Victor Harbor | Developments & News

Developments in Regional South Australia. Including Port Lincoln, Victor Harbor, Wallaroo, Gawler and Mount Barker.
crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#Proposed: Hotel Crown R/D (9 levels) | Victor Harbor

#76 Post by crawf » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:02 am

Old article

$90m Crown Hotel plan unveiled
http://victorharbor.yourguide.com.au/ne ... torypage=2
BY AMIE BROKENSHIRE
20/11/2008 9:31:00 AM
VICTOR HARBOR - Plans for the $90million redevelopment of the Hotel Crown at Victor Harbor have been released.

Property developer Urban Construct and owner of the site, Andrew Gunn, are working together on the project, and lodged the development application to the City of Victor Harbor last Tuesday, November 11. This will now be assessed by council before going before the Council Development Assessment Panel.

The application features a design for a nine storey construction and includes tourism and recreational facilities at the ground level including a sports bar, café and alfresco dining, retail outlets, corporate business function centres and 186 world-class hotel suites.

"We believe that this redevelopment has the potential to attract more than 60,000 visitors a year to Victor Harbor from both the corporate and leisure markets," Urban Construct Chief Executive Todd Brown said.

Mr Gunn is excited about the project and pleased to be working with a company as professional as Urban Construct.

"They keep me informed on everything and they've got the expertise in that field," he said.

"The actual development will be outstanding for Victor Harbor.”

Urban Construct estimates the redevelopment will inject an additional $20million per year into the local economy through local job creation and the economic multiplier effect from increased tourism opportunities.

"That's the most important thing, creating economic activity and creating jobs," Mr Gunn said.

He says over 200 jobs will be created during construction, and approximately 250 permanent jobs on completion, all primarily sourced from the local population.

"The Hotel Crown redevelopment will drive the reinvigoration of the tourism and hospitality industry.

“It will also create significant local job opportunities for the youth of Victor Harbor and inject millions into the local economy," Mr Brown said.

The proposed 'Youth Training Program' is to be implemented as part of the new hotel to ensure career paths for the youth of the region and minimise the outflow of the younger generation.

The redevelopment will position Ocean Street and Railway Terrace as the heart of the town centre, creating new retail opportunities as well as a public plaza providing direct linkages between these two areas.

"The ground level will probably be the best hotel street in the state and function rooms will facilitate 400 to 500 people," Mr Gunn said.

The hotel will be focussed on contributing to the local economy and the restaurants will source produce from local suppliers along the Fleurieu Peninsula, creating an economic ripple effect.

Mr Gunn will remain as the owner/operator when the project is complete and said it's nice to be able to keep such an icon South Australian owned.

The application will be submitted early next year and both parties hope it will meet with council approval.

"We hope so at this stage (it will be approved), it's up to council to decide but it will certainly be of benefit to everyone," Mr Gunn said.

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: #Proposed: Hotel Crown R/D (9 levels) | Victor Harbor

#77 Post by bm7500 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:06 am

I think this will be great for Victor if it goes ahead!
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#78 Post by Wayno » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:24 am

Not sure i like the look of this building. I expect something different in victor harbor - perhaps more of a nautical theme...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#79 Post by Shuz » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:38 am

Bring it on! Looks suhweet. I've been waiting for Victor to get some density into it.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#80 Post by Will » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:32 am

This is excellent news for Victor Harbor!

However I would strongly advise the state government to grant this project major project status, before it is dumbed down or abandoned under influence from all the backwater people.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#81 Post by Cruise » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:59 am

ha ha, no way can i see this being approved

Düsseldorfer
High Rise Poster!

#82 Post by Düsseldorfer » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:15 pm

Cruise wrote:ha ha, no way can i see this being approved
they probably said the same thing about the new hotel development in port lincoln

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#83 Post by Prince George » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:31 pm

Well, at least it's nowhere near Makris' parking-lot-with-attached-retail proposal.

Shuz, you realise that this is a hotel, not residential. This isn't going to increase the density. And Will, you were quite indignant about the articles on the tour down under, don't go treating Victor Harbor the way Syd/Melb treats Adelaide.

If only these buildings didn't all look like they came from the global generic school of design. Again, they could be built almost anywhere - what is there about them that has anything to do with Victor Harbor. The existing Hotel Crown is no beauty queen, but at least you can look at it and say "Well, I must be in Australia", like Burgher houses tell you you're in Holland.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#84 Post by Will » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:56 pm

Prince George wrote:Well, at least it's nowhere near Makris' parking-lot-with-attached-retail proposal.

Shuz, you realise that this is a hotel, not residential. This isn't going to increase the density. And Will, you were quite indignant about the articles on the tour down under, don't go treating Victor Harbor the way Syd/Melb treats Adelaide.

If only these buildings didn't all look like they came from the global generic school of design. Again, they could be built almost anywhere - what is there about them that has anything to do with Victor Harbor. The existing Hotel Crown is no beauty queen, but at least you can look at it and say "Well, I must be in Australia", like Burgher houses tell you you're in Holland.

When I said 'backwater people' I meant the NIMBYs. There are backwater people in Adelaide too. I wasn't having a go at the people of Victor Harbor as such, just their NIMBYs.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#85 Post by crawf » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:52 pm

Prince George wrote:Well, at least it's nowhere near Makris' parking-lot-with-attached-retail proposal.
When the Encounter Bay Village Shopping Centre was first proposed I was dead against it, however now I'm all up for the project only if the carpark/retail space is reduced and cinema axed from the project.

Victor Harbor is a very spread out city growing at a fast rate, so it needs a homemaker centre and a small shopping complex with a department store and supermarket.

In other news, Victor Central Shopping Centre is undergoing a expansion which will include more shops and a Big W. Also a 4 level apartment building on Flinders Parade has been approved by the local council.

Mants
Legendary Member!

#86 Post by Mants » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:02 pm

this one is currently u/c on hindmarsh road at victor harbor. not as large as the crown proposal, but much more aesthetically pleasing
image courtesy of realestate.com.au

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#87 Post by skyliner » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:27 pm

Will wrote:This is excellent news for Victor Harbor!

However I would strongly advise the state government to grant this project major project status, before it is dumbed down or abandoned under influence from all the backwater people.
Agreed. It is great to see victor developing - much potential - but it does'nt need a repeat of the G. Coast. VH has a chance to develop learning from their quite numerous mistakes.

Really like the design as such. Flambouyant styles will not fit current VH atmosperical presence as such. Would hate to see VH get destroyed by cheap commerialist tourism as is the case with some places on the east coast.

SA - STATE ON THE MOVE
Jack.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#88 Post by AtD » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:32 pm

Mants: I think that looks even more generic than the proposed hotel. From that tiny, tiny render we can see a few architectural features such as fins, etc.

Prince George: Residential population estimates include hotel guests generally, depending on the purpose of the estimate. Long term guests are included in ABS estimates (eg Census data).

Does anyone have the address for this site?

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#89 Post by crawf » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:59 pm

2 Ocean Street, Victor Harbor

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#90 Post by AtD » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:32 pm

Thanks.