AFL Gather Round

All event related discussion should go here.. e.g. Clipsal 500, Womadelaide, SALA, etc.
claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

AFL Gather Round

#1 Post by claybro » Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:40 pm

Surprised no one has posted here about this. I don't recall an event when Adelaide has been so present in the media since I moved to Perth 10 years ago. Regardless of your thoughts on sport or AFL in particular, this event has captured media attention and in a very positive way. Have not heard the usual barbs about Adelaide by interstate media related to this event-surprising in football mad WA. Its great to see, and full marks to the SA Gov for pushing this event- it has generated a really positive buzz on this side of the Nullarbor.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: AFL Gather Round

#2 Post by SRW » Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:10 pm

claybro wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:40 pm
Surprised no one has posted here about this. I don't recall an event when Adelaide has been so present in the media since I moved to Perth 10 years ago. Regardless of your thoughts on sport or AFL in particular, this event has captured media attention and in a very positive way. Have not heard the usual barbs about Adelaide by interstate media related to this event-surprising in football mad WA. Its great to see, and full marks to the SA Gov for pushing this event- it has generated a really positive buzz on this side of the Nullarbor.
Not a footy fan, and scared to think how much we've paid for the privilege -- but it is a privilege. I hope the rain is not too much this weekend so the visitors can make the most of it.

And yes, the media presence is noticeable. I've been forever puzzled why there's no similar effort to bring broadcasters (tv & radio) over during Fringe, WOMAD etc each year.
Last edited by SRW on Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Llessur2002

#3 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:12 pm

SRW wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:10 pm
Not a footy fan, and scared to think how much we've paid for the privilege
$15 million was the figure I saw quoted this morning for hosting next year's event.

[Shuz]

#4 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:08 pm

Apparently something like 100,000 visitors have come here just for the games. Quite the tourism and economic bonanza.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#5 Post by SRW » Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:39 pm

I've seen so many figures tossed around I don't trust any at this stage. $14 million to host? 50,000 interstate visitors? Presumed $20 million economic impact (less hosting fee)? It'll be interesting to see how frank and reliable the post event assessment will be. Perhaps the only thing currently certain is that accomodation is booked out.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Llessur2002

#6 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:02 pm

Judging by what they charged me for two mid-strength drinks last night it appears that the Oval is attempting to claw back the $15 million on beverages alone :cheers:

[Shuz]

#7 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:12 pm

Well assuming every patron buys 2 beers per game and you have roughly 45k per hame at AO, they're set to make at least $6m dollars.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#8 Post by rev » Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:41 pm

This should be looked at in a broader sense and not just this weekends games.
A lot of people who otherwise may not have ever come to Adelaide before are here, and many will likely return.
They'll go back to their respective states and have positive things to say about SA, which may well generate more people visiting down the track.

Next year the government wants to host it again this time showcasing the Barossa.

abc
Legendary Member!

#9 Post by abc » Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:45 pm

SRW wrote:
claybro wrote:
Not a footy fan, and scared to think how much we've paid for the privilege -- but it is a privilege. I hope the rain is not too much this weekend so the visitors can make the most of it.

And yes, the media presence is noticeable. I've been forever puzzled why there's no similar effort to bring broadcasters (tv & radio) over during Fringe, WOMAD etc each year.
paid quite a bit apparently

the AFL wanted to hold it in Sydney first for obvious reasons but the SA govt paid up for it

claybro

#10 Post by claybro » Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:59 am

abc wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:45 pm
[quote=SRW post_id=210143 time=<a href="tel:1681443606">1681443606</a> user_id=1217]
[quote=claybro post_id=210142 time=<a href="tel:1681441838">1681441838</a> user_id=5463]

[/quote]

the AFL wanted to hold it in Sydney first for obvious reasons but the SA govt paid up for it
[/quote]
abc wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:45 pm
SRW wrote:
claybro wrote:

It was between Adelaide and Sydney, and NSW offered more money, but the AFL wanted to guarantee success of the first event , and thought Adelaide offered a safer bet attendance wise. Smart move … half empty stadiums in Sydney for lesser games would not have generated the same atmosphere. Mid sized events like this, are also a great fit for a mid sized city like Adelaide. This event would be lost in Sydney and not have created the same buzz.

