SA Economy

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: SA Economy

#376 Post by rhino » Thu May 16, 2019 10:19 am

how good is he wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 10:22 pm
Labor gave us AO and rightly or wrongly the NRAH.
Plus a couple of freeways, several road underpasses and rail overpasses, fixed Goodwood and Torrens junctions, a much enlarged convention centre, O'Bahn extension into the city, extended the railway system to Seaford and started electrification, got trams back into the city, etc etc ...
cheers,
Rhino

rev
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#377 Post by rev » Thu May 16, 2019 12:16 pm

how good is he wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 10:22 pm
I don’t know if it’s being prudent or the state Govt hasn’t got the money but I think that this Govt is lacking a big project/plan or even a big announcement from Marshall. There are trickles of economic activity but nothing I consider really bold - a legacy project if you will. Labor gave us AO and rightly or wrongly the NRAH. Is there anything on the horizon (say worth in the billions) that Marshall may actually implement in his 4 year term (or even propose after that?). Before being elected he talked about a 24/7 airport at Murray Bridge, re-routing the freight lines around the hills etc, $20m to commence the Glenelg Jetty redevelopment.. but they seem to have been all gone quiet. What is that actual plan/date for finishing the North-South Expressway, a second stadium, the new W&C hospital etc ? It seems all very vague to me. So are things actually happening below the surface or are they just being forgotten about (maybe due to a lack of $$$/resources)?
There is no grand plan by the Liberals for anything like that. They were hoping to get elected on the basis that people were tired of Labor being in government for so long, and tired of a few scandals or debacles.

A 24/7 freight airport? For a tiny 15 billion dollars worth of exports? Would make sense if exports were booming and existing infrastructure couldn't keep up. But our exports have grown by 2.9% over the last 5 years, hardly earth shattering figures. What would it cost anyway, $1, 2..3 billion even?
We do at least export more then we import. Our biggest export is alcohol apparently lol.

If you look at the below PDF, 20.5% of our exports are to China. Next is the USA with 8.1%. I think we need those direct links to Japan and the USA, even India, sooner rather then later, so that we aren't overly reliant on China and better diversify our export markets.

https://dfat.gov.au/trade/resources/Documents/sa.pdf

SBD
Legendary Member!

#378 Post by SBD » Thu May 16, 2019 12:55 pm

rev wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 5:47 pm
They is the government.

It's a stupid idea topping off an even stupider idea, by a stupid government whose big economic master stroke has been to either cut spending and services, propose a pie in the sky freight airport in the middle of bumfuck nowhere, or bringing in tens of thousands of foreign workers to fill skills shortages when we have some of the highest unemployment figures in the country topped off by allowing them to be paid less money then what locals would be paid for the same jobs/work.

Surely it breaches some sort of industrial relations laws?
Isn't it more that the government will allow the employers to pay migrants who work in regional SA up to 10% less than the same people would expect to be paid to do the same job in Sydney or Melbourne? I understood it that there was a floor price on the salary of migrants in those job classes, and it is way above what locals get paid in the regions for those jobs. Someone got hold of "10% less" and didn't think about "...less than what?".

What sorts of products is it economic to export by air? Where are these things produced? The airport is proposed for quite a long time in the future anyway, so the question needs to be whether there will be a demand to not bring things to Adelaide for export. I imagine its things like meat, seafood and vegetables (aside from mail). I don't know what we import by air to provide back-loads for the aircraft, either, nor where that would ultimately be destined.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#379 Post by how good is he » Thu May 16, 2019 12:57 pm

True Rhino but to balance it, Labor did have 16 years/4 terms.. So for a fair comparison maybe compare either against Labor’s first term (or even 25% of what they achieved overall) against Marshall’s first term (with 3 years still to go). Thoughts how they would compare?