Mount Gambier | Developments & News

Developments in Regional South Australia. Including Port Lincoln, Victor Harbor, Wallaroo, Gawler and Mount Barker.
Strangled Cat
Gold-Member ;)

Re: #APP: $100m Retail Precinct | Mt Gambier

#61 Post by Strangled Cat » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:05 pm

I've seen similar effects in Geelong with the new Westfield Bay City having just been built. Granted, Geelong is a City of almost 200,000 people, so it can't even be compared to Mount Gambier, but the results were still the same as the concerns that people have over this project. The main drag now being more isolated by foot, with many shops closing down to either move into the redevloped and majorly explanded shopping centre, or just through lack of business due to dwindling numbers of people.

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#62 Post by fabricator » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:26 pm

skyliner wrote:Of interest to those following regional city develkopment - I have noted that 25000 is like an economic development threshold for the places of concern Once reached there appears self generation of the growth and facilities of all kinds - turning the said place into carrying many 'city' characteristics. Eg More than one golf course, bigger sporting facilities, outlying suburbs and shopping centres,(like the one for this thread), big city department stores in the town CBD, many 4 lane roads, Target, bunnings etc etc turn up. MG is at this point now. Will be interesting to watch.
The question I have is why the SA government make no real attempt to make these larger towns bigger, instead they simply make more urban sprawl around Adelaide itself. I mean all these 15,000 odd residents new suburbs, but no attempt to do the same at Mount Gambier or one of the mining cities.
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#63 Post by rhino » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:11 am

The way to do it, IMO, is to subsidize freight transport for industies in the provincial cities to get their materials and finished products from and to Adelaide. Land is cheaper in the provincial cities, so if freight was cheaper, industries could be enticed to re-locate. Industries need workers, workers have families, families need services, service providers have families, and on and on it goes. Unless an industry in a rural centre is surrounded by raw materials (e.g. pine forests which support the Mount Gambier sawmills, or iron ore which supports the Whyalla steel mills) it is easier to locate industry on Adelaide's fringes than in a rural centre. If certain industies in rural areas can meet specifications for subsidized freight, maybe the situation would be different.
cheers,
Rhino

skyliner

#64 Post by skyliner » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:23 pm

fabricator wrote:
skyliner wrote:Of interest to those following regional city develkopment - I have noted that 25000 is like an economic development threshold for the places of concern Once reached there appears self generation of the growth and facilities of all kinds - turning the said place into carrying many 'city' characteristics. Eg More than one golf course, bigger sporting facilities, outlying suburbs and shopping centres,(like the one for this thread), big city department stores in the town CBD, many 4 lane roads, Target, bunnings etc etc turn up. MG is at this point now. Will be interesting to watch.
The question I have is why the SA government make no real attempt to make these larger towns bigger, instead they simply make more urban sprawl around Adelaide itself. I mean all these 15,000 odd residents new suburbs, but no attempt to do the same at Mount Gambier or one of the mining cities.
MG and the SE has been subject to this 'avoidance' at least 40 years. It's almost like it's thought of as Victoria. This seems to manifest in the big ones such as the railway, the hospital issues (were thinking of closing it in MG), isolation, little PR in Adelaide, (last on most things about SA). I just hope the Penola Mill gets going as well as the remains of timbercorp.

SA - STATE ON THE MOVE
Jack.

skyliner

Re: 7st Apartment complex for Mt Gambier

#65 Post by skyliner » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:43 pm

Two points - on ABS site June 2008 MG population was 24985, increasing by 223 over 2007 - 2008, or 0.9% Currently over 25250.

Second, the hospital project is still going ahead as planned according to Boots and Partners on sept 25th. (Border Watch info). Demolition of relevant sections about to start. All taking a long time. To refresh - covert current shell of 5 fllor hospital to apartments, build new 6 floor block and retirement village along the rim of the Valley lake crater.

SA - STATE ON THE MOVE
Jack.

skyliner

#66 Post by skyliner » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:37 pm

Still going ahead on 23/2/10 and STILL no renders obtainable. (see the 'Border watch' - old hospital tags). I wrote to a MG friend of mine to send all info he could find . Here's hoping. The only evidence of anything at present is a recent cutting of the grass.

SA - STATE ON THE MOVE
Jack.

Songsting
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#67 Post by Songsting » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:12 pm

Tue Apr 03, 2007: topic first posted.