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#11 Post by A-Town » Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:46 am

claybro wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:59 am
It was between Adelaide and Sydney, and NSW offered more money, but the AFL wanted to guarantee success of the first event , and thought Adelaide offered a safer bet attendance wise. Smart move … half empty stadiums in Sydney for lesser games would not have generated the same atmosphere. Mid sized events like this, are also a great fit for a mid sized city like Adelaide. This event would be lost in Sydney and not have created the same buzz.
Surprised to hear that NSW offered more money to host, even more surprised that the AFL turned it down!

Having said that, Adelaide was always a safe bet, and our local media have promoted it far more than it would have ever been promoted in Sydney. The national media coverage has also been huge as both breakfast TV shows were broadcasting from Elder Park yesterday morning.

Adelaide's biggest advantage, outside of being a football city, is the proximity of Adelaide Oval to the CBD. Having tens of thousands of fans easily able to walk to the ground from the city is something that cannot be matched in Sydney, or any other city excluding Melbourne.

Full credit to Mali for pushing hard to host the event. The AFL seemed to have locked in Sydney early on, but Mali sold Adelaide and SA superbly to the league, and it's paid off nicely. We are a lock in to host it next year and possibly 2025 too, before it's rotated across the country.

abc
Legendary Member!

#12 Post by abc » Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:55 am

what's in it for the AFL though?

the total attendance is much less than a normal round and Adelaide isn't a growth market like Sydney and Brisbane, or even Perth who may push for a third team soon

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#13 Post by A-Town » Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:02 am

abc wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:55 am
what's in it for the AFL though?

the total attendance is much less than a normal round and Adelaide isn't a growth market like Sydney and Brisbane, or even Perth who may push for a third team soon
It's an additional round so there's extra revenue from TV, league sponsors etc. Bidding from the states (estimated at $15m from SA this year) goes straight into the AFL's coffers and then distributed back to clubs and players. There's also a lot of free marketing for the sport and the league, and the opportunity for local clubs around the city and state to capitalise on the increased interest.

You are right re Sydney and Brisbane being growth markets, and it will be moved to those cities in the next few years, but Adelaide was the right city to host the inaugural event so it can establish itself successfully.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#14 Post by rev » Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:00 pm

A-Town wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:46 am
claybro wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:59 am
Surprised to hear that NSW offered more money to host, even more surprised that the AFL turned it down!

Having said that, Adelaide was always a safe bet, and our local media have promoted it far more than it would have ever been promoted in Sydney. The national media coverage has also been huge as both breakfast TV shows were broadcasting from Elder Park yesterday morning.

Adelaide's biggest advantage, outside of being a football city, is the proximity of Adelaide Oval to the CBD. Having tens of thousands of fans easily able to walk to the ground from the city is something that cannot be matched in Sydney, or any other city excluding Melbourne.

Full credit to Mali for pushing hard to host the event. The AFL seemed to have locked in Sydney early on, but Mali sold Adelaide and SA superbly to the league, and it's paid off nicely. We are a lock in to host it next year and possibly 2025 too, before it's rotated across the country.
Another benefit the AFL has highlighted is the ease with which other clubs supporters can get here, Adelaide being in a kind of central position.
As much as I'd love for it to be held here permanently, I think it'll be good to share it around between SA, NSW, WA, QLD and TAS, instead of a bidding war.
The only cost to the states should be ensuring venues are up to scratch and putting on a festival surrounding the weekends games.

Hopefully one outcome from this is that the AFL has now seen that it's possible to hold more then one AFL match per non-Victorian ground each weekend, and Port and Crows can both play at home on the same weekend, and so on with the other non-Vic clubs. Which would be another benefit to come from this gather round.

abc
Legendary Member!

#15 Post by abc » Sat Apr 15, 2023 5:14 pm

One thing holding it back from growing here is the lack of another stadium that can hold more than 10k people... let alone 30k needed as the double headers at best can only get a ~20k average over 2 games and atmosphere suffers having a half empty stadium for each game.