News & Discussion: City Revitalisation Initiatives

All other development discussion.
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Integrated Design Commission & Thinkers in Residence cut

#16 Post by SRW » Wed May 30, 2012 8:29 pm

On the contrary, I think good governance is about making good decisions, which save or make money in the long term. Both the IDC and Thinkers In Residence are innovative programmes that contribute to this, and they've been recognised nationally and internationally for this capacity. Disheartening news that they should end before they really got going.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Queen Anne
Donating Member
Donating Member

#17 Post by Queen Anne » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:02 pm

I'm so disappointed by this decision.

The government has to be "seen" to be cutting its cloth? How depressing. This is not a worthwhile saving, just a stage show and they know it! Small thinking at its worst.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#18 Post by SRW » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:15 pm

Queen Anne wrote:I'm so disappointed by this decision.

The government has to be "seen" to be cutting its cloth? How depressing. This is not a worthwhile saving, just a stage show and they know it! Small thinking at its worst.
I know petitions often amount to little, but if you'd like to record your discord, here's one protesting the decision: http://www.communityrun.org/petitions/s ... 1338351869

The more I think about it, the more disappointed I am as well. The IDC and its 5000+ initiative was really starting to change the way people think in this city and giving people who normally leave for brighter lights the confidence that things can and will change here.
Keep Adelaide Weird

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

#19 Post by dsriggs » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:38 pm

The Thinkers In Residence program was a stage show itself. Better to save the money.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#20 Post by rhino » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:46 am

SRW wrote:

I know petitions often amount to little, but if you'd like to record your discord, here's one protesting the decision: http://www.communityrun.org/petitions/s ... 1338351869

The more I think about it, the more disappointed I am as well. The IDC and its 5000+ initiative was really starting to change the way people think in this city and giving people who normally leave for brighter lights the confidence that things can and will change here.
+1
cheers,
Rhino

Queen Anne
Donating Member
Donating Member

#21 Post by Queen Anne » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:33 pm

SRW wrote:

Thanks for the link SRW, I'm going to add my name to this petition, hopefully it makes a difference.
dsriggs wrote:

The Thinkers In Residence program was a stage show itself. Better to save the money.
But this state has been in "saving money" mode for as long as I can remember, and I don't see how that's benefited us.

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#22 Post by omada » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:18 pm

Laudable programs, but honestly what tangible benefits did the programs provide? I am happy to be told BTW.

bva
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: City Revitalisation Initiatives

#23 Post by bva » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:53 am

probably in the wrong place, however, keen to see what happens now the new small bar licence system has passed.

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#24 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:54 am

bva wrote:probably in the wrong place, however, keen to see what happens now the new small bar licence system has passed.
Apparently theres about 10-12 applications already lined up, with the potential for about 20 by year's end.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#25 Post by Wayno » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:30 pm

As an independent non-political body, with ties back to the IDC, this may prove beneficial.

From AdelaideNow
New group to generate evidence-based ideas to revitalise Adelaide

Former Commissioner for Integrated Design Timothy Horton is among those understood to be involved in the Committee for Adelaide. Picture: Matt Turner

SOUTH Australia's best and brightest are being quietly tapped on the shoulder to become part of a "Committee for Adelaide", with a vision to drive economic growth and help the state play to its strengths.

Bespoke Approach partner Ian Smith is one of those behind the initiative, which will bring together 40 to 50 people from various walks of life to generate concrete, evidence-based ideas.

Others understood to be involved at this stage include resources industry veteran Colin Goodall, previously chief financial officer for BP Europe and later BP's senior representative in Russia; independent publisher Joshua Fanning; and Adelaide's former Commissioner for Integrated Design, Timothy Horton.

Mr Smith said while nothing was set in stone at this stage, he envisaged the committee generating a small number of researched, evidence-based proposals each year that would benefit the state.

"It may be around culture, it may be around environment, it may be around the economy," he said.

"They will be substantive."

While it was not fundamentally about business, Mr Smith said the ability to achieve other objectives that enlivened a city was based on a strong economy.

"This is an organisation where you want it to be fresh in terms of the people involved," he said.

"It's broader than business - although fundamentally you've got to have a vibrant economy to do anything, so the economy is front and centre."

The committee had the advantage of not representing sectoral interests, as other lobby groups did.

"What will emerge over time is the coming together of an incredibly wide range of people who are in leadership positions, but not necessarily at the top of large organisations," Mr Smith said.

"You peel the layers back in Adelaide and you get to meet some fascinating people."

The committee will be apolitical, and Mr Smith said that it would not be commenting in a reactive manner on the news of the day.

"This isn't an organisation which should be known for its name, it should be known for its ideas," he said.

"It's not about the names or the profiles of the individuals involved, it's about the ideas and being evidence-based.

"I think there's an onus on us to incubate these ideas and opportunities and take them forward."

Mr Smith said his motivation was to create the sort of city where his children could find a fulfilling high-level job when the time came, which was not necessarily the reality at the moment.

Mr Smith said he hoped to have all of the big four accounting firms and other professional services firms on board, but would also be tapping arts organisations and young entrepreneurs and leaders.

The committee will hold its inaugural meeting in the next few weeks and will be setting up a board, as well as formulating a corporate statement.

COMMITTEE MEMBERS

Chris Sharpley: The managing partner of Ernst & Young in South Australia. He has been providing high-level business and tax advice to South Australian businesses for more than 27 years.

Colin Goodall: The chairman of Adelaide-based AO Energy is a chartered accountant and former chief financial officer for BP Europe.

Jane Yuile: The ANZ Chairman for South Australia is also a non-executive director on numerous boards including Work Cover (SA), the Environmental Protection Authority, Advisory Board of the Centre for Asian Business, South Australian Film Corporation, Built Environs, and Scotch College.

Amanda Blair: Is a broadcaster, columnist, a board member of The Independent Gambling Authority, previously on the Social Inclusion Board and spent six years on the Board of the Adelaide Festival.

Joshua Fanning: An independent publisher who launched creative culture magazine Merge in 2007. In 2010, he set up Magazine Gallery in the city's West End and in December 2010 co-founded the international publication COLLECT.

David Paterson: Joined World Vision Australia in 2007 to oversee its engagement of the Australian community. He now serves as its Chief Innovation Officer, working internationally from Adelaide. He has had an international career in marketing and strategy consulting.

Mark Coughlin: Leads the PwC energy and utilities consulting practice. He continues to hold leadership roles within the accounting profession in Australia and overseas.

Timothy Horton: Is recognised nationally as a thinker on design, innovation and governance practice and was Australia's first Commissioner for Integrated Design based in Adelaide.

Ian Smith: Is managing partner of corporate advisory firm Bespoke Approach. He has advised Australian and international companies for more than 15 years and was CEO of Gavin Anderson & Company (Australia) from 2000 to 2007.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#26 Post by monotonehell » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:56 pm

I like the sound of "evidence based".
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.