[PRO] Crows HQ at Thebarton Oval

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[PRO] Re: Crows HQ at Thebarton Oval

#16 Post by [Shuz] » Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:36 pm

It is overwhelmingly not supported by residents in the local area. I don't know where your getting your sources from.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Saltwater
High Rise Poster!

#17 Post by Saltwater » Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:36 pm

Depends who you're speaking to I guess. I live in the inner west, have family that live on streets leading up to Thebarton Oval, and they and others I speak to in the area are generally supportive and can see the benefits, or don't have a strong opinion.

abc
Legendary Member!

#18 Post by abc » Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:08 am

Saltwater wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:46 am
The bowling club would have had to move anyway with the northern tunnel transitioning around there. They've found a new spot for the bowling club along the river, up past Denron Metals. Warriappendi School is also relocating nearby, great to see some of that land being re-used.

As for the Crows, the argument is they need another oval the same size as the MCG to train on, given Vic teams like Collingwood and Richmond get to play there every week. Personally I feel that if they're good enough, the size of the oval shouldn't matter.

Lastly while I can understand the concerns around loss of trees and access to the oval at some times, overall the development is a net-win for the inner west. It will be good for local businesses, opens up Thebarton Oval (which is fenced off and currently inaccessible most of the time), and based on feedback from residents I've spoken to in the area, is generally supported.
what makes you think it wont be fenced off in the future? do you think they're going to spend all this money for people to walk their dogs on the oval?

Saltwater
High Rise Poster!

#19 Post by Saltwater » Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:41 am

Unfortunately my tardis is out of action so i can't see into the future, but FWIW there is a commitment the oval "will be open to the community outside of designated match and training times", and "As part of the state government's funding agreement, the Crows will be required to publish Thebarton Oval's public opening times on its website"

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-10-08/ ... /102948660

Sounds ok to me. I'd love to take my boys to kick a footy on Thebarton oval when it's not being used, but unfortunately that's not an option now as the gates are locked and it's like a fortress.

abc
Legendary Member!

#20 Post by abc » Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:41 pm

Saltwater wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:41 am
Unfortunately my tardis is out of action so i can't see into the future, but FWIW there is a commitment the oval "will be open to the community outside of designated match and training times", and "As part of the state government's funding agreement, the Crows will be required to publish Thebarton Oval's public opening times on its website"

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-10-08/ ... /102948660

Sounds ok to me. I'd love to take my boys to kick a footy on Thebarton oval when it's not being used, but unfortunately that's not an option now as the gates are locked and it's like a fortress.
that reminds me of when the government told us the site of the old Royal Adelaide Hospital would be returned to parklands

Patrick_27

#21 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:54 pm

What I want to know is why Mali and his government are handing more $$ to AFC, how the hell is this a 'community' investment? Improvements to Thebarton Oval and Kings Reserve that ultimately benefit the AFC. IF this were an Arts organisation/institution asking for a little financial kicker to get a project over the line, the state government would fob them off from the onset with the argument that either the business case didn't stack up or they're 'investing elsewhere' in that industry.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#22 Post by gnrc_louis » Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:05 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:54 pm
What I want to know is why Mali and his government are handing more $$ to AFC, how the hell is this a 'community' investment? Improvements to Thebarton Oval and Kings Reserve that ultimately benefit the AFC. IF this were an Arts organisation/institution asking for a little financial kicker to get a project over the line, the state government would fob them off from the onset with the argument that either the business case didn't stack up or they're 'investing elsewhere' in that industry.
Because populism and footy - the two things which make Mali tick.

ChillyPhilly

#23 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:23 am

The Crows at Thebarton is a yikes.

The State Government throwing in millions is another, bigger yikes.

This project stinks and feels fishy.

No regard given to current users of the reserve and surrounds, including MA Hawks, a local SAASL club.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

abc
Legendary Member!

#24 Post by abc » Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:43 am

the ALP and the AFL are joined at the hip

they work for one another

Nort

#25 Post by Nort » Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:13 am

I'm sure that the community space will be well respected.

Just like the brickworks markets site across the road, where a community minded space (albeit one that was in need of an overhaul) was replaced with a shopping center with the kiln and market hall spaces locked off and left to rot away.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#26 Post by Brucetiki » Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:43 am

Lets get this development moving along and happening

ChillyPhilly

[PRO] Re: [PRO] Re: Crows HQ at Thebarton Oval

#27 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:29 pm

Nort wrote:I'm sure that the community space will be well respected.

Just like the brickworks markets site across the road, where a community minded space (albeit one that was in need of an overhaul) was replaced with a shopping center with the kiln and market hall spaces locked off and left to rot away.
The Brickworks 'redevelopment' is total rubbish. Erosion of some local soul.

Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

noted
High Rise Poster!

#28 Post by noted » Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:33 am

Saltwater wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:36 pm
Depends who you're speaking to I guess. I live in the inner west, have family that live on streets leading up to Thebarton Oval, and they and others I speak to in the area are generally supportive and can see the benefits, or don't have a strong opinion.
I'm sure it does. As a local resident I am not happy about it. I enjoy a game of football enough, but I hate the corporate spin and bullshit of the AFL (let alone the government and the Council). We basically received a master-class in gaslighting from them, and while the outcome is not as bad as it could have been, I for one still have a very sour taste in my mouth over it all.

Saltwater
High Rise Poster!

#29 Post by Saltwater » Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:21 am

I hate the AFL as much as anyone, but the current state of Thebarton Oval, the pool and the facilities (if you could even call them that based on the state of the skate park) leave much to be desired.

Ideally when they built the brickworks development they would have had more vision and incorporated into the Kings Reserve site more holistically, similar to the vision that's been published for the old brewery site - just down the road - earlier today. Instead we are left with the old brickworks site sitting unused and dilapidated, a mall that's barely big enough, a disfunctional carpark, a dilapidated pool with it's own upgrade planned, and people upset the Crows will take over some of the land currently locked away by the very-underutilised Thebby Oval site.

The whole area could have been much better thought out including usage of the old brickworks site, mixed use development, parks and open spaces, and connectivity between Kings Reserve and the river.

abc
Legendary Member!

#30 Post by abc » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:36 pm

noted wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:33 am
Saltwater wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:36 pm
I'm sure it does. As a local resident I am not happy about it. I enjoy a game of football enough, but I hate the corporate spin and bullshit of the AFL (let alone the government and the Council). We basically received a master-class in gaslighting from them, and while the outcome is not as bad as it could have been, I for one still have a very sour taste in my mouth over it all.
I preferred the time when we had a decent local comp. AFL sucks. Its over politicized and the SA teams are just making up the numbers every year.