#Projects: Mount Barker

Developments in Regional South Australia. Including Port Lincoln, Victor Harbor, Wallaroo, Gawler and Mount Barker.
Verbatim9
Gold-Member ;)

#Projects: Mount Barker

#1 Post by Verbatim9 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:10 am

The Advertiser---> Mount Barker council considering proposal for new town square
Mount Barker council considering proposal for new town square
Construction of a traditional European-style town centre, like Dam Square in Amsterdam, is set to transform Mount Barker.

Lydia Kellner, The Adelaide Hills News
Subscriber only
March 18, 2020 4:12pm
Mount Barker District Council and Burke Urban have joined forces to develop a new town square at 1 Hutchinson Street.

Mount Barker Council is considering proposals for a new European-style town square, with buildings that wrap around a central courtyard.

Concept plans may includes a plan for multistorey offices, residential and hotel buildings, a library, a new council chambers.

It will form part of the council’s City Centre Renewal Project, which aims to breath new life and opportunities into the Hills.

A town square design proposal put forward to Mount Barker District Council by the local residents association.
Mayor Ann Ferguson said for the multimillion-dollar undertaking to progress, a number of private investors would be needed.

A number of sites for the project are currently being considered.

“It’s a really exciting undertaking and ideally, I’d like to see it all built before the next election in 2022,” Ms Ferguson said.

“It will form part of the City Centre Renewal Project, for which we recently ran a national expressions of interest campaign for to get a number of private investors on board.

“Staff are currently in discussion with final applicants, but that’s all I can say about it as this point as we’re at a sensitive stage in the negotiations.

“What I can say is that the development aims to significantly elevate and transform the role of the centre to have a longstanding impact for the region.”

General Manager of Planning and Development Marc Voortman said the project has been prompted by private sector interest.

“Council has commenced and is still within a competitive expression of interest process, which presents an opportunity for the private sector to put forward proposals to partner with the council in creating a significant and innovative development within our city,” he said.

“Together, there is an opportunity to incorporate community and civic facilities with a range of commercial activities, all of which provide an important economic, employment and place making boost for Mount Barker and beyond.

“This dynamic mix of uses has the potential for a development that significantly elevates and transforms the role of the centre to have a long standing impact for the region.

“Should Council reach a point of selecting a preferred party, community engagement around the proposal and the proposed development will occur, which is critical to the success of the project.”

Mount Barker and District Residents Association Chair Dianne van Eck said the town square project had been a long time coming.

She said the association had been a strong supporter for the square and even contracted a private architect to design a concept plan for the council.

“We’re very much supportive of the town square and will continue to work with the council and developers to deliver what the community wants,” she said.

“We’ve gathered feedback for the council (on the plan), had a concept plan drawn up by local architect Geof Nairn and presented it to council through a deputation.

“We’re now just waiting for the EOI process to be completed so that we can continue the process of working with council to deliver an agreeable outcome.

Verbatim9
Gold-Member ;)

Re: #Projects: Mount Barker

#2 Post by Verbatim9 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:13 am

Looks like a great development. Will be a huge improvement. They could have a skating rink in the middle during Winter. The perimeter could be lined with cafes and bars looking onto the square, as they are in Europe

PeFe
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3 Post by PeFe » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:09 pm

Wow look at those 5 or 6 six storey buildings !

Don't know how the good citizens of Mt Barker will react to that.......remember this is a state where any building over 2 storeys is HIGH - RISE!!

By the way I like the proposal....

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#4 Post by Eurostar » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:19 pm

I would like the site to be a gardens for people to relax and picnic

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#5 Post by rhino » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:21 pm

I don't expect that plaza to be particularly large after all those buildings go in. The available land is not huge.
cheers,
Rhino

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#6 Post by Eurostar » Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:38 pm

Mount Barker South is set to open in late 2023, with plans including a full-line supermarket Woolworths, BWS bottleshop, pharmacy, and multiple specialty stores.
https://www.peet.com.au/communities/ade ... south-2023
Attachments
BluestoneWoolies1200x800.jpg

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#7 Post by Norman » Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:56 pm

Hopefully they will change the name before they open, "Mount Barker South" is truly uninspiring. It will also be interesting what opening hours the Woolworths will have, as there are no trading restrictions in the area.

Modbury_Man
Gold-Member ;)

#8 Post by Modbury_Man » Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:10 pm

Norman wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:56 pm
Hopefully they will change the name before they open, "Mount Barker South" is truly uninspiring. It will also be interesting what opening hours the Woolworths will have, as there are no trading restrictions in the area.
I'd say it would mirror the hours of the existing Woolworths at Mt Barker (7am to 10pm seven days a week including public holidays). I know Coles does 6am to 10pm seven days at Mt Barker, and Kmart is 8am to 9pm (8pm on weekends and public holidays). I was up there over Easter and quite incredible how busy Kmart and the supermarkets (Aldi, Coles, Woolworths) all were on Easter Sunday and Easter Monday. Some speciality shops were open too (like EB Games).

I know the full sized Foodlands at Nairne, Littlehampton, Woodside and Lobethal also trade 7:30am to 9pm all day every day. Quite interesting how it's not deemed the 'metropolitan area' for shop trading yet is within the 'Greater Adelaide Metropolitan Area' area for public transport and planning policies.

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#9 Post by A-Town » Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:49 pm

Modbury_Man wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:10 pm
Norman wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:56 pm
I'd say it would mirror the hours of the existing Woolworths at Mt Barker (7am to 10pm seven days a week including public holidays). I know Coles does 6am to 10pm seven days at Mt Barker, and Kmart is 8am to 9pm (8pm on weekends and public holidays). I was up there over Easter and quite incredible how busy Kmart and the supermarkets (Aldi, Coles, Woolworths) all were on Easter Sunday and Easter Monday. Some speciality shops were open too (like EB Games).

I know the full sized Foodlands at Nairne, Littlehampton, Woodside and Lobethal also trade 7:30am to 9pm all day every day. Quite interesting how it's not deemed the 'metropolitan area' for shop trading yet is within the 'Greater Adelaide Metropolitan Area' area for public transport and planning policies.
Shop trading laws in SA are outdated and archaic. The ridiculous argument that small independent retailers won't survive if the laws were relaxed in Adelaide is shot down when you look at how these traders are doing in Mount Barker. And yes, there is also a thriving IGA in Mount Barker.

bits
Legendary Member!

#10 Post by bits » Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:18 pm

A-Town wrote:And yes, there is also a thriving IGA in Mount Barker.
Pretty sure that IGA store if it were in Adelaide would be too large and would have standard trade restrictions applied.
So not sure what your angle is here. That size store is not what the trade restrictions are intended to protect.