Adelaide Hills | Developments & News

Developments in Regional South Australia. Including Port Lincoln, Victor Harbor, Wallaroo, Gawler and Mount Barker.
JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

Re: More Development for Mt Barker

#16 Post by JamesXander » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:29 pm

I'd like to see a Bowling Alley built in Mt Barker. There isn't alot to do in Mt Barker besides the movies really.

Always thought where the toyota Car yards are would be an ideal location.

The Hills is the place to be at the moment really (besides the CBD that is)

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#17 Post by crawf » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:38 am

Pikey wrote:This is the bare block behind Woolworths, where Herriots used to be yeah? I used to live in Oakbank up until a couple of years ago, so was a frequent visitor to Barker, but since moving to the city, I've forgotten all of Barkers street names!
Yep thats the one. I've been living here for over 3 years now and I still have trouble remembering the street names here :lol:

I agree James there isn't much to do for young people in Mt Barker.

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#18 Post by JamesXander » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:54 pm

Yeah the movies get tiring after a while. Mt Barkshir is still the best place in the hills though.

I just want footy to start again haha.

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#19 Post by Pikey » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:01 am

rhino wrote:
Pikey wrote: I used to live in Oakbank up until a couple of years ago
:shock: Well that one gob-smacked me! Are you serious?
Yeah, my folks still do. I moved out with my GF now wife back in 2002
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#20 Post by crawf » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:47 am

Geez you Adelaidians think the Lecornu Site in North Adelaide is bad, theres a site right smack bang in the Mt Barker town centre that has been vacated for quite some time. The site has massive potential and is a developers dream. However quite a few proposals have vanished or have 'apparently' been rejected such as the Big W/2 level shopping centre with street level shops and cafes - really that has just annoyed the f*ck out of me because it looked good and it would of brought street activity to very dull Hutchinson and Morphett Streets.

However the word is that Woolworths is going to be extended to the site to form a part of a new shopping centre (possibly featuring a Big W) with construction expected by the end of this year - or maybe the year 2028. Like seriously the Adelaide Hills Homemaker Centre was proposed way after the Big W development yet it was completed last year.

Also on another note the Coles supermarket and a few shops in Barker Plaza (right opposite a more larger Coles) has finally closed down. There are plans for a extension and the sign out the front says it will be completed by next month though it hasn't even started (typical Barker). The design looks alright, but it should include undergrouding that ugly carpark which ruins the town centre.

Really most of the Mt Barker Town Centre is just dull and utter crap (except Gawler and Dumas Streets), there are plenty of projects being planned or u/c for the town centre that will give the town centre a well needed makeover, however its a very slow progress. Plus there is no nightlife at all in Mt Barker, the only option you have is Adelaide or the hills towns. Though that will probably change once they finish of the Barker Hotel refurb (though thats a very slow progress aswell) plus there were once plans for a bolling alley for Mt Barker but were rejected. Gawd Mt Barker is so crap I so need to leave, though the hills are very nice (esp the villages like Stirling, Hahndorf, Aldgate etc...).

mt barker rant over for now

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#21 Post by crawf » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:51 am

Geez you Adelaidians think the Lecornu Site in North Adelaide is bad, theres a site right smack bang in the Mt Barker town centre that has been vacated for quite some time. The site has massive potential and is a developers dream. However quite a few proposals have vanished or have 'apparently' been rejected such as the Big W/2 level shopping centre with street level shops and cafes - really that has just annoyed the f*ck out of me because it looked good and it would of brought street activity to very dull Hutchinson and Morphett Streets.

However the word is that Woolworths is going to be extended to the site to form a part of a new shopping centre (possibly featuring a Big W and should of been done before the new Woolies was completed years ago) with construction expected by the end of this year - or maybe the year 2028. Like seriously the Adelaide Hills Homemaker Centre was proposed way after the Big W development yet it was completed last year.

Also on another note the Coles supermarket and a few shops in Barker Plaza (right opposite a more larger Coles) has finally closed down. There are plans for a extension and the sign out the front says it will be completed by next month though it hasn't even started (typical Barker). The design looks alright, but it should include undergrouding that ugly carpark which ruins the town centre.

