes. You also said "Labor gov. were in talks with them".

VinyTapestry849
High Rise Poster!

#3093 Post by VinyTapestry849 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:51 am

That was when they had limited aircraft, they’ve now got 150 787 orders, we’ll see it happen eventually

VinyTapestry849
High Rise Poster!

#3094 Post by VinyTapestry849 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:53 am

That was when they had limited aircraft, they’ve now got 150 787 orders, we’ll see it happen eventually. But Adelaide Airport have explicitly said they want Cathay and China Southern back before pursuing new routes. When they get those airlines back, USA will be the target. After the USA then Tokyo will be the target.

VinyTapestry849
High Rise Poster!

#3095 Post by VinyTapestry849 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:54 am

Double posted, this website has a shitty interface

rev

#3096 Post by rev » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:45 pm

SBD wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:50 am
rev wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:43 am
SBD wrote:

Yes. You also said "Labor gov. were in talks with them".
There's a difference between what I said, and what Vinny said.
Just because the government was in talks with them, doesn't mean they were interested. Did we end up with United flying int/out of Adelaide?
I don't recall United being interested, hence when Vinny posted they were I was curious to read further about it.

Saltwater
High Rise Poster!

#3097 Post by Saltwater » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:59 am

I posted this last week but wasn't very clear. In it, United talk about their 150 x 787 orders, and while Adelaide isn't specifically mentioned, it does say this:

“There is a lot of potential [about Australia / NZ],” he said. “I’m not going to comment on specifics, but we absolutely have a lot of potential like you said with 150 Dreamliners coming.
“You can connect any two dots,” Quayle told Wayfarer."

https://www.hotelmanagement.com.au/2023 ... s-in-2024/

For reasons outlined already, Adelaide would be a good candidate. they already fly to Christchurch (population ~400k, as the major city on the South Island with population ~1m), so you'd think the economics would be similar. And they'd know there's a big market for Adelaideians looking to fly direct to the US without having to transit through Melbourne or Sydney, and United can then funnel into their US / North American network.

VinyTapestry849
High Rise Poster!

#3098 Post by VinyTapestry849 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:43 am

Saltwater wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:59 am
I posted this last week but wasn't very clear. In it, United talk about their 150 x 787 orders, and while Adelaide isn't specifically mentioned, it does say this:

“There is a lot of potential [about Australia / NZ],” he said. “I’m not going to comment on specifics, but we absolutely have a lot of potential like you said with 150 Dreamliners coming.

For reasons outlined already, Adelaide would be a good candidate. they already fly to Christchurch (population ~400k, as the major city on the South Island with population ~1m), so you'd think the economics would be similar. And they'd know there's a big market for Adelaideians looking to fly direct to the US without having to transit through Melbourne or Sydney, and United can then funnel into their US / North American network.
Can guarantee this won’t happen before we get China southern and Cathay back. It’s frustrating because those two are going to take a while to come back, and United are interested NOW, not in 5 years time, now. Bloody hell wish we didn’t have to wait on the Chinese all the time.

abc
Legendary Member!

#3099 Post by abc » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:47 am

Saltwater wrote:

South Island of NZ has a major tourist component for US travellers. Its not about the size of Christchurch, its about the tourism draw of the island.

Saltwater
High Rise Poster!

#3100 Post by Saltwater » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:35 am

On the flipside, other than tourism the South Island of NZ has bugger all industry (unless you count sheep farming), and their GDP per capita is significantly below Australia's. Granted the scenery in that part of NZ is beautiful, but there's a finite number of tourists that can be accommodated for in tourist towns like Queenstown with a resident population of just under 30,000.

South Australia has a lot to offer US visitors - they enjoy good food and wine (maybe we could knock Kiwi Sauv Blanc - yuck! off the top of their wine imports), beaches, scenery, wide open spaces and the "outback", and Adelaide has a lot of history and strong cafe culture. Supported by a targeted marketing campaign - and direct flights - we could increase the number of US tourist arrivals significantly. Plus there's defence, mining, healthcare and education, driving business passenger numbers between SA and the US towards the front of the plane.

