M1 South-Eastern Freeway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: M1 South-Eastern Freeway

#31 Post by Norman » Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:04 pm

muzzamo wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:36 am
I noticed yesterday when driving through that the new variable speed limit signs in the tunnel and on the approaches are bidirectional, ie they are on both sides of the gantry. You can see this in the renders if you look close enough.

Presumably this is so they can close one tunnel off during and emergency and also when they are doing maintenance and go contraflow.
IMG_4939.pngIMG_4940.png
Interesting, good pick up!

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#32 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri May 17, 2024 3:08 pm

Channel 7 and InDaily reporting that a band-aid solution has been devised, with traffic lights to be moved 100m west along Cross Road.

https://www.indaily.com.au/news/adelaid ... ck-crashes
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#33 Post by SouthAussie94 » Fri May 17, 2024 7:47 pm

Why not just install a concrete barrier in the median strip of Cross Rd?

Sure, this wouldn't stop traffic heading west on Cross Rd from being hit by an out of control truck, but neither would moving the stop line for the intersection further east.
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#34 Post by Goodsy » Fri May 17, 2024 8:13 pm

SouthAussie94 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 7:47 pm

Sure, this wouldn't stop traffic heading west on Cross Rd from being hit by an out of control truck, but neither would moving the stop line for the intersection further east.
There's probably not enough concrete in all of South Australia to build a wall thick and tall enough to stop a runaway truck.

IMO, as a truck driver who descends the freeway once or twice a month, there's nothing that can be done to fix the problem with the intersection in its current configuration.

An arrestor bed wouldn't have saved that last truck from rolling.. He just took the left turn way too fast, could have happened at any other intersection.

I see more smoking brakes going down Grand Junction road towards the Gepps Cross intersection than going down the freeway

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#35 Post by SouthAussie94 » Fri May 17, 2024 9:27 pm

Goodsy wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 8:13 pm
SouthAussie94 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 7:47 pm

There's probably not enough concrete in all of South Australia to build a wall thick and tall enough to stop a runaway truck.

IMO, as a truck driver who descends the freeway once or twice a month, there's nothing that can be done to fix the problem with the intersection in its current configuration.

An arrestor bed wouldn't have saved that last truck from rolling.. He just took the left turn way too fast, could have happened at any other intersection.

I see more smoking brakes going down Grand Junction road towards the Gepps Cross intersection than going down the freeway
The existing median is about 2m wide.

A 2m wide, 1m tall barrier would surely be as truck proof as you can get. Obviously wouldn't be great for the poor driver of anything that hit it though.

I guess this just leads to the discussion thats happened countless times in the past. What's the long term plan for the intersection and the freight route from Murray Bridge to Adelaide?
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation