News & Discussion: Other Transport Projects

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

Re: News & Discussion: Other Transport Projects

#676 Post by rev » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:38 pm

Modbury_Man wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:53 pm
Looking on Google Maps I would say a route could be -

Bald Hills Rd, right Old Princes Hwy, left Nairne-Woodside Rd, right Onkaparinga Valley Rd, left Woodside Rd, right Main St Lobethal, left Cudlee Creek Rd, left Gorge Rd, right Tippett Rd, left North East Rd, left Lower North East Rd to Grand Junction Rd. Definitely alot of curves that would need to be straightened out and bridges widened/strengthened!
Nah you wouldn't turn those sorts of roads into a freeway.

For example you would connect a new freeway just before summit road near Mt Barker Summit, and go between Nairne and Blakiston, then over the right of Oakbank up past Woodside and Lobethal, then tunnel through those hills and come out near Paracombe and connect to GJR.
Then turn GJR into a freeway for about 7km up towards the prisons, where it would go north west between the, follow the alignment and interchange at Salisbury hwy..
If they can acquire property for the NSM they can do it for a short stretch of GJR..
Still think we need a proper motorway ring route through the metro though.

bits
Legendary Member!

#677 Post by bits » Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:36 pm

Cutting another freeway or even a more basic significant truck route through the hills surely will never happen.
The Truro bypass or similar is the only way to get a better road than SE Freeway in.

SBD
Legendary Member!

#678 Post by SBD » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:32 pm

Modbury_Man wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:53 pm
Looking on Google Maps I would say a route could be -

Bald Hills Rd, right Old Princes Hwy, left Nairne-Woodside Rd, right Onkaparinga Valley Rd, left Woodside Rd, right Main St Lobethal, left Cudlee Creek Rd, left Gorge Rd, right Tippett Rd, left North East Rd, left Lower North East Rd to Grand Junction Rd. Definitely alot of curves that would need to be straightened out and bridges widened/strengthened!
The "Short North" route to Grand Junction Road was proposed as a possible alternative in the report that canned GlobeLink. I don't think it intended to use the main streets of small towns. It would be a new freeway through the Adelaide Hills. There was also a Short South proposal that constructed a new freeway from south of Mount Barker to meet the NSM near St Marys. Both required a range of bridges and tunnels.

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#679 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri May 22, 2020 11:21 pm

Concept plans for an upgrade of the intersection of Port Road/Cheltenham Parade-West Lakes Boulevard have been released. Some welcome improvements, but the bigger issues remain.

There's stupidly still that little middle bit right in the centre. The Port Road medians should have been narrowed to form a more normal-sized intersection. In addition, many traffic problems are the result of the Grange line.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#680 Post by how good is he » Fri May 22, 2020 11:55 pm

I agree, I can’t understand why they don’t get rid of that lawned triangle area that serves no purpose. Surely Port Rd turning left immediately to West Lakes Boulevard after the train line would be better for traffic flow.