[U/C] Main South Road & Victor Harbor Road Upgrade

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
A-Town
High Rise Poster!

[U/C] Re: Main South Road & Victor Harbor Road Upgrade

#106 Post by A-Town » Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:22 am

neoballmon wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:14 am
It's also worth pointing out just how much growth this area has experienced. When they did the Victor Harbor Road Junction 10ish years ago, the finished works were great and held up capacity!
Prior to that, Victor Harbor Road northbound had one lane turning right through a stop sign, into their own lane. South Road northbound went from 2 lanes to 1, to join with the lane from Victor Harbor Road. This led to 2 lanes at the Seaford Road intersection - which may have actually been better than the merging disaster it is currently.

So anything done here needs to take into account that the area, but Aldinga especially, will continue to grow rapidly!

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk
Very good points, and the future growth of Hackham, Seaford Heights, Seaford Meadows, Moana, Aldinga and Sellicks Beach is only going to put more pressure on this section of road. Not to mention the increased levels of tourism that McLaren Vale is experiencing too.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#107 Post by Eurostar » Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:10 am

A-Town wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:22 am
neoballmon wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:14 am
It's also worth pointing out just how much growth this area has experienced. When they did the Victor Harbor Road Junction 10ish years ago, the finished works were great and held up capacity!
Prior to that, Victor Harbor Road northbound had one lane turning right through a stop sign, into their own lane. South Road northbound went from 2 lanes to 1, to join with the lane from Victor Harbor Road. This led to 2 lanes at the Seaford Road intersection - which may have actually been better than the merging disaster it is currently.

So anything done here needs to take into account that the area, but Aldinga especially, will continue to grow rapidly!

Very good points, and the future growth of Hackham, Seaford Heights, Seaford Meadows, Moana, Aldinga and Sellicks Beach is only going to put more pressure on this section of road. Not to mention the increased levels of tourism that McLaren Vale is experiencing too.
With all the upgrades hear and there over the years, extending the Southern Expressway to Aldinga might of been a wiser choice . The current section between Griffiths Drive and Aldinga Beach Road will be almost expressway/freeway standard. A simple flyover at the junction of the Southern Expressway/Main South Road. At Seaford Road/Victor Habor junctions the expressway could go over both those junctions, and same for Griffiths Road junction.

Archer
High Rise Poster!

#108 Post by Archer » Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:28 am

I recently received notification of a Major Traffic Switch planned for this weekend for the Main South Road Upgrade Project. This switch will see traffic using the new Maslin Beach/Tatachilla Road Overpass for the first time. Maslin Beach Road will also re-open mid September with limited traffic movements onto Main South Road (Left in and Left Out of Maslin Beach Road only).

Full Details: https://fcalliance.com.au/assets/volume ... PROVED.pdf.

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#109 Post by Aidan » Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:05 am

Driving along Victor Harbor Road this week I was quite astonished to find they’re building a roundabout on the section between Old Noarlunga and McLaren Vale!
Why isn’t that intersection being grade separated?
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

ChillyPhilly

#110 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:24 am

Aidan wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:05 am
Driving along Victor Harbor Road this week I was quite astonished to find they’re building a roundabout on the section between Old Noarlunga and McLaren Vale!
Your guess is as good as anyone else's, but presumably it's to slow traffic and reduce bottlenecks in the final northern stretch of the road to Main South Road.

Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Archer
High Rise Poster!

#111 Post by Archer » Thu Sep 14, 2023 2:10 pm

Aidan wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:05 am
I suspect that insufficient traffic volumes from Robinson & Quarry Roads onto Victor Harbor Road meant that the cost of full grade separation wasn't justified. I do think that must have been a pretty close call though.

