SA Economy

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

Re: SA Economy

#796 Post by rev » Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:03 pm

So overall we lost 409 people interstate, the lowest number for all states/territories that had a negative interstate migration rate.
Only WA & Qld saw a net interstate migration increase.

As I said, these are small victories overall.

What are the statistics pre-covid if you can post those?

Things aren't going to suddenly turn around for SA overnight, even if the entire outback was opened up for mining exploration and extraction, it would still take years to get it all up and running. The potential oil and gas industry in the Great Australian Bite was going to take a decade at least to have all the onshore infrastructure to support it setup and going for example.

abc
Legendary Member!

#797 Post by abc » Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:11 pm

rev wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:03 pm
So overall we lost 409 people interstate, the lowest number for all states/territories that had a negative interstate migration rate.
Only WA & Qld saw a net interstate migration increase.

As I said, these are small victories overall.

What are the statistics pre-covid if you can post those?

Things aren't going to suddenly turn around for SA overnight, even if the entire outback was opened up for mining exploration and extraction, it would still take years to get it all up and running. The potential oil and gas industry in the Great Australian Bite was going to take a decade at least to have all the onshore infrastructure to support it setup and going for example.
quite a number of conditions there :lol:

I'll give another...the percentage of interstate leavers per population is actually higher in SA than Victoria

so okay, we beat NSW who are getting swamped by overseas arrivals with many white flighters moving to QLD

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#798 Post by Norman » Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:27 pm

South Australia has had negative interstate migration since the 1970s, as has New South Wales. It's been an ongoing issue for both states for a very long time.

abc
Legendary Member!

#799 Post by abc » Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:07 am

Norman wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:27 pm
South Australia has had negative interstate migration since the 1970s, as has New South Wales. It's been an ongoing issue for both states for a very long time.
QLD and WA have been booming for the same period, with Victoria booming from the 1990s until recently

SA began deindustrializing after Playford, the last premier with an economic vision for the state that was practical as opposed to a pipe dream

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#800 Post by mattblack » Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:42 pm

South Australia’s Record Exports Crack $18 Billion

Release date: 08/03/24

South Australia’s merchandise exports have hit a record high of $18.02 billion with the state outpacing the nation as the only jurisdiction to experience export growth, up 8.7 per cent in the year to January 2024.

The record export result is a major achievement for the SA economy and follows the ANZ’s Stateometer report for economic performance (to December 2023) which found South Australia’s economy continued to consistently outperform the national average.

Ahead of the South Australian Government’s trade mission to China next week, China remains South Australia’s largest trading partner with merchandise exports up 51.6 per cent to $3.6 billion – the highest figure on record.

The United States is South Australia’s second highest trading partner, with a 22 per cent increase to $1.8 billion. It experienced growth alongside India, up 12 per cent to $1.1 billion.

Our state's exports to ASEAN countries continued to grow to $4.99 billion, Thailand up 68 per cent to $1.1 billion and the Philippines up 2 per cent to $919 million.

Earlier this week, the Australian Government announced a $2 billion investment financing facility to boost investment in Southeast Asia as part of a suite of economic initiatives announced at the ASEAN-Australia Special Summit.

South Australia has longstanding relationships with ASEAN, with Martin Haese appointed as the Special Envoy to Singapore and Southeast Asia for Trade and Investment.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#801 Post by Jaymz » Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:40 pm

mattblack wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:42 pm
South Australia’s Record Exports Crack $18 Billion

Release date: 08/03/24

South Australia’s merchandise exports have hit a record high of $18.02 billion with the state outpacing the nation as the only jurisdiction to experience export growth, up 8.7 per cent in the year to January 2024.

The record export result is a major achievement for the SA economy and follows the ANZ’s Stateometer report for economic performance (to December 2023) which found South Australia’s economy continued to consistently outperform the national average.

Ahead of the South Australian Government’s trade mission to China next week, China remains South Australia’s largest trading partner with merchandise exports up 51.6 per cent to $3.6 billion – the highest figure on record.

The United States is South Australia’s second highest trading partner, with a 22 per cent increase to $1.8 billion. It experienced growth alongside India, up 12 per cent to $1.1 billion.

Our state's exports to ASEAN countries continued to grow to $4.99 billion, Thailand up 68 per cent to $1.1 billion and the Philippines up 2 per cent to $919 million.

Earlier this week, the Australian Government announced a $2 billion investment financing facility to boost investment in Southeast Asia as part of a suite of economic initiatives announced at the ASEAN-Australia Special Summit.

South Australia has longstanding relationships with ASEAN, with Martin Haese appointed as the Special Envoy to Singapore and Southeast Asia for Trade and Investment.

That is very good news. To be honest, I can't recall so much positive economic news for South Australia in my entire adult life (well into its third decade) and it's something i've followed a lot during that time.

I'm also pretty certain that copper exports are going to increase quite considerably in the next 5 - 10 years when BHP starts to realise its new copper province in SA.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#802 Post by mattblack » Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:16 am

Contrary to some on this forum, experts in this field with actual data seem to think that SA is doing more than alright.

South Australia’s economy consistently outperforms the nation

Release date: 07/03/24

South Australia’s economy is the only one to consistently outperform the rest of the nation over the past few years, according to a new report.

ANZ today released its Stateometer report for economic performance across the nation in the December quarter 2023.

The report noted that the SA and WA economies “lead the way”, with both states showing accelerating economic performance through the quarter.