Really most of the Mt Barker Town Centre is just dull and utter crap (except Gawler, Mann Streets and Druids Avenue), there are plenty of projects being planned or u/c for the town centre that will give the town centre a well needed makeover, however its a very slow progress. Plus there is no nightlife at all in Mt Barker, the only option you have is Adelaide or the hills towns. Though that will probably change once they finish of the Barker Hotel refurb (though thats a very slow progress aswell) plus there were once plans for a bolling alley for Mt Barker but were rejected. Gawd Mt Barker is so crap I so need to leave, though the hills are very nice (esp the villages like Stirling, Hahndorf, Aldgate etc...).

mt barker rant over for now

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#22 Post by Wayno » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:58 am

hey crawf, thanks for the update and pls keep us posted with progress in the hills! i'll definitely visit the Barker Hotel once the refurb is done...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Will409
Legendary Member!

#23 Post by Will409 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:19 am

crawf wrote:Gawd Mt Barker is so crap I so need to leave, though the hills are very nice (esp the villages like Stirling, Hahndorf, Aldgate etc...).
Come to the northern suburbs, never a dull moment here :wink:
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#24 Post by Shuz » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:07 pm

Come to the inner southern suburbs. No gangfights or teenage mothers walking about around unlike the northern districts. :lol:

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#25 Post by Cruise » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:11 pm

lol i saw 3 single mothers today with a couple of kids each :lol:

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#26 Post by rhino » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:37 pm

Cruise wrote:lol i saw 3 single mothers today with a couple of kids each :lol:
Hmmm - interesting - how could you tell they were single mothers?
cheers,
Rhino

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#27 Post by Cruise » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:49 pm

well i was checking 2 of them out (separate times) and i got the look back, i would never do that though, i would prefer to :wank:

and the other one had had kids of different ethnicity.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#28 Post by AtD » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:42 pm

Gee Cruise are you sure your last name isn't Hanson?

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#29 Post by crawf » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:04 pm

Back to the topic, Stage 1 of the Barker Plaza Redevelopment has been sold which will include Dick Smiths Electronics, Reject Shop, Gloria Jeans and another store. Stage 2 is now on sale

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#30 Post by AG » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:33 am

Mt Barker housing land flood
RUSSELL EMMERSON, REAL ESTATE EDITOR
February 23, 2008 12:10am
MT BARKER has more than 1200 housing lots coming on to the market following approval of another 71-lot development.

The Mt Barker Council last week approved Nu Urban's extension to its Spring Park Farm development on Gum Tree Drive, to be called Spring Park Rise.
Selling agent Darren Pope of Pope Nitschke First National Real Estate said the plan was to release 26 lots in the first stage early next month but high demand for land in the area could mean all lots would be released at once.

"We have been overwhelmed by more than 300 registrations (of interest)," he said.

"They still have to go into sales but there is a good chance we will develop stages two and three at the same time."

The Mt Barker region – including Littlehampton, Meadows and Macclesfield – is expanding quickly with plans for more than 1000 new homes.

Listed property developer Devine Group this week announced the purchase of a 20 ha parcel in nearby Meadows. The company plans to build 200 houses on the site for an expected $30 million.

Walker Corporation and Day Corp signed the first contract for their 835-lot Bluestone development at Mt Barker late last year, and two other projects are under way for another 70 homes.

The average price for homes in Mt Barker increased 13 per cent to $305,500 last year, according to The Advertiser's Property Guide liftout, released today.

But the average land price fell three per cent to $175,250.

Mr Pope said land in the new development would sell for up to $250,000 given its location and views.

"Prices (in the area) have gone up. I wouldn't be surprised if we were up with the prices north and south of the city, but it is still affordable."

Mt Barker mayor Ann Ferguson said the area's rural setting and proximity to Adelaide was driving demand, creating its own challenges for the council. "We are the fastest growing non-coastal council in Australia and Mt Barker is the second busiest council outside the Gold Coast for planning," she said.

"It is a huge challenge to manage our traffic because there is so much planning in roads and roundabouts."

Ms Ferguson said the council was working on a Master Transport Plan and also would work towards a ring road.