Having said that, I've been using the roundabout every Saturday since it opened and it certainly has made it much easier to turn right from Robinson road onto Victor Harbor Road towards McLaren Vale, even in its unfinished single lane state. I am unsure however, how that will hold up when peak traffic northbound on Victor Harbor Road occurs, I think getting out of Robinson Road at that time will still be a nightmare, but we'll just have to wait and see.
Last edited by Archer on Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#112 Post by neoballmon » Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:33 pm

Current night works in this section should see traffic switch to the new road south of the roundabout within 2 weeks, then a few weeks after that for the Northern half.
Will be great once 2 lanes are open because people just don't know how to drive through this area.

Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#113 Post by neoballmon » Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:15 pm

Another traffic switch has occurred this morning on Victor Harbor Road, between the new roundabout and McLaren Vale.
It's switched back to the original roadway, presumably so they can lay the final layer on the new alignment, and do other finishing works, such as a sealed shoulder (which has been done on the original alignment prior to it opening today).
Concrete barriers still in place for the majority of the section and line marking at the Seaview intersection look like they're they're long-ish term, so I expect at least a month until it's 2 lanes in each direction.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#114 Post by neoballmon » Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:17 pm

I also drove the length of South Road last night, and it's progressing quite well. Tatachilla Road bridge is open in one lane each way, and the majority of the corridor has at least base layer laid.
Biggest delay will definitely be the bridge, but I think outside of this, most of the project will start opening up by the end of the year.

Archer
High Rise Poster!

#115 Post by Archer » Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:56 pm

Pedlar Creek Bridge Set to open tomorrow, with the demolition of the existing bridge to start within weeks, 7news story below:

https://fb.watch/nD4oBRyZpD/

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

[U/C] [U/C] Re: Main South Road & Victor Harbor Road Upgrade

#116 Post by neoballmon » Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:14 pm

I dont understand why they're demolising the old bridge.

I know that it's probably nearing the end of its useful life as a roadway, but surely as a pedestrian/cyclist bridge, it would have another 50 odd years of service! I can think of several bridges that only remain for these uses and haven't seen a car across them for decades.

I know the coast to vines train veers off just before this bridge, but with Aldinga growing, who's to say cycling towards the area won't become more popular, and I doubt the width of the new bridge allows much room, if any, for pedestrians and cyclists.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

[U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: Main South Road & Victor Harbor Road Upgrade

#117 Post by Spotto » Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:17 pm

neoballmon wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:14 pm

I know that it's probably nearing the end of its useful life as a roadway, but surely as a pedestrian/cyclist bridge, it would have another 50 odd years of service! I can think of several bridges that only remain for these uses and haven't seen a car across them for decades.

I know the coast to vines train veers off just before this bridge, but with Aldinga growing, who's to say cycling towards the area won't become more popular, and I doubt the width of the new bridge allows much room, if any, for pedestrians and cyclists.

The new bridge has a wide shared path based on the designs, the old bridge would be insanely wide for a simple pathway.

I think the main factor would be that demolition now while works are ongoing would be much cheaper than demolishing it in a separate project once it reaches end of life as a pathway.

Archer
High Rise Poster!

[U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: Main South Road & Victor Harbor Road Upgrade

#118 Post by Archer » Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:05 pm

Spotto wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:17 pm
neoballmon wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:14 pm

The new bridge has a wide shared path based on the designs, the old bridge would be insanely wide for a simple pathway.

I think the main factor would be that demolition now while works are ongoing would be much cheaper than demolishing it in a separate project once it reaches end of life as a pathway.
Post on the SA Infrastructure and Transport Facebook page has some great photo's of the new bridge ready for traffic and clearly showing the incorporated shared use path:
https://www.facebook.com/DFITSA/posts/p ... NthGp2ZcSl

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#119 Post by neoballmon » Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:09 pm

Yeah I did see those photos earlier, I can see the shared path, so demolition makes more sense now. Thanks

ChillyPhilly

#120 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:59 pm

A shared use path is great, but if we're to be serious about boosting cycling, then dedicated bike infrastructure is needed over shared use paths.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.