Sun Feb 28, 2010:
skyliner wrote:The only evidence of anything at present is a recent cutting of the grass.
Almost three years later... things don't exactly move quickly, do they? (Tumbleweed blows past...)

skyliner

#68 Post by skyliner » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:44 am

I'm getting impatient. All the talk is OK - but the action begs the question as to reality.

SA - STATE ON THE MOVE
Jack.

DM8
High Rise Poster!

#69 Post by DM8 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:48 am

I don't suppose anyone has seen or heard any progress on this one?

I'm probably not going to be able to get to Mt Gambier again until the end of this year, but hoping to still get a chance to go for a wander through the existing structure (photo and video opportunity :D )
"You pay for good roads, whether you have them or not! And it's not the wealth of a nation that builds the roads, but the roads that build the wealth of a nation." ...John F. Kennedy

rhino

$3.2m Mt Gambier airport upgrade

#70 Post by rhino » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:12 pm

$3.2m Mt Gambier airport upgrade
CHRISTOPHER RUSSELL From: AdelaideNow February 18, 2011 11:31AM
MT GAMBIER airport will be upgraded under a $3.2 million program partly funded by the State Government.

The program is part of Grant District Councils 15-year airport redevelopment plan.

The airports main runway, aprons and taxiways will be strengthened to enable larger aircraft to use the South-Easts aerial gateway.

Regional Development Minister Gail Gago said the State Government would contribute up to $500,000 through its Regional Development Infrastructure Fund.

The runway upgrade will assist the operations of Rex Airlines and charter aircraft, and may help attract a second carrier to the region, she said.

The project will boost local employment during the construction phase and afterwards through increased tourism and enhanced transport services.

Grant District mayor Richard Sage said the upgrading would help tourism and business throughout the Limestone Coast and Western Victoria.

The runway, taxiways and aprons at the airport have not been upgraded to any extent since the 1950s and it is great to receive funding to help make this project come to fruition, he said.

As well as the social and economic benefits to the Limestone Coast and Western Victoria, it would help ensure Mt Gambier Airport meets its legal requirements as set out by the Civil Aviation Safety Authority, Mr Sage said.

Ms Gago said the Regional Development Infrastructure Fund plays an important role in the implementation of South Australias Strategic Plan by helping to meet a number of targets for regional jobs, investment and export earnings.

Mt Gambier airport is owned by the district council and has three runways, the longest of which is 1524m long.
cheers,
Rhino

iTouch
Legendary Member!

Re: $3.2m Mt Gambier airport upgrade

#71 Post by iTouch » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:25 pm

good idea
Don't burn the Adelaide Parkland (preservation society)

skyliner

Re: $3.2m Mt Gambier airport upgrade

#72 Post by skyliner » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:58 am

Great! In the 1950's I can remember Viscounte 4 engine piston props going the under Ansett.Much bigger than current planes going there. The new developments would therefore suggest much bigger planes than used by Rex (I think the carriers to MG).

SA - STATE ON THE RISE
Jack.

eKwatee
High Rise Poster!

#73 Post by eKwatee » Tue May 03, 2011 1:28 pm

New listing on Realcommercial. Old hospital site being sold with approvals http://www.realcommercial.com.au/proper ... er-5775761

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#74 Post by fabricator » Sun May 15, 2011 10:46 pm

eKwatee wrote:New listing on Realcommercial. Old hospital site being sold with approvals http://www.realcommercial.com.au/proper ... er-5775761
:shock: So which decade can we expect to see this constructed then ? :wallbash:

Mean while the council have lost their marbles and expect the state government to spend large sums of money to sell the rail corridor to adjacent land owners and merge titles.
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.

skyliner

MOUNT GAMBIER - NEW SHOPPING CENTRE - PENOLA RD

#75 Post by skyliner » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:19 pm

Just read on the 'Border Watch' that an $80m 25000 sq m retail shopping area has been started on 2/6/11. Will be opened in mid 2012. It is a huge affair, with Woolworths (again), Big W, a Master Builder's Home improvement store and an emphasis on a convenience type store mix (40 outlets). Only a few fashion places will be there. At the same time, Commercial St (the 1km long main drag retail area) is being upgraded as well. Employment - about 1000 with ongoing jobs included.

SOURCES - the Border Watch 2/6/11 - 'Retail Investment Lifts City Confidence, and 15/3/11 - 'Shops Complex Ready For Construction".

SA - STATE ON THE MOVE
Jack.