Why do some always feel the need to sell SA so short?

rubberman
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3101 Post by rubberman » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:34 pm

VinyTapestry849 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:43 am
Saltwater wrote:

Can guarantee this won’t happen before we get China southern and Cathay back. It’s frustrating because those two are going to take a while to come back, and United are interested NOW, not in 5 years time, now. Bloody hell wish we didn’t have to wait on the Chinese all the time.
Hardly a surprise. We had a government that gave China the finger, then sucked up to the US. It's hardly unreasonable for the Chinese to say: Ok, get US tourists then.

In no way should we get bogged down in the politics of China vs the US. However, having made a decision to take sides, why expect China to carry on as if nothing happened? Plenty of other countries in the world for their citizens to travel to. We made a decision, there are consequences.

In practical terms, we now need to treat Chinese inbound tourism as a possibility that's just as likely as US tourists, or even less likely.

VinyTapestry849
High Rise Poster!

#3102 Post by VinyTapestry849 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:41 pm

rubberman wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:34 pm
VinyTapestry849 wrote:
Saltwater wrote:

Hardly a surprise. We had a government that gave China the finger, then sucked up to the US. It's hardly unreasonable for the Chinese to say: Ok, get US tourists then.

In no way should we get bogged down in the politics of China vs the US. However, having made a decision to take sides, why expect China to carry on as if nothing happened? Plenty of other countries in the world for their citizens to travel to. We made a decision, there are consequences.

In practical terms, we now need to treat Chinese inbound tourism as a possibility that's just as likely as US tourists, or even less likely.
no no, I wasn't mentioning politics. Adelaide Airport's director just specifically said he wants China Southern and Cathay back before any new routes. So we have to wait for the Chinese to come back before we let in United Airlines. I'm frustrated because United look eager to get into the Adelaide market, yet the airport wants to (for some stupid reason) hold off until the Chinese airlines return.

rev

#3103 Post by rev » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:16 pm

VinyTapestry849 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:41 pm
rubberman wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:34 pm
VinyTapestry849 wrote:

no no, I wasn't mentioning politics. Adelaide Airport's director just specifically said he wants China Southern and Cathay back before any new routes. So we have to wait for the Chinese to come back before we let in United Airlines. I'm frustrated because United look eager to get into the Adelaide market, yet the airport wants to (for some stupid reason) hold off until the Chinese airlines return.
Probably because those two markets/airlines were already developed? They probably want to bring things back to what they were, and then turn their focus on growing from that point.
I don't know how airport structures and that work, maybe someone can explain why they can't focus on bringing China Souther/Cathay/United/whoever else all at the same time?

Saltwater
High Rise Poster!

#3104 Post by Saltwater » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:01 pm

It's all very strange. Adelaide Airport could be considered privately owned, to the extent the ownership structure is:

UniSuper (51%) Hostplus (15%) IFM Investors (15%) Igneo Infrastructure Partners (15%) Perron Group (4%)

So as Super account holders, some of us will already "own" a part of the airport indirectly. I don't understand why they'd prioritise one international airline's flights over another. As a commercial operation they should be looking to maximise passenger numbers and revenue as much as possible, and stay out of international politics.

rev

#3105 Post by rev » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:21 pm

Saltwater wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:35 am
On the flipside, other than tourism the South Island of NZ has bugger all industry (unless you count sheep farming), and their GDP per capita is significantly below Australia's. Granted the scenery in that part of NZ is beautiful, but there's a finite number of tourists that can be accommodated for in tourist towns like Queenstown with a resident population of just under 30,000.

South Australia has a lot to offer US visitors - they enjoy good food and wine (maybe we could knock Kiwi Sauv Blanc - yuck! off the top of their wine imports), beaches, scenery, wide open spaces and the "outback", and Adelaide has a lot of history and strong cafe culture. Supported by a targeted marketing campaign - and direct flights - we could increase the number of US tourist arrivals significantly. Plus there's defence, mining, healthcare and education, driving business passenger numbers between SA and the US towards the front of the plane.

Why do some always feel the need to sell SA so short?
Not only the defence sector, but the space sector since we have the national space agency based here, is something that we should 1000% focus on with US flights and creating strong economic links in those sectors.