[U/C] 269 North Terrace | 118m | 36 Levels | Student accommodation

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Message
Author
ozisnowman
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 324
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:34 pm
Been thanked: 16 times

[U/C] Re: 269 North Terrace | 118m | 36 Levels | Student accommodation

#376 Post by ozisnowman » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:05 pm

Nort wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:23 am
This must have a chance of being delayed or cancelled right now? With travel bans now in effect it might take years for international student numbers to recover.
Whats your reasoning for that? Are you expecting current world issue to take that long or are you expecting a large number of those students to not be alive or you expecting that they are going to change their mind regards their study (eg study no longer important to them they all want to become farmers etc)

EBG
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2272
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:49 pm
Has thanked: 784 times
Been thanked: 1519 times

[U/C] Re: 269 North Terrace | 118m | 36 Levels | Student accommodation

#377 Post by EBG » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:14 pm

What looks a very large crane base is being assemble over the foot path on North Tce, so it appears that the crane is going to be built up and over the foot path similar to Sofitel in Currie St. Please click on pictures for bigger.
Attachments
20200321_nt1.jpg
20200321_nt2.jpg

EBG
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2272
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:49 pm
Has thanked: 784 times
Been thanked: 1519 times

[U/C] Re: 269 North Terrace | 118m | 36 Levels | Student accommodation

#378 Post by EBG » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:46 pm

Later on Saturday crane base frame complete, so crane will actually straddle footpath on North Tce. Please click on picture for bigger.
Attachments
20200321_nt 3.jpg

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)
Posts: 4238
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 342 times
Been thanked: 477 times

[U/C] Re: 269 North Terrace | 118m | 36 Levels | Student accommodation

#379 Post by rev » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:25 am

ozisnowman wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:05 pm
Nort wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:23 am
This must have a chance of being delayed or cancelled right now? With travel bans now in effect it might take years for international student numbers to recover.
Whats your reasoning for that? Are you expecting current world issue to take that long or are you expecting a large number of those students to not be alive or you expecting that they are going to change their mind regards their study (eg study no longer important to them they all want to become farmers etc)
The world will not be the same world we know pre crisis.
Who knows what its going to look like.
But this virus crisis will change a lot of things.

Mpol03
Legendary Member!
Posts: 692
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:39 am
Has thanked: 318 times
Been thanked: 55 times

[U/C] Re: 269 North Terrace | 118m | 36 Levels | Student accommodation

#380 Post by Mpol03 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:16 pm

Lol not be live? They will be fine.
They may not be travelling OS to study but the post virus world will eventually find its footing. Humanity has been through a lot worse.

User avatar
ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1617
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:35 pm
Location: Adder-Laid, South Australia.
Has thanked: 296 times
Been thanked: 548 times
Contact:

[U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: 269 North Terrace | 118m | 36 Levels | Student accommodation

#381 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:18 pm

Mpol03 wrote:Lol not be live? They will be fine.
They may not be travelling OS to study but the post virus world will eventually find its footing. Humanity has been through a lot worse.
A vaccine/cure will come along and this crisis will end as quickly as it started.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

User avatar
Algernon
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1151
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:46 pm
Location: Moravia
Has thanked: 346 times
Been thanked: 159 times

[U/C] Re: 269 North Terrace | 118m | 36 Levels | Student accommodation

#382 Post by Algernon » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:27 pm

rev wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:25 am
ozisnowman wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:05 pm
Nort wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:23 am
This must have a chance of being delayed or cancelled right now? With travel bans now in effect it might take years for international student numbers to recover.
Whats your reasoning for that? Are you expecting current world issue to take that long or are you expecting a large number of those students to not be alive or you expecting that they are going to change their mind regards their study (eg study no longer important to them they all want to become farmers etc)
The world will not be the same world we know pre crisis.
Who knows what its going to look like.
But this virus crisis will change a lot of things.
It's a member of a virus family that we know how to make effective vaccines for.

We will have a recession, but when things are back in order we'll have a pretty strong bounce back because there was no cause from an economic fundamental standpoint.

Stop spreading panic.

Nort
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1216
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:08 pm
Has thanked: 267 times
Been thanked: 167 times

[U/C] Re: 269 North Terrace | 118m | 36 Levels | Student accommodation

#383 Post by Nort » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:43 am

ozisnowman wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:05 pm
Nort wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:23 am
This must have a chance of being delayed or cancelled right now? With travel bans now in effect it might take years for international student numbers to recover.
Whats your reasoning for that? Are you expecting current world issue to take that long or are you expecting a large number of those students to not be alive or you expecting that they are going to change their mind regards their study (eg study no longer important to them they all want to become farmers etc)
I'm not thinking it's the end of the world, but we probably are going to see a major drop in international student numbers below projections for the next few years as a knock-on.

