[COM] New Royal Adelaide Hospital | $2.1b

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
urban
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: $1.7bn plan to build a new RAH

#151 Post by urban » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:12 pm

Surely the train station for the hospital should be located as close as possible to North Tce so that it also services UNISA City West?

The proposed location only makes sense if they have another project planned btwn the hospital and the river.

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#152 Post by bmw boy » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:57 pm

champsman wrote:I'm just gonna throw my hat in the ring here, and if anyone else has already suggested this, I apologise.

But what about the Howard Florey Memorial Hospital?? The man is the single most important medical historical figure in just about the whole world, and he came from Adelaide. IMO the inventor/discoveror of Penicillin deserves a hospital named after him.

Cheers,
abit of a delayed debate on the name hit the media heavily yesterday with it in the paper and big news stories and even polls on 9 & 10 News, i'm suprised no one else on her has really touched on it on here... maybe people arnt too fussed on here or are already over it?

Viki Chapman had a go at the name taking a swipe at the govener aswell, which I thought was abit callis.
"I acknowledge that her husband died of cancer and she has supported promoting of the support of research in this area but you know my husband died of cancer and I didn't expect the government to ring me and say, well we'll name this the Vickie Chapman Memorial hospital," she said.

Martin HS, didn't want to discuss the name but was more concerned about the hospital itself and Tresurer Foley was standing firm on the name.

I was reading the responces on AdelaideNow and a large majority felt Howard Florey or simply something involving the name adelaide was more appropiraite, with many not casting aside the govener saying a hospital wing would be more suitable.
i found this one funny....
"Poor little rich girl must be very upset that the wonderful new hospital does not have her name on it. However, all is not lost. There is a very important facility at Bolivar that has never been properly named. I suggest it be named "The Vicky Chapman Sewage Treatment Works" and it coiuld also process some of the content originating from the mouth of Vicky in the future. Both the hospital and the name are approprite!"

I feel sorry for Marj with all this comotion about it, she's such a nice lady and doesnt deserve all this.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#153 Post by Ben » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:56 pm

It should be the Royal Adelaide or Queen Adelaide not a mouthful. Even if she is deserving to have the states main hospital named after her which is not what i'm debating at all, I still think it should be a name that represents the importance as Adelaide and South Australia's main hospital. They should name a wing after her for sure but the actual name of the hospital itself should be kept simple and hold meaning to all South Australians.

This should have gone to public input first.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#154 Post by Will » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:42 pm

The Governor would be widely acclaimed and win more of our respect and admiration if she declined the government's offer to name the hospital after her.

She is a great woman, and has been a good governor, but the name of our major hospital should carry the name of the city. I personally prefer 'Queen Adelaide' hospital.

duke
High Rise Poster!

#155 Post by duke » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:08 pm

The poll on 9 news said that 75% of people don't want the new Hospital name.
The government said for people to basically get over it the name isn't changing.

If the woman had any self respect she would see how many people disprove of using her name and decline the offer.
She may have done good work in the past, but for ever she will be known as the woman to arrogant to decline an the offer.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#156 Post by Shuz » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:24 pm

Only in true SA fashion would our state hospital be named the Marj.
"Whats youse up to today?"
"Gots to visit me cuz in the Marj"

Its so.... derelict.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#157 Post by crawf » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:38 pm

Derelict?, oh gawd now I've heard it all :roll:

I'm still 50/50 on the name, but still believe there should of been a public voting comp for the new name. I think the State Government has been a bit selfish by naming the hospital with out any public input.

Tom
High Rise Poster!

#158 Post by Tom » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:38 pm

Well at least the Government named this one better than those two opening bridges "power bridge" and the other one that is named after a woman who set up kindergartens...... worse names ever!.

We can’t have "Royal" Adelaide Hospital because the new hospital is a treated as a new entity and ever since the 80s we are not allowed to call anything Royal, once the title is removed i.e. show grounds, it can’t be retrieved. I believe this had something to do with the SA Parliament separating its self from the British Parliament. I should of payed more attention in legal studies last year..... :roll: could explain it better then.
Garno!

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#159 Post by Cruise » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:57 pm

Tom wrote:Well at least the Government named this one better than those two opening bridges "power bridge" and the other one that is named after a woman who set up kindergartens...... worse names ever!.

The worst thing is there was so much public input into wether the bridges would be open or closed. Then they just go ahead and name them whatever the hell they want.

As a Port adelaide resident and a Port power supporter even i (and a lot of others like me) think naming a bridge "Power Bridge" is enough to induce vomiting.

Also naming the road bridge "The Mary Mackillop Bridge" is also stupid seeing as she had nothing significant at all to do with the history of Port Adelaide in any shape or form. yeah she set up schools in other areas of adelaide but never Port Adelaide.
And for the record she was born in Victoria

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#160 Post by Shuz » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:45 pm

I wonder who the fuckwit is behind the naming rights of all goverment-affected developments?
Next thing you know we'll have the Anzac Highway underpass being called the Patrick Conlon Underpass. *Induces vomiting*

urban
Legendary Member!

