[COM] Oaklands Crossing | $174m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Message
Author
User avatar
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 2419
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:42 pm
Location: City
Has thanked: 552 times
Been thanked: 241 times

[COM] Re: Oaklands Crossing | $174m

#751 Post by SRW » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:24 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:44 pm
SRW wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:25 pm
Looks good! Much better effort than the new Bowden station.
Are you kidding? Bowden looks amazing!
Not saying it's bad, especially relative to other stations, but beyond the nice touch of red brick there's very little amenity for users particularly shelter.
Keep Adelaide Weird

EBG
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2111
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:49 pm
Has thanked: 699 times
Been thanked: 1321 times

[COM] Re: Oaklands Crossing | $174m

#752 Post by EBG » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:21 pm

Melbourne can replace 700 m of concrete tram track in 6 days Sat 23 Feb 2019 to Thurs 28th Feb 2019.
see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra5KWMUS4Ko

How long is it going to take Adelaide to replace the tram track from Victoria Sq to South Tce the same length ..6 weeks ... 6 months..... who knows??? it just shows what a bit of planning can archive.

User avatar
PeFe
Legendary Member!
Posts: 907
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:47 am
Has thanked: 39 times
Been thanked: 118 times

[COM] Re: Oaklands Crossing | $174m

#753 Post by PeFe » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:10 am

Wrong thread.

User avatar
Pistol
Legendary Member!
Posts: 910
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:46 pm
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 37 times
Been thanked: 33 times

[COM] Re: Oaklands Crossing | $174m

#754 Post by Pistol » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:09 am

SRW wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:25 pm
Looks good! Much better effort than the new Bowden station.
Bowden isn’t on the Seaford line...
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

User avatar
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 2419
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:42 pm
Location: City
Has thanked: 552 times
Been thanked: 241 times

[COM] Re: Oaklands Crossing | $174m

#755 Post by SRW » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:56 am

Pistol wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:09 am
SRW wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:25 pm
Looks good! Much better effort than the new Bowden station.
Bowden isn’t on the Seaford line...
Correct..?
Keep Adelaide Weird

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 307
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:31 pm
Has thanked: 44 times
Been thanked: 32 times

[COM] Re: Oaklands Crossing | $174m

#756 Post by OlympusAnt » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:25 pm

From DPTI FB page:

Image
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 110
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:00 pm
Has thanked: 104 times
Been thanked: 42 times

[COM] Re: Oaklands Crossing | $174m

#757 Post by NTRabbit » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:53 pm

That explains why they need more than a weekend to turn it on, the northern end may be a simple swap job but the southern end has to rip up rails so they can dig out and concrete the rest of the trench first

Ser Noit of Loit
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 222
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:12 pm
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 122 times

[COM] Re: Oaklands Crossing | $174m

#758 Post by Ser Noit of Loit » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:00 am

Weirdly enough one one of the poles looks like it's been completely rusted. Could this be from the sea breeze, this pole wasn't protected properly against rust but because the current path the line takes is going to be ripped up soon it's a waste of money to replace it?

Image

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 177
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:32 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 39 times

[COM] Re: Oaklands Crossing | $174m

#759 Post by PD2/20 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:19 am

Ser Noit of Loit wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:00 am
Weirdly enough one one of the poles looks like it's been completely rusted. Could this be from the sea breeze, this pole wasn't protected properly against rust but because the current path the line takes is going to be ripped up soon it's a waste of money to replace it?
This pole was installed last year to replace a gantry structure immediately west of the level crossing to allow the trench excavation to proceed. One of the overhead gantries over the station also had the leg on the south side replaced. Since they were only temporary, plain steel was used rather than the galvanised treatment normally used. The overhead structures being installed on the new track are all galvanised.

Scottyj77
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:33 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

[COM] Re: Oaklands Crossing | $174m

#760 Post by Scottyj77 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:55 am

They are moving at lightening speed here since the weekend closure of the rail line. Old tracks running through the station had been removed by early Sunday afternoon. The overhead wires had been removed on Saturday night (hence the road closure). They have three weeks to get a lot done.

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 307
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:31 pm
Has thanked: 44 times
Been thanked: 32 times

[COM] Re: Oaklands Crossing | $174m

#761 Post by OlympusAnt » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:11 pm

The trains are gone from this awful crossing, finally :applause: :applause:
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 177
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:32 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 39 times

[COM] Re: Oaklands Crossing | $174m

#762 Post by PD2/20 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:07 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:45 pm
Any word on whether the old station shelters might be reused elsewhere? With their length, you could cover two platforms at two separate stations...
I think the answer is no reuse. Two photos taken today of the canopy demolition. To have been reused the receiving station would have to have had side platforms at least as deep as the Oaklands platforms and with a platform rear vertical wall to which the canopy supports could be bolted. The third photo was taken in February showing the curved canopy supports attached to the back face of the platform.
1904170011.jpg
Citybound canopy partially demolished
1904170013.jpg
Canopy demolition rubble
1902040017.jpg
Citybound canopy, Feb 2019

Ser Noit of Loit
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 222
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:12 pm
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 122 times

[COM] Re: Oaklands Crossing | $174m

#763 Post by Ser Noit of Loit » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:55 pm

PD2/20 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:07 pm
Patrick_27 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:45 pm
Any word on whether the old station shelters might be reused elsewhere? With their length, you could cover two platforms at two separate stations...
I think the answer is no reuse. Two photos taken today of the canopy demolition. To have been reused the receiving station would have to have had side platforms at least as deep as the Oaklands platforms and with a platform rear vertical wall to which the canopy supports could be bolted. The third photo was taken in February showing the curved canopy supports attached to the back face of the platform.
1904170011.jpg
1904170013.jpg
1902040017.jpg
If that's true then that's poor planning. I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to store them somewhere and there are stations along the Belair line with shelters made in the Middle Ages that could do with an upgrade.

User avatar
omada
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 666
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:03 am
Location: Eden Hills
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 10 times

[COM] Re: Oaklands Crossing | $174m

#764 Post by omada » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:01 am

This whole upgrade is BS, it doesn't extend or upgrade PT at all, it's merely to satisfy motorists. The previous station was not even old and with some foresight, I agree with previous poster, they at least could reuse some materials for other station upgrades, but then that doesn't help our poor motorist does it? Bitter much you ask? Yes, I find it appalling in this time of undeniable climate change, that citizens and governments are still wedded to the idea of the personal motor vehicle. Rant over.

User avatar
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 2419
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:42 pm
Location: City
Has thanked: 552 times
Been thanked: 241 times

[COM] Re: Oaklands Crossing | $174m

#765 Post by SRW » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:18 am

omada wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:01 am
This whole upgrade is BS, it doesn't extend or upgrade PT at all, it's merely to satisfy motorists. The previous station was not even old and with some foresight, I agree with previous poster, they at least could reuse some materials for other station upgrades, but then that doesn't help our poor motorist does it? Bitter much you ask? Yes, I find it appalling in this time of undeniable climate change, that citizens and governments are still wedded to the idea of the personal motor vehicle. Rant over.
True, but road infrastructure will remain vital even in a climate sensible future. Chokepoints affect buses and freight movement too, and the trains won't take people everywhere.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bradj, mattblack and 13 guests