ANZ said the SA economy “accelerated and is operating above trend” thanks to large rises in the consumer and housing components measured by ANZ.

The report also noted a “sense of optimism in SA” and follows a rise of 13.1 per cent in consumer confidence in the December quarter, according to the Westpac-Melbourne Institute survey.

It’s one of a number of reports recognising the strength of SA’s economy. In 2022-23 we recorded the fastest economic growth of all states, and for the first time ever, the CommSec State of the States report ranked our economy number one in the nation.

SA’s unemployment rate remains at near record lows at 4.0 per cent, below the national average of 4.1 per cent. Almost 40,000 more people are employed now than at the time of the state election in March 2022. Almost 66 per cent of these jobs are full-time.

While South Australia continues to demonstrate strength relative to the rest of the country, the looming slowdown in economic activity is beginning to show in the data, with overall local and national economic growth slowing in the December quarter.

abc
Legendary Member!

#803 Post by abc » Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:36 am

mattblack wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:16 am
Contrary to some on this forum, experts in this field with actual data seem to think that SA is doing more than alright.

South Australia’s economy is the only one to consistently outperform the rest of the nation over the past few years, according to a new report.

ANZ today released its Stateometer report for economic performance across the nation in the December quarter 2023.

The report noted that the SA and WA economies “lead the way”, with both states showing accelerating economic performance through the quarter.

ANZ said the SA economy “accelerated and is operating above trend” thanks to large rises in the consumer and housing components measured by ANZ.

The report also noted a “sense of optimism in SA” and follows a rise of 13.1 per cent in consumer confidence in the December quarter, according to the Westpac-Melbourne Institute survey.

It’s one of a number of reports recognising the strength of SA’s economy. In 2022-23 we recorded the fastest economic growth of all states, and for the first time ever, the CommSec State of the States report ranked our economy number one in the nation.

SA’s unemployment rate remains at near record lows at 4.0 per cent, below the national average of 4.1 per cent. Almost 40,000 more people are employed now than at the time of the state election in March 2022. Almost 66 per cent of these jobs are full-time.

While South Australia continues to demonstrate strength relative to the rest of the country, the looming slowdown in economic activity is beginning to show in the data, with overall local and national economic growth slowing in the December quarter.
this is a press release from the premier :D

did you really think no one would notice? :D

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#804 Post by mattblack » Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:55 pm

abc wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:36 am
mattblack wrote:

Sigh.......another vacuous response from abc.

Of course it's a government realease, you actually expect a government of any persation to not advertise good economic news. Not really well thought through if you thought that this will undermine the data.

If u have actual data that contradicts ANZ please feel free to post. Until then I'll file your response as :toilet:

abc
Legendary Member!

#805 Post by abc » Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:04 pm

mattblack wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:55 pm
abc wrote:
mattblack wrote:

Of course it's a government realease, you actually expect a government of any persation to not advertise good economic news. Not really well thought through if you thought that this will undermine the data.

If u have actual data that contradicts ANZ please feel free to post. Until then I'll file your response as :toilet:
I'd rather see a document that isn't spun politically. Literally the worst person to be providing an objective take on the economy of South Australia is the state premier. :D

You can reference ANZ all you want, but when the premier does it, its going to be cherry picked.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#806 Post by mattblack » Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:36 pm

abc wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:04 pm
mattblack wrote:
abc wrote:

I'd rather see a document that isn't spun politically. Literally the worst person to be providing an objective take on the economy of South Australia is the state premier. :D

You can reference ANZ all you want, but when the premier does it, its going to be cherry picked.
FFS. Login and look it up yourself.

https://research.anz.com

I'm guessing that won't be done because your either lazy, inept or don't want to deal with facts.

When you talk about literally, I think I trust the premier over yourself.

Can u please take your arguments to the pub if you don't have anything constructive instead of every thread decending into a debates of you parroting everything anti government.

abc
Legendary Member!

#807 Post by abc » Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:37 pm

mattblack wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:36 pm
abc wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:04 pm
mattblack wrote:

FFS. Login and look it up yourself.

https://research.anz.com

I'm guessing that won't be done because your either lazy, inept or don't want to deal with facts.

When you talk about literally, I think I trust the premier over yourself.

Can u please take your arguments to the pub if you don't have anything constructive instead of every thread decending into a debates of you parroting everything anti government.
look at you insulting me again...should I report you like you always do to me?

If I want to look at press releases from the premier I'll go to the gov site... I don't need to read them here. Maybe you should apply for a job holding corflutes or wearing sandwich boards for the ALP.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#808 Post by mattblack » Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:46 pm

Genuinely interested in SA development and the economy like many on this forum. Been posting for many, many years.

Really don't care about which political party it is that takes advantage of our resources.

Take it to the pub
Last edited by mattblack on Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

abc
Legendary Member!

#809 Post by abc » Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:16 pm

mattblack wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:46 pm
Take it to the pub
That goes for you... I can see you're rather wound up. I suggest you take a break and cool down.
Consider before you post political propaganda again.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#810 Post by mattblack » Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:20 pm

abc wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:16 pm
mattblack wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:46 pm
Take it to the pub
That goes for you... I can see you're rather wound up. I suggest you take a break and cool down.
Consider before you post political propaganda again.
People like u dont factor into my mental health.

Not going to take anything u say into consideration.

Take it to the pub.