#161 Post by urban » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:45 am

Cruise Control wrote:Also naming the road bridge "The Mary Mackillop Bridge" is also stupid seeing as she had nothing significant at all to do with the history of Port Adelaide in any shape or form. yeah she set up schools in other areas of adelaide but never Port Adelaide.
And for the record she was born in Victoria
Actually Mary MacKillop has a very strong connection to Port Adelaide in particular St Mary's Church was the first Church in SA she was associated with before she went elsewhere.

"The St Mary's Church/Hall complex is of State and National Heritage significance as one of the earliest schools in Australia operated by The Sisters of St Joseph. The complex is associated with Reverend Julian Tenison Woods and Mary MacKillop.
St Mary’s Church was designed by G.S. Kingston and is an attractive and well proportioned example of a Victorian Church. St Mary’s Hall is a simple rectangular gable roofed building notable for being an early documented use of brick cavity wall construction." from a State Heritage report.

bdm
High Rise Poster!

#162 Post by bdm » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:04 am

The public should vote on the new name.

I don't care for courtesy, so I'll just state that I don't give a rats arse about Marjorie Jackson-Nelson. Not many other people do either.

What is wrong with the RAH? Is Labor so rabidly republican that anything with 'Royal' must go?

I really can't figure out any good reason for it to be renamed. I can't.

Better to get it made the 'Royal Adelaide Hospital' again now, rather than have South Australians annoyed and unable to change it later. If I'm not dying, I'll be requesting treatment at a hospital with a slightly less retarded name, than go to the 'Marj'.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#163 Post by crawf » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:38 am

Libs want to rebuild RAH
MICHAEL OWEN, POLITICAL REPORTER

June 19, 2007 02:15am

THE Royal Adelaide Hospital would be rebuilt on its current site by a state Liberal government.

And the city's West End railyards - the proposed the site for the RAH replacement hospital by the Rann Government - would be turned into a cultural, tourism and entertainment area, the state Opposition says.

Liberal Leader Martin Hamilton-Smith this morning will tell State Parliament replacing the RAH with the proposed new Marjorie Jackson-Nelson Hospital on a site west of the Morphett St Bridge is unnecessary.

In his Budget reply speech today, Mr Hamilton-Smith will argue a better plan for the railyards site would be to build on the West End's current tourism and entertainment focus.

The Opposition will launch a three-month public consultation period within weeks to seek submissions on how the site should be "transformed".

The Liberals also will call for expressions of interest from major developers.

Once public feedback has been received, an independent consultant will review the submissions and prepare a report, which will be presented to Parliament in February. Key aspects of a strategy to be pursued by the Liberals if they win government in 2010 include:

BUILDING a new state-of-the-art RAH at its current site on North Tce rather than relocating it, with cost savings of between $300 and $700 million.

CONVERTING the city railyards to parklands linking North Tce to the River Torrens, at a cost of $157 million.

Mr Hamilton-Smith last night said any agreement signed by the Government with the private sector before 2010 to build the "Marj" could be "commercially negotiated out of".

He acknowledged rebuilding the RAH on its current site would cause major disruption, but maintained it could be managed as had happened with other hospital redevelopments around the world.

Hmm, I dont trust the liberals in this state. While the tourism/entertainment proposal for the railyards sound pretty good, I don' t like the idea of the converting it back to parklands (that would be a backward step IMHO). Though Adelaide needs a brand new major hospital and I think the liberals are wasting there time, still its good to see them propose something instead of bitching about the government.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#164 Post by Howie » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:33 am

So shall we cancel all elective surgery while these buildings are built? They really have no grasp of the disruption this would cause to the current RAH.

stelaras
High Rise Poster!

#165 Post by stelaras » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:06 am

crawf wrote:Libs want to rebuild RAH

BUILDING a new state-of-the-art RAH at its current site on North Tce rather than relocating it, with cost savings of between $300 and $700 million.
The current state government has already said that the new "RAH" will be between 300-700 million more expensive than if it were to be rebuilt on its current location...so there really isnt anything new in this!

To add my 5 cents worth here, The libs haven't really factored in the delays in surgery (emergency and elective), significant reduction in available beds and navigation to various departments when buildings are being refurbished...
crawf wrote:Libs want to rebuild RAH

Mr Hamilton-Smith last night said any agreement signed by the Government with the private sector before 2010 to build the "Marj" could be "commercially negotiated out of".
Ide like to see them do that!

To negotiate out of any legally binding contract will cost a hefty amount of money. The developers will ask for hundreds of millions of dollars in compensation. Further, the present state government has said the new hopsital will be ready to operate by 2016 and will take 8 years to build, this means they would have to start building by mid-late 2008. Therefore assuming that the libs win government in 2010 (which i doubt very much) how do they propose to stop the development once building has started??????