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1859
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:41 pm
Location: Adelaide CBD, SA
Been thanked: 249 times

[U/C] Re: 269 North Terrace | 118m | 36 Levels | Student accommodation

#384 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:50 pm

Nort wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:43 am
ozisnowman wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:05 pm
Nort wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:23 am
This must have a chance of being delayed or cancelled right now? With travel bans now in effect it might take years for international student numbers to recover.
Whats your reasoning for that? Are you expecting current world issue to take that long or are you expecting a large number of those students to not be alive or you expecting that they are going to change their mind regards their study (eg study no longer important to them they all want to become farmers etc)
I'm not thinking it's the end of the world, but we probably are going to see a major drop in international student numbers below projections for the next few years as a knock-on.
Yeah, I think globalisation as we've known it is certainly going to diminish for a bit across many sectors, which is bad news for our massive tourism and university sector, but might open the window for new homegrown industries.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)
Posts: 4238
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 342 times
Been thanked: 477 times

[U/C] Re: 269 North Terrace | 118m | 36 Levels | Student accommodation

#385 Post by rev » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:21 pm

Algernon wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:27 pm
rev wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:25 am
ozisnowman wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:05 pm


Whats your reasoning for that? Are you expecting current world issue to take that long or are you expecting a large number of those students to not be alive or you expecting that they are going to change their mind regards their study (eg study no longer important to them they all want to become farmers etc)
The world will not be the same world we know pre crisis.
Who knows what its going to look like.
But this virus crisis will change a lot of things.
It's a member of a virus family that we know how to make effective vaccines for.

We will have a recession, but when things are back in order we'll have a pretty strong bounce back because there was no cause from an economic fundamental standpoint.

Stop spreading panic.
We will come out the other side of this a different world, that's a fact, not spreading panic. If you think life will go back to what it was before the Chinese-virus covid-19, then you are kidding your self and in need of such a reality check. Who knows, a dose of reality might be enough to get people like you to take this seriously enough to actually follow directions from health/government to help slow the spread of this virus.

This is a foreign virus to our immune systems. Stop acting like this is a common flu type virus, because it's not. Even doctors are saying its not.

FYI, 40% of those hospitalized are under the age of 50. Plenty of people under 40 and 30 have died already. Yes, even children are catching this virus contrary to popular belief among the meat heads and bimbos who packed Bondi.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)
Posts: 4238
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 342 times
Been thanked: 477 times

[U/C] Re: 269 North Terrace | 118m | 36 Levels | Student accommodation

#386 Post by rev » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:37 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:50 pm
Nort wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:43 am
ozisnowman wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:05 pm


Whats your reasoning for that? Are you expecting current world issue to take that long or are you expecting a large number of those students to not be alive or you expecting that they are going to change their mind regards their study (eg study no longer important to them they all want to become farmers etc)
I'm not thinking it's the end of the world, but we probably are going to see a major drop in international student numbers below projections for the next few years as a knock-on.
Yeah, I think globalisation as we've known it is certainly going to diminish for a bit across many sectors, which is bad news for our massive tourism and university sector, but might open the window for new homegrown industries.
It's a good thing as it will force governments to focus on boosting better existing industries or creating new industries.
A lot of the students are from China, for better or worse. Not to get too much into the political side of it, but an industry dependent on a semi hostile country isn't a good idea. If they diversify it and somehow manage to attract European, American, Indian, Japanese, South American students to be the majority instead of the Chinese students being the majority, sure no worries the foreign student industry will be just fine.

It's also a good idea to wind back globalization a little bit anyway, and make more things on our shores. British companies are being asked to produce respirator machines for hospitals right now to meet demand (because that's the only thing that can help keep your alive long enough by relieving the pressure of breathing so your immune system can stand a chance at fighting the virus, if you get to that stage), but they can't produce the modern types of those machines because guess what, the electronics are made in China.

We need to diversify our economies much much more then what they already are.

As for this building, well, if the foreign student market doesn't recover, I'm sure it can be used for low income housing, or converted into a budget hotel.

User avatar
Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2403
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:29 pm
Location: In your head
Has thanked: 1066 times
Been thanked: 142 times

[U/C] Re: 269 North Terrace | 118m | 36 Levels | Student accommodation

#387 Post by Ho Really » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:42 pm

rev wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:37 pm
[...]

As for this building, well, if the foreign student market doesn't recover, I'm sure it can be used for low income housing, or converted into a budget hotel.
Getting back on topic, yes the developer should keep this in mind.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)
Posts: 4238
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 342 times
Been thanked: 477 times

[U/C] Re: 269 North Terrace | 118m | 36 Levels | Student accommodation

#388 Post by rev » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:45 pm

Ho Really wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:42 pm
rev wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:37 pm
[...]

As for this building, well, if the foreign student market doesn't recover, I'm sure it can be used for low income housing, or converted into a budget hotel.
Getting back on topic, yes the developer should keep this in mind.

Cheers
Also on that, I'm sure that the lower levels perhaps could be re-worked into small offices. Surely it wouldn't be that hard.

EBG
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2272
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:49 pm
Has thanked: 784 times
Been thanked: 1519 times

[U/C] Re: 269 North Terrace | 118m | 36 Levels | Student accommodation

#389 Post by EBG » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:17 pm

Crane going up today, see crane news thread.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests